Expired

Washing machine help.

Found 17th Jul 2013
Hi since yesterday I noticed my washer is making a funny noise, it sounds like a grinding noise and like there are stones/gravel in the washer, it even makes the noise when the clothes are not spinning, I've looked in washer and there are no signs of anything being stuck etc has anyone got an idea of what it could be, thanks
Community Updates
AskWashing Machine
21 Comments
A worn out washer in need of replacing asap.
Sounds like the motors gone.
ifrazalam

A worn out washer in need of replacing asap.

I was hoping it would be something simple, I've only had it 3 years so its not like its very old. I thought my son had put stones in it as he's a little monkey.
Sounds like the bearings. Easy job for an engineer, you may find a how to on YouTube and replacement bearings on eBay.
I had an Indesit washer/dryer break down after two years - I complained to Dixons that it had not lasted a reasonable amount of time, as products should according to the sale of goods act, etc. I ended up getting £120 cash so it might be worth arguing your case with whoever you bought it from.
anewkillerstar

I had an Indesit washer/dryer break down after two years - I complained … I had an Indesit washer/dryer break down after two years - I complained to Dixons that it had not lasted a reasonable amount of time, as products should according to the sale of goods act, etc. I ended up getting £120 cash so it might be worth arguing your case with whoever you bought it from.

Thanks I might try complaining, I just don't want to end up with no machine for ages as I've two toddlers and a baby and me and my fella so I'm washing every day.
sounds like bearing failure to me as well.
mas99

sounds like bearing failure to me as well.

Is it best to get a new washer, I know nothing about things like this.
Sounds like the motor....
Sounds like the beaings....

I wanna go now....
Sounds like the pump....

Bearings are less than £10 its fitting them that most can't do. If you know someone who fiddles with cars they'll be able to do it.
Get an engineer to look at it, nobody on here can really tell what is wrong with it.
Inactive

Get an engineer to look at it, nobody on here can really tell what is … Get an engineer to look at it, nobody on here can really tell what is wrong with it.

This really.

We recently had a fault with our AEG - company nearby - recommended on UKwhitegoods website (go there) - were very good.

£40 +VAT for visit to diagnose fault - anything needed above that is purely the parts price and no labour. I think this is fairly standard industry practice.
moob

This really.We recently had a fault with our AEG - company nearby - … This really.We recently had a fault with our AEG - company nearby - recommended on UKwhitegoods website (go there) - were very good.£40 +VAT for visit to diagnose fault - anything needed above that is purely the parts price and no labour. I think this is fairly standard industry practice.

I'm going to ring someone to come and have a look, I contacted where I got it from and they won't do anything without me getting a report to see what's up with it, its not been spinning properly as well, the clothes are still soaking when the cycle stops so having to put them on an extra spin.
What is the brand of your washing machine?
MR1123

What is the brand of your washing machine?

Its a beko.
Have you tried turning it on and off again?
usually when washer doesn't drain its a blocked pump filter,usually (and not being sexist)it's bra wires that get stuck and jam the impeller(motor).if u can get ur fella to pull washer out and trace the outlet pipe back to the machine ,remove back cover usually only a few screws,should see the pump on end of pipe, the pipe to the pump is quite flexible and u may b able to feel any obstruction,if not remove pipe its only a sprung clip.depends how handy fella is but worth a try.if anything is stuck in there wil sound noisey,like puttin lolly stick in ur bike spokes
sparky2076

usually when washer doesn't drain its a blocked pump filter,usually (and … usually when washer doesn't drain its a blocked pump filter,usually (and not being sexist)it's bra wires that get stuck and jam the impeller(motor).if u can get ur fella to pull washer out and trace the outlet pipe back to the machine ,remove back cover usually only a few screws,should see the pump on end of pipe, the pipe to the pump is quite flexible and u may b able to feel any obstruction,if not remove pipe its only a sprung clip.depends how handy fella is but worth a try.if anything is stuck in there wil sound noisey,like puttin lolly stick in ur bike spokes

Thanks, will get him to have a look, I've ordered a new one anyway as the one I have is only 5kg load and with 5 of us in the house I could do with a bigger load one, I might just put it on eBay see if anyone wants it, someone might be able to sort it out.
Bearings, prepare to spend around £75, if your washer is worth about £300 new I would be looking for a new one.
aircanman

Bearings, prepare to spend around £75, if your washer is worth about £300 … Bearings, prepare to spend around £75, if your washer is worth about £300 new I would be looking for a new one.

I don't think we even paid £300 for it, I think it was in the sale when we purchased it, I've ordered a new one as I can't be bothered with all the hassle of trying to fix it, I needed a bigger one anyway so its a good excuse for me to get one : )
pink-ka

I don't think we even paid £300 for it, I think it was in the sale when … I don't think we even paid £300 for it, I think it was in the sale when we purchased it, I've ordered a new one as I can't be bothered with all the hassle of trying to fix it, I needed a bigger one anyway so its a good excuse for me to get one : )

Cool, sometimes it is not worth messing about with it, my way of thinking may be wrong but if you spend £100 on it and then next week it could go again, spend another £100 on it and you have double its current value, so I don't see the point.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants