Washing machine and dryer.

Found 6th Oct 2017
Me and the mrs have just moved in together
It's just the 2 of us so wondering what kg washing machine we would need,
What brands to avoid and if you know of any good offers at the moment.
Any help is appreciated 😁

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

Personally I would go for a branded product. As there are only the two of you, you only really need one that holds around 7kg of washing, rather than lots of programs I would suggest looking at those that have a quick wash (30 mins cycle) or economy wash around 60 mins. Unless you're preparing to wash heavily soiled clothes like team football kits then a more basic model will be ok.
something like this perhaps Currys

op, can you just clarify if you need 2 separate appliances or just one combined washer/dryer

We have Miele washing machine and tumble dryer. Can’t fault either, would highly recommend if that is within your price range. Ao are doing 0% finance on them atm. But check about on the internet as some places do special offers and Miele also do cashback on certain models. Hope this helps.

Depends on your budget.

I got the cheapest washer & dryer in one, that John Lewis had and 3 years later it's perfectly fine.

Original Poster

Toptrumpet4 h, 27 m ago

Personally I would go for a branded product. As there are only the two of …Personally I would go for a branded product. As there are only the two of you, you only really need one that holds around 7kg of washing, rather than lots of programs I would suggest looking at those that have a quick wash (30 mins cycle) or economy wash around 60 mins. Unless you're preparing to wash heavily soiled clothes like team football kits then a more basic model will be ok.something like this perhaps Currysop, can you just clarify if you need 2 separate appliances or just one combined washer/dryer

I would like a 2 in 1 but I have heard bad reviews on them unless you pay a lot of money.
Trying to budget around £400 for both but would be willing to pay £500 for a reliable 2 in 1

Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

LG for the washer, if you have the room have separate condensing dryer. Based on 30 years experiance.

There is two schools of thought on this and other white good purchases.
Buy expensive and hopefully it will give years and years of service with a solid backup from the manufacturer if something breaks.
Buy cheap and expect to replace every few years.

I'm not convinced of the expensive argument as I have a cheap Indesit washer which is 15 years old. It has broken twice, parts from Amazon and a youtube video to repair, cost pennies.
Also, white goods begin to look tired, especially dishwashers, and I new one is nice to have every so often.
I'm just about to change tactic on the Dryer. These seem to have the shortest shelf life in my experience, so I'm going to try an expensive one next time.

In my flat fortunately I have room for both and dedicate Saturdays to washing and ironing. The good thing about having both is that each wash lasts around 70 minutes and then I put it straight into the tumble dryer for 60 minutes. Heavy items such as jeans are dried with lighter items such as underwear and cotton shirts, I do 3 washes (darks, coloured and whites) and in theory have a conveyor belt system throughout the day.
However, my tenant has a smaller flat and only room for a combined washer/dryer. I upgraded the appliance slightly as I knew it would be used differently. The 7kg drum is large enough for two but after washing the dryer seems to struggle to dry the mixed weight load and for the most effective drying method the heavy items and lighter clothes are divided and tumbled dried on separate 60 mins cycles. So where as I can wash and tumble dry one load in 2 hours, my tenant takes 3 hours. If you plan to do your washing throughout the week then a combined appliance will be ok, but if you really want to only do the washing at weekends this us something else to think about.
Don't be tempted to use a clothes horse for the lighter items as many people experience damp and ventilation issues. And nothing looks worse than socks and underpants in full view all the time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions