Expired

Washing machine manufacturers, durability, warranties (all bad? are any good?) + Indesit rant

Found 18th Dec 2013
So, our Indesit washing machine recently just died (no power, no lights, nothing. Tried all the obvious things: new plug, new socket, etc). It's nearly 3 years old, and came with a 5 year warranty. It was/is pretty awful, really loud. TBF it was one of the cheaper models, but the main reason we chose to keep it after hearing (what sounded liked a jet engine revving up!) it, was the peace of mind of free parts and labour (standard, not extended!) warranty.

When it broke down we naturally went to Indesit, and they told us hidden down there, in really, really, really tiny print, in paragraph 245321530, section 234480, sub section 85, paragraph 14 in volume 285 of the manuals that came with the machine is a clause which states that although labour and parts are free there is a standard £120 call out fee, and when pushed on the matter, they even said that if multiple call-outs were required they would charge multiples of £120.

We rang a local dealer/repair/maintenance shop and they told us it is almost certainly the PCB, which is (by coincidence) £120 from Indesit, and that this is a common fault with Indesit machines. That price included callout, fitting, etc, but they said if we can get the parts from Indesit they'll fit it for £30. Of course, Indesit won't give you the parts (despite it being free parts!), unless an Indesit engineer visits and confirms it needs to replaced (for which they charge... £120!).

Having met all these issues, we went back to the retailer (Littlewoods), and told them we'd have to assert our rights under SOGA (1979). They will only deal with the claim if we get a certificate that it is an inherent fault, from Indesit, who are quite willing to provide us with the certificate for free, if we pay them (I bet you guessed already....) £120!

They even had the nerve to say that if it wasn't an inherent fault, they wouldn't write a certificate, still charge us £120, and then charge us an extra £120 to come and fix it under warranty! (I don't even think the washing machine cost £240!).

I know my consumer rights (I knew we can get an independent assessment for example). I could spend the next few months chasing this, going through small claims court, etc. But tbh, my time is worth more than the measly amount we'd get back.

We need a new washing machine. Quickly (probably from a high street store, who can deliver quickly). Does anyone know if there any manufacturers who offer a washing machine and a warranty without snide hidden charges? I don't know about budget, I don't mind spending a bit, but I don't really want to be splashing out £500 (or more) on a washing machine.

5 years isn't necessarily a deal breaker, I'd take a good (honest!) 3 year warranty over a dodgy 5 year fake one!

Is anyone involved in the sale/servicing of washing machines? If so, would you recommend one brand over another for reliability? For having decent after sales customer care? (i.e. actually honour the warranty that comes with it). Any recommended retailers? Recommended models? (the primary factors being energy consumption, noise and a reputable company who will honour the warranty!).

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
AskIndesitWashing Machine
13 Comments
I Brought a new washing machine from these guys. excellent service and delivery, couldn't fault them ao.com/

Have a look at the reviews for them. They also price match if you find it cheaper elsewhere.

I went for an LG direct drive one.. The Direct Drive motor attaches directly onto the back of the drum making your washing machine quieter, more durable and guaranteed for 10 years. The rest of the machine is 2 years.
Not had any problems so far.
Candy/Hoover good quality 5 year parts cover.
can't beat a Bosch washer imo, my mother in laws is always on (they have four dogs, and have had several litters of puppies too and its coped with everything) and its still going strong. I think its needed a couple of replacement parts that worn out but other than that its very reliable, so much so I bought one about 5years ago and touch wood, its still going strong. however, my brother went for the LG direct drive washer when he moved house, and that seems OK too.
gazman090970

Candy/Hoover good quality 5 year parts cover.

I do hope that wasn't a serious suggestion.oO
Inactive

I do hope that wasn't a serious suggestion.oO

Based on personal experience yes,about 8 years ago bought a new indesit lasted around 18 months then a beko(horrible machine)around the same i was advised to get a candy by an independent technician had it around 5 years now and it hasn't missed a beat.Please tell us why you think they are bad.
Edited by: "gazman090970" 18th Dec 2013
Thanks guys. The LG direct drive ones look interesting, just having seen a few reviews (of course; it's difficult to gauge how loud they truly are, just from a video, but they certainly seem quiet!).

Some of the Bosch models seem reasonably priced and get good reviews too. I'm guessing this is a good time of the year to buy washing machines, everywhere seems to be having a sale (I guess people don't buy household appliances at Christmas very much, or do they always have sales? /shrug).

Anyway, food for thought. Thank you.
gazman090970

Based on personal experience yes,about 8 years ago bought a new indesit … Based on personal experience yes,about 8 years ago bought a new indesit lasted around 18 months then a beko(horrible machine)around the same i was advised to get a candy by an independent technician had it around 5 years now and it hasn't missed a beat.Please tell us why you think they are bad.

Well the " parts only warranty " is a farce, they just charge you a fortune for call out/ labour charges.. Anybody in the trade will advise you to avoid Hoover / Candy and Indesit/ Hotpoint washing machines.
Inactive

Well the " parts only warranty " is a farce, they just charge you a … Well the " parts only warranty " is a farce, they just charge you a fortune for call out/ labour charges.. Anybody in the trade will advise you to avoid Hoover / Candy and Indesit/ Hotpoint washing machines.

Its was a fully qualified technician that advised me as i previously stated,since i saw your post i had a quick google it does look ambiguous as to what is good bad or indifferent depending on where you read the review.
The best of the lower priced washing machines are Beko, ...middle range are; Samsung or Bosch,... the best of all are from Miele, but they are very expensive

This is according to my friend who is a washing machine engineer.
Just got a new Lg from ao.com/
They delivered next day and the machine came with a 2 year guarantee
This replaced my old Lg which the heater broke after 8 years of faithful service using it every day.
Lots of good answers (all helpful in fact and it was impossible to chose one).

I chose Inactive's comment as it highlights the problem faced by me and I'm sure many others (and I'd rather hoped this post might serve as a warning to others as well as being helpful to me. That is; to avoid those companies who promise free warranties but hide ridiculous callout fees in the small print. It really is a scam!).

There isn't a chance on hell I'd touch Indesit again, and it's good to know which other manufacturers to avoid.

Cheers all.
We got an 11kg LG with direct drive has not gone wrong in 3 years plus it has a 10 year warranty on the motor. It has a mode for night time washing so it can be very quiet. Earlier models had problems with the PCB boards (load balance issues) even though I didn't experience that I heard that's now been rectified. AO are excellent brought a fridge from them which arrived the next day unfortunately it came with a broken eggs holder, contacted them and they spoke to the manufacturer and got another sent out the next day!
I went for a 7KG LG. I can't remember the model no, I think it was the cheapest one on AO - who were great; I was stuck between two and talked to them over the phone, they were very informative and even recommended the cheaper model after I said which features were important and which weren't!

I was so expecting them to try and sell me an extended warranty I cut her off mid-sentence and said "I don't want an extended warranty" and she told me she wasn't trying to sell me one! Ha! (/wipes egg off face). I also got some message from Google saying I was protected for X years for up to £1000 because I'd purchased through them (which I wasn't expecting! I just entered my CC details into the website).

Oh, and free delivery, on a Sunday! So yeah, very impressed (with the shopping experience, not sure about the washing machine yet but it can't be worse than the Indesit, which was like having a Boeing 747 in your kitchen!). Thank you all for your input (I'll be back again to blame you all if it goes wrong, haha!).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants