Washing Machine

Posted 23rd Aug 2020
My 10 year old LG is making a racket. I have done all the diagnostics and have coming to the conclusion it's worth getting a replacement. I am single and do about 1-2 loads a week, lots of sports washing.

I have a budget of c£400 and have gravitated towards:
BOSCH Serie 6 WAT28450GB = £399
BOSCH Serie 4 WAN28280GB = £389

But honestly cannot tell the difference. I think Series 6 is made in Germany and also appears to be much quieter. Any thoughts?
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
hotdealsscotland23/08/2020 23:16

Comment deleted

Dont bother with samsung machines. We replaced our old LG machine with a samsung and it is no where near as good as the LG was.
Just seen some of the reviews and deleted my comments oops. Yes awful reviews.

I went to suggest John Lewis for very long guarantees but i know sometimes they dont help.
BOSCH Serie 6 WAT28450GB Same as mine .
Don't think german means reliability. That's just marketing and advertising your falling for.

Most German branded stuff has mediocre reliability at best in my experience. And at the end of day is overpriced.
In what way is it making a noise? could be a very simple/cheap fix like needs new shock absorbers
MonkeysUncle24/08/2020 01:13

Don't think german means reliability. That's just marketing and …Don't think german means reliability. That's just marketing and advertising your falling for. Most German branded stuff has mediocre reliability at best in my experience. And at the end of day is overpriced.

My personal experience with Bosch and Miele appliances has been excellent.
mas9924/08/2020 05:04

In what way is it making a noise? could be a very simple/cheap fix like …In what way is it making a noise? could be a very simple/cheap fix like needs new shock absorbers

It makes a really loud creaking/grinding noise on the "Washing" part of the cycle. On the spin cycle it is quieter. I have checked the levelling, waste pipe, filter etc. Not taken off the back yet but thinking if it's that old/came with the flat, will end up spending half the cost of a new one on fixing.

Series 6?
We have a Series 4, that's good. Got it to replace our 15 year old Bosch.
As for the creaking could be a simple fix like the belt getting old (stiff and dry).
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 24th Aug
we had two Samsungs, their most expensive ones and issues with both, second one broke after 1 wash, Customer Service was shocking and in the end we went back to LG. Our machine was 9 years old when the barings went, and though I was annoyed that 9 years wasnt long enough nowadays sadly it is. We went back to LG as the washer was excellent, we got the turbo wash which does a full wash in no time and the fact that it comes with the full 5 year warranty. Unfortunately not many do.
echelon_10124/08/2020 08:50

It makes a really loud creaking/grinding noise on the "Washing" part of …It makes a really loud creaking/grinding noise on the "Washing" part of the cycle. On the spin cycle it is quieter. I have checked the levelling, waste pipe, filter etc. Not taken off the back yet but thinking if it's that old/came with the flat, will end up spending half the cost of a new one on fixing. Series 6?

I replaced the bearings on my 11 year old Zanussi about 7 months ago, total cost £28, that was for good quality NTN bearings and genuine zanussi tub and bearing seals and I already had some waterproof grease. A fair bit of dismantling, but well worth the effort.

But, if the spider has had it too, or if the tub welded, it is probably not worth the cost.
Edited by: "melted" 24th Aug
looking at those 2, the serie 4 is 8kg, the serie 6 is 9kg and also higher spin.
My Bosch is leaking out of the drum, think I need a replacement too
MonkeysUncle24/08/2020 01:13

Don't think german means reliability. That's just marketing and …Don't think german means reliability. That's just marketing and advertising your falling for. Most German branded stuff has mediocre reliability at best in my experience. And at the end of day is overpriced.

Many Bosch models are manufactured in Poland now.
Ringfinger24/08/2020 09:36

We have a Series 4, that's good. Got it to replace our 15 year old Bosch. …We have a Series 4, that's good. Got it to replace our 15 year old Bosch. As for the creaking could be a simple fix like the belt getting old (stiff and dry).

Or maybe bearing failure which would be a bit bigger job.
awms24/08/2020 11:35

My Bosch is leaking out of the drum, think I need a replacement too

Replace the seal, videos online . Simple enough.
melted24/08/2020 11:02

I replaced the bearings on my 11 year old Zanussi about 7 months ago, …I replaced the bearings on my 11 year old Zanussi about 7 months ago, total cost £28, that was for good quality NTN bearings and genuine zanussi tub and bearing seals and I already had some waterproof grease. A fair bit of dismantling, but well worth the effort.But, if the spider has had it too, or if the tub welded, it is probably not worth the cost.

on LG with the way they are built it’s a big job, massive according to reports, parts are cheap but replacing for the diyer and even for someone who knows what they are doing is complex
eslick24/08/2020 17:05

on LG with the way they are built it’s a big job, massive according to r …on LG with the way they are built it’s a big job, massive according to reports, parts are cheap but replacing for the diyer and even for someone who knows what they are doing is complex

I doubt they'd be more difficult than mine, I had to unscrew pretty much everything, save the two pumps and the dampers on my Zanussi to swap the bearings:-

41744660-HwsPf.jpg
If the LG is direct drive, it may have the additional issue of rusty water getting in the motor.
I mean that's way beyond my competence/level of interest and would likely result in collateral damage.
melted24/08/2020 17:43

I doubt they'd be more difficult than mine, I had to unscrew pretty much …I doubt they'd be more difficult than mine, I had to unscrew pretty much everything, save the two pumps and the dampers on my Zanussi to swap the bearings:-[Image] If the LG is direct drive, it may have the additional issue of rusty water getting in the motor.

Haha yeah, looks very similar the drum comes apart into many pieces as from what I remember, supposed to be an all day job.
drum seal? all the videos i see are about the door seal
awms25/08/2020 15:50

drum seal? all the videos i see are about the door seal

Usually leaks round the door seal then can run down the drum.
Ringfinger25/08/2020 21:28

It's not the drum seal unfortunately, that was the first thing I inspected before taking off the panels.
Ringfinger25/08/2020 21:28

It appears a bracket has broken and the drum now rests out of place pushing a rubber connection sleeve to sit out of place on the back of the drum which the water just flows out of onto the ground. Cant find the bracket online anywhere either unfortunately...
awms26/08/2020 08:53

It appears a bracket has broken and the drum now rests out of place …It appears a bracket has broken and the drum now rests out of place pushing a rubber connection sleeve to sit out of place on the back of the drum which the water just flows out of onto the ground. Cant find the bracket online anywhere either unfortunately...

Is it a damper that's broken? Something like this?
Ringfinger26/08/2020 10:14

Is it a damper that's broken? Something like this?

41757104-F69Is.jpg
41757104-nYamX.jpg
41757104-Whbrb.jpg

Thank you for your assistance. The first photo shows the broken bracket. Theres also the sleeve in background which is loosely onto the back of the drum that leaks out the water.

Second photo shows something f that I found at bottom of machine inside.

Third photo shows black hose that’s also disconnected.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you
I can't advise you any more on the sleeve etc other than in the 3rd photo it looks like a wire has rubbed. That needs checking before you do anything else to make sure there is no exposed wiring.
As for the bracket in the first picture.. remove the part still attached and go to a local engineer's with both pieces and pay £5-£10 to get them to fabricate a replacement. It's not a finely engineered part with defined tolerances, it's merely strong support.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 26th Aug
Make sure you measure the space first to ensure the new machine will fit. I was looking a few months back but I'm sticking with my current machine until it stops washing properly.

I would go for the Series 6 - it seems to get tops in the reviews, cleans slightly better that others apparently, not sure how they can really tell the difference.
Ringfinger26/08/2020 12:35

I can't advise you any more on the sleeve etc other than in the 3rd photo …I can't advise you any more on the sleeve etc other than in the 3rd photo it looks like a wire has rubbed. That needs checking before you do anything else to make sure there is no exposed wiring.As for the bracket in the first picture.. remove the part still attached and go to a local engineer's with both pieces and pay £5-£10 to get them to fabricate a replacement. It's not a finely engineered part with defined tolerances, it's merely strong support.

cheers ringfinger i'll hopefully get it fixed
In the end bought the Series 6 and an induction hob as well. Thank you for all the comments and suggestions.
Post a comment
@
    Text