Expired

Washing machine broken 5 days out of warranty! Sales of goods act?

Found 22nd Aug 2011
Right as the title says our washing machine has had it 5 days out of warranty for crying out loud. Got it from Dixons online, I've heard of this sales of goods act thing guys so can anyone advise me on what I can do here? many thanks

21 Comments

What was the original warranty period?

FYI: [ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/ps3-just-died/999876?p=12000998 ]

When “The Sale of Goods Act 1979″ was amended in 1994 it included a clause to say that goods purchased from a trader must correspond with the description, be of satisfactory quality, & be fit for purpose with a continued operation over a “reasonable” length of time.

If the goods are not of “satisfactory quality” you are entitled to claim a refund or compensation (that typically represents the cost of any repairs).

You may make a claim up to five (in Scotland) or six years after the initial purchase date.

The retailer, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to resolve any issue with the goods.

The terms of the Consumer Law are in excess of the standard one-year guarantee provided by the manufacturer.

Extended warranties are, again, in addition to the cover provided by “The Sale of Goods Act”.

BFN,

fp.

Banned

contact the manufacturer - some are quite reasonable

Original Poster

The Manufacturer Warranty was for one year. It was an Indesit washing machine which had 1 year warranty, with a 5 year parts warranty also.

Original Poster

Guys since I bought it online does the distance sales of good act differ from the normal?

The End

The Manufacturer Warranty was for one year. It was an Indesit washing … The Manufacturer Warranty was for one year. It was an Indesit washing machine which had 1 year warranty, with a 5 year parts warranty also.

Then you won't get a new washing machine, but new parts instead.

The End

Guys since I bought it online does the distance sales of good act differ … Guys since I bought it online does the distance sales of good act differ from the normal?

Not as far as warranty repairs go.

Get in touch with Indesit, they may help.

Banned

Should have used Calgon.

Original Poster

The machine won't even start, it's probably a chip issue. I'm going to phone Dixons in a bit and try to sound like I know about this consumer law thingy, I mean the Sales of Goods act ammended in 1994...lol

The End

The machine won't even start, it's probably a chip issue. I'm going to … The machine won't even start, it's probably a chip issue. I'm going to phone Dixons in a bit and try to sound like I know about this consumer law thingy, I mean the Sales of Goods act ammended in 1994...lol

Don't try and sound like you know if you don't.
Just explain the situation to them, and report back to the forum what they have told you.

Original Poster

Thanks. I've read a bit more about this law and the below quote I got explains it well. It seems that if Dixons try to deny they are responsible could actually mean they face a criminal prosecution! Read the last bit in quotes.

Customers' rights last for six years The law says that a customer can … Customers' rights last for six years The law says that a customer can approach you with a claim about an item they purchased from you for up to six years from the date of sale (five years after discovery of the problem in Scotland).This does not mean that everything you sell has to last six years from the date of purchase! It is the time limit for the customer to make a claim about an item. During this period, you are legally required to deal with a customer who claims that their item does not conform to contract (is faulty) and you must decide what would be the reasonable amount of time to expect the goods to last. A customer cannot hold you responsible for fair wear and tear.The six-year period is not the same as a guarantee, but it does mean that even where the guarantee or warranty supplied with the product has ended, your customer may still have legal rights.Complying with the lawYou cannot remove a customer's legal rights, for example by displaying a notice saying 'we do not give refunds under any circumstances' or 'credit notes only in the case of faulty items'.It is also against the law to mislead consumers about their legal rights - this could lead to a criminal prosecution under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

The End

The machine won't even start, it's probably a chip issue. I'm going to … The machine won't even start, it's probably a chip issue. I'm going to phone Dixons in a bit and try to sound like I know about this consumer law thingy, I mean the Sales of Goods act ammended in 1994...lol

we got an an indesit washing machine just over a year ago and ours has a 5 year parts guarantee with indesit. I think its the same for all their washing machines?? give them a call...

Original Poster

You have to give the retailer a call not the manufacturer. I'll phone Dixons in about 15 mins and report back!

greenhell

we got an an indesit washing machine just over a year ago and ours has a … we got an an indesit washing machine just over a year ago and ours has a 5 year parts guarantee with indesit. I think its the same for all their washing machines?? give them a call...

greenhell

we got an an indesit washing machine just over a year ago and ours has a … we got an an indesit washing machine just over a year ago and ours has a 5 year parts guarantee with indesit. I think its the same for all their washing machines?? give them a call...

Your parts guarantee is almost worthless.
They will replace the part free of charge, but do you from behind with the labour charge.

Supermod

You have to speak with the retailer first of all and not the manufacturer. You do not have a contract with the manufacturer. It is the retailer who you have a contract with and it is therefore the retailer that has a contract with the manufacturer.

However, that doesn't stop you contacting them.

Unfortunately, this is Dixons part of the Currys / PC World outfit, good luck with getting any help from them.

Inactive

Unfortunately, this is Dixons part of the Currys / PC World outfit, good … Unfortunately, this is Dixons part of the Currys / PC World outfit, good luck with getting any help from them.

Yup agreed. If it was a company like Argos you would most likely get a new washing machine.

Gl anyway

Bad choice # 1 = Indesit

Bad choice # 2 = Dixons.

The End

Be polite, explain the problem and give them the chance to provide good customer service before you run in quoting law and expectation.

Original Poster

Right an update: I phoned Dixons and acted like I really knew the law, they bought it and within seconds I was talking to someone who took my details and gave me a case number and said they would investigate. Pretty much the next day they called me to say when the Indesit engineer would come and fix it.

He arrived and said he needed to order a new part so could take about a week, however, the next day someone else called and said part arrived early and today our machine is all fixed!

That was easy and FREE!

This is because you have a 5 year parts warranty.

The End

Right an update: I phoned Dixons and acted like I really knew the law, … Right an update: I phoned Dixons and acted like I really knew the law, they bought it and within seconds I was talking to someone who took my details and gave me a case number and said they would investigate. Pretty much the next day they called me to say when the Indesit engineer would come and fix it. He arrived and said he needed to order a new part so could take about a week, however, the next day someone else called and said part arrived early and today our machine is all fixed!That was easy and FREE!

Good man.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions