Washing machine has gone wrong at 23 months old, anything I can do?

Found 28th Jul 2012
Evening all, was really hoping for some advice.

I have a Beko washing machine which is just short of 2 years old, I bought it from Argos.

It has just started playing up within the last 2 weeks but when I checked on the beko website it says they give 1 year warranty.

I haven't had a problem like this before so was just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers, please? I have heard before about the sale of goods act and that you can expect something I last a reasonable amount of time but I am not clued up enough to quote it, is it worth trying to contact Argos or Beko or am
I stuck? Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks all x
Community Updates
MiscWashing Machine
24 Comments
nope
garbage456

nope

Good helpful advice X)
If you're using the sales of goods act then you need to contact Argos because they are the retailer, if you're trying to get it fixed under a manufacturers warranty (which could well only be 12months) then you contact Beko.

You're right that the sales of goods act stats that electronic goods should last a reasonable amount of time, a washing machine should last longer than two years so I think you'd have a good case. Only thing I would point out is that they could turn round and say that you have not taken good care of the washer, for example if you live in a place with hard water and you've not taken steps to combat the effects of the water.

Hope you get it sorted.
Contact argos, if you don't get anywhere you can contact the office of fair trading to see what they have to say on the matter.
What problem is the machine giving?
It's Beko, you did well getting 2 years out of it.

Buy a decent one to replace it
Might be a bit tricky as i'm trying to get Argos to replace a Netbook i've had for a year and a half that's broken 3 times. If you're more of a shouty person then you may get better luck X)
You need to get an independent report done as its over 6 months old , if the reports says its in inherent fault contact Argos, they will then either partial refund, repair or replace, and you get the cost of the report back
The one year warranty is given by manufacturers to get more sales. There is no set time on how long a product should last.

Lets say for example if you buy a tesco value toaster for £3, is it reasonable for it to last 2 years and not much longer? I think we could all agree yes.

If you buy a toaster for £100 and it broke after 2 years would that be reasonable? I think we could all agree no.

I would contact Beko, and tell them that their 1 year warranty is of no legal importance, and that this washing machine should last longer than 23 months. See what their response is and then report in thread what they say.

jonny619447

The one year warranty is given by manufacturers to get more sales. There … The one year warranty is given by manufacturers to get more sales. There is no set time on how long a product should last. Lets say for example if you buy a tesco value toaster for £3, is it reasonable for it to last 2 years and not much longer? I think we could all agree yes. If you buy a toaster for £100 and it broke after 2 years would that be reasonable? I think we could all agree no. I would contact Beko, and tell them that their 1 year warranty is of no legal importance, and that this washing machine should last longer than 23 months. See what their response is and then report in thread what they say.

I bought an Argos toaster once, cost £4, it lasted about 12 seconds...

Probably shouldn't have put it in the microwave with all that petrol.
Edited by: "unquestioned" 28th Jul 2012
unquestioned

I bought an Argos toaster once, cost £4, it lasted about 12 … I bought an Argos toaster once, cost £4, it lasted about 12 seconds...Probably shouldn't have put it in the microwave with all that petrol.

Probably wasn't the best idea, lessons learnt and all that.
jonny619447

Probably wasn't the best idea, lessons learnt and all that.

Yeah, I'd probably been better off putting in some gun powder.
A washing machine should last longer than 2 years. The sale of goods act covers you in this instance and you should be able to get Argos to repair it for you.
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 states that goods supplied must be of satisfactory quality when they are supplied. This is the standard a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory. Although the machine was working when first bought, you may argue that it was not of satisfactory quality at that time because it was only every durable enough to last 2 years, when you would reasonably expect it to last much longer.
Beko have no legal liability outside of the guarantee they supplied, but your rights under the Act are against Argos.
As deanos has mentioned, after the first six months of purchase the onus is on your to show that the machine was not of satisfactory quality (or not durable enough) when it was first supplied... however, you already have some proof - the fact that it has broken down after only 2 years.
It's not uncommon for a retailer to immediately dismiss any claim after 1 year, so write to Argos' head office explaining this - persistence works!
Phoning Argos will most likely get you absolutely nowhere, they are usually very unhelpful with things like this.

However, phone them, ask them if they will help, when they say no, say the sale of goods act covers you for things like this, let them spout the excuses and leave it there, the next step is to send a letter saying that the machine is not old etc etc, sale of goods act blah blah, and you should get somewhere then.

What will most likely happen is a contribution to a new washing machine, perhaps 75% of the cost price of your current one, this is a nice offer and if you are presented with it, TAKE IT!! Only issue is you will not have a machine while this is all going on.
With regards to the 6 month rule and proving the machine was faulty when you had it, this is a last step in my opinion because retailers usually don't let it go down this route, and deal with it after the first letter.
Thanks to everyone who's replied, I will give Argos a call tomorrow - unfortunately I am not an aggressive type at all so when they tell me they can't do anything I will probably say 'ok, thanks, bye' LOL!
If I don't get anywhere on the phone then I will write them a letter.

I have looked on Google and can't find the problem I am having at all - the machine has a digital display which tells you how long is left on the cycle... I recently noticed that the washing machine is taking far longer than usual to complete a cycle, the 'cotton' cycle takes 2hrs 45 minutes usually but is now taking at least 4 hours and I am not sure it would actually stop washing if I didn't halt the cycle (will run an empty wash tonight to see). When I paid attention to the digital display the time is jumping, for example, from 23 minutes remaining back up to 38minutes and so on.
Cancel the birthday party.
Mrs.Z

Thanks to everyone who's replied, I will give Argos a call tomorrow - … Thanks to everyone who's replied, I will give Argos a call tomorrow - unfortunately I am not an aggressive type at all so when they tell me they can't do anything I will probably say 'ok, thanks, bye' LOL!If I don't get anywhere on the phone then I will write them a letter.I have looked on Google and can't find the problem I am having at all - the machine has a digital display which tells you how long is left on the cycle... I recently noticed that the washing machine is taking far longer than usual to complete a cycle, the 'cotton' cycle takes 2hrs 45 minutes usually but is now taking at least 4 hours and I am not sure it would actually stop washing if I didn't halt the cycle (will run an empty wash tonight to see). When I paid attention to the digital display the time is jumping, for example, from 23 minutes remaining back up to 38minutes and so on.

Sounds like it will need a new circuit board/control unit. They are not cheap.
Mrs.Z

Thanks to everyone who's replied, I will give Argos a call tomorrow - … Thanks to everyone who's replied, I will give Argos a call tomorrow - unfortunately I am not an aggressive type at all so when they tell me they can't do anything I will probably say 'ok, thanks, bye' LOL!If I don't get anywhere on the phone then I will write them a letter.I have looked on Google and can't find the problem I am having at all - the machine has a digital display which tells you how long is left on the cycle... I recently noticed that the washing machine is taking far longer than usual to complete a cycle, the 'cotton' cycle takes 2hrs 45 minutes usually but is now taking at least 4 hours and I am not sure it would actually stop washing if I didn't halt the cycle (will run an empty wash tonight to see). When I paid attention to the digital display the time is jumping, for example, from 23 minutes remaining back up to 38minutes and so on.

wow! 2hr45m to do a cotton wash cant be right either surely?

My Bosch machne takes 47minutes to do a 30C cotton wash and 1hr47m to do a 90C one.
if you buy beko, you have to take the chance that it may not last.

cheap and cheerful make.
csiman

wow! 2hr45m to do a cotton wash cant be right either surely?My Bosch … wow! 2hr45m to do a cotton wash cant be right either surely?My Bosch machne takes 47minutes to do a 30C cotton wash and 1hr47m to do a 90C one.

We bought a Hotpoint and it literally took 3:30 for a normal wash, 40c, it had fast wash which was useless so sent it back in the end. Got another hotpoint after scouring the Which mags and all reviews, still takes a good 1:45 though, I think the systems these days use such little water, it takes a much longer time to wash, the one we have now only just wets the clothes on some programs.
Phoned Argos today and was pleasantly surprised when they simply told me to get an independent report done and send it in to them. Providing the report states that it was a manufacturing fault, then they will either repair or replace the machine and refund the cost of the report

Will keep the thread updated when more happens
ring british gas cover 5 appliances for £16.50 a month ring a few days later get it fixed job done
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants