Washing Machine Flood...any pointers?

Found 20th May 2017
Hmm...just moved out of a rented property where I'd swapped the existing washer/dryer for our own washing machine, as the incumbent one was useless at drying anything.

We've switched them back today as we're moving out, left the house for a couple of hours and came back to a flood. Originally I assumed it was the connection at the back of the washer/dryer, but the odd thing is that the drum has filled with water as well, which I'm not convinced could be caused by the hose not being connected properly? The other possibility was that I've since realised that I forgot to check that the washer was present on the hose before connecting it, but again how could that fill the drum of the machine as well? The mains water has been disconnected at the stop-cock while we're letting it dry out, but if anyone has any ideas of things to look for tomorrow it would be a great help...thanks in advance!

18 Comments

....didn't disconnect water before swapping machines over and ascertaining correctly installed?

Get a plumber you will just bodge further.

Did you connect the drain pipe?

Original Poster

I disconnected at the tap under the sink, turned it back on after putting it in etc and there wasn't any immediate sign of leakage, my concern is that the washer seems to be full of water as well as the flood, if it was flooding out the back due to a faulty hose connection would the drum fill as well, or is it possibly a fault somewhere in the washer?

Original Poster

yep, drain pipe and Mains connection are both there and dry so it's either at the back of the unit (integrated) or inside it...

Could be the inlet solenoid valve stuck open. Drain the machine and see if it slowly fills again with the power off.

sounds like the inlet valve is allowing water to pass. open the dispenser and see if water is trickling in. naturally to test this you would need the water supply on. it's the only explanation for the drum being full of water.

Original Poster

gazdoubleu

Could be the inlet solenoid valve stuck open. Drain the machine and see … Could be the inlet solenoid valve stuck open. Drain the machine and see if it slowly fills again with the power off.

​ Thanks will give that a go tomorrow, although not sure I want to risk any more water!

IndianaBlues

​ Thanks will give that a go tomorrow, although not sure I want to risk a … ​ Thanks will give that a go tomorrow, although not sure I want to risk any more water!

​It won't leak again if it is the inlet valve as long as you drain it when you see water in the drum and then switch off the water to the washer

The fact water is in the drum (I assume you have not used the machine) suggests a problem with the washer, not the supply pipework - the automatic valve on the water inlet must be passing water somehow?? The leak on the floor might be from the machine "overflowing" into the room - was the door left open??

I'd check the fill valve by putting the power and water onto the machine and setting it to start on say a rinse cycle so that the valve should open - allow a little water to flow for say 30 seconds or so - this will prove the valve is open. Then stop that program - power off or whatever - and check that the water flow stops - this should prove the valve works. If there has been anything (debris??) in the valve which has prevented it from being fully shut then it may have been flushed out when the valve was fully open. If water continues to flow then the fill valve is not fully shutting for some reason. I would have thought the valve would be designed to fail in the closed position so what I;m suggesting is unlikely but the best I can think of!

If the water does appear to stop then I suggest you have to leave it for a little while and check say every 5/10 minutes just in case the valve is passing very slowly.

Good luck.

I second that, keeping the water switched off will stop the leak. inlet valves can be tricky to change on washer dryers but certainly not impossible

addi564

I second that, keeping the water switched off will stop the leak. inlet … I second that, keeping the water switched off will stop the leak. inlet valves can be tricky to change on washer dryers but certainly not impossible

If an inlet valve failed on the supplied washer/ dryer, then I imagine it wouldn't be the tenant's responsibility to repair it anyway?

Inlet valve has opened and pressure switch has failed to do its job. Take top off and between front of drum and cabinet you should see a pipe around 1cm diameter coming up from drum into the pressure switch which may be shaped like a disc,usually with three wires going to it and the pipe. Pull the pipe off here and either blow down it or squirt some hot water down it with a syringe. The switches fail very rarely a blocked pipe is most likely culprit, this would detect the water level exceeding the fill level and kick in the drain pump.

nah, not the pressure switch as the machine wasn't started. It was just reconnected to the supply. Almost certainly something has got in the water inlet valve and made a home thus blocking it open during the time stored in the garage. Disconnect the water inlet pipe and blow out the cavity with an air gun or something then run the machine on a cycle and should be fine.

Original Poster

Thanks all, I'll give all those a go, it was stored in the cupboard under the stairs so anything making a home in there would be limited to spiders (hopefully)...

I had the same, there is a small thin black pipe that fills with water as the drum fills and then cuts the water off, mine had a hole in it so didn't cut the water off
washing machine engineer sorted it quickly.

As skipperjonce says, if not started it's not pressure switch. possibly lime build up gone crusty as the water in the system dried out. it will, hopefully, operate correctly once it starts working. Flush it or blow it through. You could try squeezing some descaler into the inlet ( I wouldn't recommend it as you don't know how it may affect the other pipework or sensors down the line) it may help clear it.
If you can't sort it, rather than get charged for a new machine (taken off your deposit), buy a working second hand one from gumtree etc, save yourself a couple of hundred pounds.
Edited by: "mrty" 21st May 2017

I had a similar issue and ensured the cold inlet and the waste pipes were secured fastened properly. This did not work! The issue was the the cold inlet pipe was 'kinked' before the 'metal crimped part'. I have to buy a new hose for a couple of quid.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, the machine was cycled through the rinse program and everything behaved as it should, hopefully as others have said there was some build-up that was in the inlet valve that's now been flushed through, but we've left the water off just in case.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants