Washing machine installation help please

Posted 9th Dec 2019
I’m trying to install a new LG washing machine.
It’s a raised wooden floor..
just not enough high..

I have no choice but to remove the bolt on the rubber feet to gain a 5mm of hight space to get the machine in without scratching the top or forcing a fit that might not even go in

I can put the legs back on but without that nut that was locking it or used for levelling?

Just don’t know if it’s better to remove all the 4 rubber legs completely or put them back on without the 1cm nut..

In terms of vibrations what is worst legs with no nut or no legs at all so just flat on wooden surface.

3359533.jpg
Honestly don’t care about the noise or vibration as it’s not open living we have a separate kitchen

3359533.jpg

3359533.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

43 Comments
Personally I would fit them with out the nut ! Shouldn’t make any difference without it imo
You can get thinner nuts
It's just a locking nut, get shut of it and put the feet back on and check from time to time to make sure they haven't vibrated lose
The legs are there to protect the case (and your floor). I'd try it with them first but I doubt it will cause to much problem if you have to take them off. Modern washing machines don't vibrate as badly as older ones.
So best put the legs on without the nut.. that gives me an extra 5mm.. will fit ok I think with the extra space ..

It’s a decent LG machine cost 350 at Currys current sale..

So best to put the legs back on without the locking nut ?
39305152-Qm3LD.jpg
It’s going in here
ding09/12/2019 17:23

It's just a locking nut, get shut of it and put the feet back on and check …It's just a locking nut, get shut of it and put the feet back on and check from time to time to make sure they haven't vibrated lose

Ok so just make sure they are tight once in a while ?

So you think it’s a bad idea to remove the feet completely?
tallpete3309/12/2019 17:26

The legs are there to protect the case (and your floor). I'd try it with …The legs are there to protect the case (and your floor). I'd try it with them first but I doubt it will cause to much problem if you have to take them off. Modern washing machines don't vibrate as badly as older ones.

i have a bosch washing machine and it sounds like the whole house is about to take off when it gets to the spin cycle! it really moves about when it vibrates. it is not an old machine either.
Regarding the back bolts I remove those !! Do I need to remove this black washer part or that stays on ?
39305183-zYGBm.jpg
mutley109/12/2019 17:32

i have a bosch washing machine and it sounds like the whole house is about …i have a bosch washing machine and it sounds like the whole house is about to take off when it gets to the spin cycle! it really moves about when it vibrates. it is not an old machine either.

Sounds like you're overloading it with heavy mens' clothing
BigStart09/12/2019 17:32

Regarding the back bolts I remove those !! Do I need to remove this black …Regarding the back bolts I remove those !! Do I need to remove this black washer part or that stays on ?[Image]

Just remove the back bolts. Can see any issue with the washers being left in place

Regarding the back bolts I remove those !! Do I need to remove this black …Regarding the back bolts I remove those !! Do I need to remove this black washer part or that stays on ?[Image]

you have to pull it out. i remember struggling with that when i tried to fit the washing machine for my dad. i ended using a pair of mole grips as they are not easy to pull out.
39305445-8H0CE.jpg

The water pressure seems to be very high when I turn it on in full, I tested in a 5L bottle.

Should I turn it on in full or limit the pressure ?
BigStart09/12/2019 17:55

[Image] The water pressure seems to be very high when I turn it on in …[Image] The water pressure seems to be very high when I turn it on in full, I tested in a 5L bottle.Should I turn it on in full or limit the pressure ?

These machines are prone to water hammer, so you can try turning it down. If it's still a problem you can always get an arrestor.
mutley109/12/2019 17:32

i have a bosch washing machine and it sounds like the whole house is about …i have a bosch washing machine and it sounds like the whole house is about to take off when it gets to the spin cycle! it really moves about when it vibrates. it is not an old machine either.

My (old) Bosch used to do that. Have had a Beko for three years now and its great as far as noise and vibration are concerned. Cleans well too
TheHun609/12/2019 18:07

These machines are prone to water hammer, so you can try turning it down. …These machines are prone to water hammer, so you can try turning it down. If it's still a problem you can always get an arrestor.

It doesn’t need much pressure does it ?! It won’t start a cycle or a function until the right amount water is filled?
tallpete3309/12/2019 18:13

My (old) Bosch used to do that. Have had a Beko for three years now and …My (old) Bosch used to do that. Have had a Beko for three years now and its great as far as noise and vibration are concerned. Cleans well too

i bought the bosch machine before we moved house. it was placed in a utility room, which was a tiled concrete floor so we never really noticed the taking off action.

the washing machine is now placed in the kitchen in our new house, which has a wooden suspended floor. that is not level so i think this is why we feel the vibration and noise a lot more as the machine is not on an even floor.
BigStart09/12/2019 18:20

It doesn’t need much pressure does it ?! It won’t start a cycle or a fun …It doesn’t need much pressure does it ?! It won’t start a cycle or a function until the right amount water is filled?

Shouldn't be any different to what you had before. Mine is on full pressure and is fine, but if you're getting very loud noises from the pipework every time the valve in the washing machine shuts, that's when I would suggest lowering the water pressure. Good luck.
BigStart09/12/2019 18:20

It doesn’t need much pressure does it ?! It won’t start a cycle or a fun …It doesn’t need much pressure does it ?! It won’t start a cycle or a function until the right amount water is filled?

Just open it fully - partially opening the valve will reduce the flow but not the stationary pressure. Machines are designed to handle the whole range of likely water pressures in the UK.
jimmy_the_fridge09/12/2019 18:37

Comment deleted

yeah I keep looking at that too and am wondering is it he needs the 5mm to gain movement over what looks like a rather strange plinth affair rather than undo it, slide in and then refit

perhaps the picture is not doing it justice!
i have had washing machines installed at properties where the pressure is ridiculously high and it has never been a problem. as someone had already said, just open the valve fully.

You must remove both the plastic and the bolt. As the drum vibrates and moves it could easily damage it. But keep them somewhere safe as you need to fit them if you move it any distance later.
Remove the wood it's too high no point having that thick wood there or is there some reason for it.
Bertz9909/12/2019 18:44

yeah I keep looking at that too and am wondering is it he needs the 5mm to …yeah I keep looking at that too and am wondering is it he needs the 5mm to gain movement over what looks like a rather strange plinth affair rather than undo it, slide in and then refitperhaps the picture is not doing it justice!

I just moved in here .. don’t know who did all this previously but it’s a mess.

So after all that couldn’t get it to fit as if it goes in that space the tumbler dryer doesn’t fit so have to order a 2 meter water intake pipe as the one supplied by LG is less than a meter so I can put the washing machine to the left side ..
wasted my entire afternoon trying to make this work
BigStart09/12/2019 19:10

I just moved in here .. don’t know who did all this previously but it’s a m …I just moved in here .. don’t know who did all this previously but it’s a mess.So after all that couldn’t get it to fit as if it goes in that space the tumbler dryer doesn’t fit so have to order a 2 meter water intake pipe as the one supplied by LG is less than a meter so I can put the washing machine to the left side .. wasted my entire afternoon trying to make this work

39306338-q8UHh.jpg

Life's Good
Anyone know where I can get a quality 2m / 2.5 cold water inlet pipe that ships quickly..
BigStart09/12/2019 19:10

I just moved in here .. don’t know who did all this previously but it’s a m …I just moved in here .. don’t know who did all this previously but it’s a mess.So after all that couldn’t get it to fit as if it goes in that space the tumbler dryer doesn’t fit so have to order a 2 meter water intake pipe as the one supplied by LG is less than a meter so I can put the washing machine to the left side .. wasted my entire afternoon trying to make this work

Welcome to the world of underestimating how long diy jobs wil take and how you are always missing that one bit you did not anticipate you would need.

Not a waste though as you now know what you need.

Agree it does look a mess though but you'll get there.
BigStart09/12/2019 19:19

Anyone know where I can get a quality 2m / 2.5 cold water inlet pipe that …Anyone know where I can get a quality 2m / 2.5 cold water inlet pipe that ships quickly..

assume you mean they call it a washing machine inlet pipe

pop into your nearest tools station or screwfix and pick one up - £5.58 from tools station
Not sure what shops would have this in stock that would be open at this time?

I’m in central london 5 mins from a tube station !! Any ideas ?
Ringfinger09/12/2019 19:05

You must remove both the plastic and the bolt. As the drum vibrates and …You must remove both the plastic and the bolt. As the drum vibrates and moves it could easily damage it. But keep them somewhere safe as you need to fit them if you move it any distance later.

The big long bolt came out fine but those black plastic bit don’t seem to unscrew ?
BigStart09/12/2019 19:19

Anyone know where I can get a quality 2m / 2.5 cold water inlet pipe that …Anyone know where I can get a quality 2m / 2.5 cold water inlet pipe that ships quickly..

Screwfix hose
BigStart09/12/2019 19:29

Not sure what shops would have this in stock that would be open at this …Not sure what shops would have this in stock that would be open at this time?I’m in central london 5 mins from a tube station !! Any ideas ?

no idea on London other than the toolstation there close at 8pm and screwfix locations at 9pm

both open early too (for trade to pick up before jobs)
BigStart09/12/2019 19:30

The big long bolt came out fine but those black plastic bit don’t seem to u …The big long bolt came out fine but those black plastic bit don’t seem to unscrew ?

The plastic bit will remove. It will take a lot of wriggling and pulling, but they will come out.
kash201309/12/2019 19:36

Screwfix hose

Wooo thanks that helped

There is a store within 1.7 miles in Brixton & they close at 9pm

I will make it fine
Ringfinger09/12/2019 19:36

The plastic bit will remove. It will take a lot of wriggling and pulling, …The plastic bit will remove. It will take a lot of wriggling and pulling, but they will come out.

Ok will just take a photo to confirm we are taking about the Samer thing ..

I can’t see the harm the plastic bits would do staying there
I installed the same machine last week.
The rubber bungs on the transport bolts are removed and there should be a set of white plastic caps to bung in the holes.
The adjustment wrench supplied is made of cheese and will bend if too much pressure applied.
I had some issues with vibration, even though the machine is on a perfectly flat (to the eye) concrete floor. After getting it close to vibration free I still had to put some extremely thin shims under 1 foot to get it right. It vibrates like a bugger with a wet 9kg load @1400rpm! There is some specific guidance in the instructions about fitting on a sprung floor. Other than that, very pleased with it.
deleted1471098
mutley109/12/2019 18:27

i bought the bosch machine before we moved house. it was placed in a …i bought the bosch machine before we moved house. it was placed in a utility room, which was a tiled concrete floor so we never really noticed the taking off action. the washing machine is now placed in the kitchen in our new house, which has a wooden suspended floor. that is not level so i think this is why we feel the vibration and noise a lot more as the machine is not on an even floor.

Get some rubber or cork to go under the feet.
Dam washing machine project hopefully coming to an end.. it’s been an absolute nightmare
Don’t know how put this kitchen together back in the day but they have destroyed my life for the last two days .. no future proofing at all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants