Found 19th Aug 2016
Am hoping someone can offer some advice.

I have a Hoover washing machine and its about 3 years old. lately it's started to really smell- like a foisty, unclean smell.

Iv taken the drawer apart and scrubbed it all out and the interior. I've bleach washed it and put it on hot washes and it still stinks.

I've pulled the pipes out and checked them too and the filter. It won't flush out softner either- it just combines with the powder and makes a gungey mess.

do I just get rid and get a new one or does anyone have any advice to get it clean again?

18 Comments

hi , it's because modern washing machines wash on cold water ... have u tried a this
Pour the vinegar into a measuring cup and head over to your washing machine.

Add the bicarbonate of soda mixture to the detergent container of your machine and pour the vinegar into the drum. ...Use a clean scouring sponge to rub around the opening of the washing machine, removing stubborn mold or residue.
and doing a boil wash every now and again ?

Last time mine got blocked I got some caustic soda, mix it in a large bucket and pour it in the pipes to the drain ! Be careful though it's pretty nasty stuff!
Edited by: "westy125" 19th Aug 2016

Could be gundge trapped in the door seal. Try and pull it open and give it a good clean, even replace it. Sounds like you've tried everything else.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone few more things for me to try there. has anyone found the tablets you put in the drum any better at preventing this than normal powder detergent? or is it just inevitable?

If it is not flushing softener then the holes for the water above the softener compartment have got blocked and will need cleaning with pipe cleaner or something like that. If you are really handy you can take the whole filling area off the machine and clean in properly. I have done this on mine a few times.

take out the soap try and clean the underneath, the damp conditions will make a non harmful mould grow which often blocks the wholes.

to clean the washer, try distilled malt vinegar and half a bag of soda crystals, for around a pound for both its the best cleaner you can get.

Take drawer out then use a old toothbrush to clean out water jet holes with vinegar. Put washing machine on a very hot wash, don't put any clothes in the machine just pour in white vinegar or brown if you haven't got white and let machine finish the wash.

You're supposed to do an engineer wash every so often. which.co.uk/rev…ine

I used the super dooper Dr Beckmann Service-It Deep Clean after using loads of different cheapo ones. The muck that came out of it was unbelievable! Vinegar only sanitises, it won't dislodge the built up grime. I paid £2 at Asda for it when it was on special but I would recommend that you do it twice or you will end up with all the much over your washing. My washing machine is about 10 years old & I bought it 3 years ago secondhand... it was really dirty in all respects.

paul123edwards

If it is not flushing softener then the holes for the water above the … If it is not flushing softener then the holes for the water above the softener compartment have got blocked and will need cleaning with pipe cleaner or something like that. If you are really handy you can take the whole filling area off the machine and clean in properly. I have done this on mine a few times.

​second this, our beko washer sometimes gets smelly and stops using the conditioner properly, it's left with water in it. I find putting a cocktail stick gently inthose little holes usually releases a hidden blob of black gunge. not very nice.
a good scrub then and water sprayed under pressure ( you know those garden centre spray bottles that you pump) usually clears the problem.

Original Poster

paul123edwards

If it is not flushing softener then the holes for the water above the … If it is not flushing softener then the holes for the water above the softener compartment have got blocked and will need cleaning with pipe cleaner or something like that. If you are really handy you can take the whole filling area off the machine and clean in properly. I have done this on mine a few times.

​thanks- had a couple of tries last night with baking powder, vinegar etc and still no luck. so got my husband to take it apart this morning- it was filthy!

hopefully now it's been thoroughly scrubbed and bleached it might work again!

mumtotwo222

​thanks- had a couple of tries last night with baking powder, vinegar etc … ​thanks- had a couple of tries last night with baking powder, vinegar etc and still no luck. so got my husband to take it apart this morning- it was filthy!hopefully now it's been thoroughly scrubbed and bleached it might work again!

do you normally use liquid or powder? Always use a biological washing powder to keep it clean. Liquids are useless at cleaning clothes and the machine.

Original Poster

chocci

do you normally use liquid or powder? Always use a biological washing … do you normally use liquid or powder? Always use a biological washing powder to keep it clean. Liquids are useless at cleaning clothes and the machine.

​I alternate between powder and liqui tabs. are non bios no good either? sorry I'm a bit clueless with this stuff (hence a stinky washer)

mumtotwo222

​I alternate between powder and liqui tabs. are non bios no good either? s … ​I alternate between powder and liqui tabs. are non bios no good either? sorry I'm a bit clueless with this stuff (hence a stinky washer)

non bio liquid is useless. Which even have fairy / bold on their do not buy list.

' liquids from two major brands were so poor at stain removal that we’ve made them Don’t Buys. Bold’s 2in1 Bio Gel and Fairy’s Non Bio Gel are both so bad at getting rid of coloured stains such as blood, grass and mud, that we recommend you avoid them.'

https://conversation.which.co.uk/home-energy/powder-liquid-gel-detergent-best-worst-laundry-washing-clothes/

powder for me and I have never noticed colours fading and my machine is 15 years old and and as good as new. Never had to de-gunk it.

Edited by: "chocci" 20th Aug 2016

Liquids aren't that bad but the pouches don't melt down properly in the machines so they could be a problem. Remember when using a 40 degrees wash cycle you are just trying to get the clothes to smell nice and not kill off all the bacteria. Only hot washing or applying bleach will kill off bacteria. For deep stains we normally apply vanish oxy action powder.
I tend to wash my denim jeans even if they are clean but you're really supposed to seal them in a plastic bag and throw them in the freezer to kill the bacteria rather than washing. elle.com/fas…ag/

kester76

Liquids aren't that bad but the pouches don't melt down properly in the … Liquids aren't that bad but the pouches don't melt down properly in the machines so they could be a problem. Remember when using a 40 degrees wash cycle you are just trying to get the clothes to smell nice and not kill off all the bacteria. Only hot washing or applying bleach will kill off bacteria. For deep stains we normally apply vanish oxy action powder. I tend to wash my denim jeans even if they are clean but you're really supposed to seal them in a plastic bag and throw them in the freezer to kill the bacteria rather than washing. http://www.elle.com/fashion/news/a18776/levis-jeans-in-bag/

get the tesco oxy powder - half the price of vanish and exactly the same stuff. For pennies, dilute bio washing powder in water and put in an old spray bottle (about 25g per 500ml). Works just as well I found out the other day.

I spilt some coffee on a shirt so sprayed it with the solution and just left it outside to dry in the sun. Stain went in about 20 minutes! oO

Wont be buying any oxy products any more
Edited by: "chocci" 20th Aug 2016

chocci

get the tesco oxy powder - half the price of vanish and exactly the same … get the tesco oxy powder - half the price of vanish and exactly the same stuff. For pennies, dilute bio washing powder in water and put in an old spray bottle (about 25g per 500ml). Works just as well I found out the other day.I spilt some coffee on a shirt so sprayed it with the solution and just left it outside to dry in the sun. Stain went in about 20 minutes! oOWont be buying any oxy products any more

I might go for the tesco oxy stuff, thanks for the heads up
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Help: NowTV Movie pass712
    2. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?33
    3. Items broken from argos - will I get replacement or refund?66
    4. Printer help please.57

See more discussions