Washing machines... Is it worth paying more?

Found 30th Sep 2017
OK my washing machine been playing up now for a few weeks and today it stopped mid cycle.... I've had it over 5 years and bought it for around £250 from bargain crazy clearance.... Although catalogues inflate prices in 1st place.
Earlier in year Tesco direct had made mis price errors on some kitchen appliances and sadly along with others I never got the Samsung add wash washer. I wouldn't mind one of those... However am I just aswell buy a washer for the £180/200 mark up... What would you do? We have a lot laundry too... 6kg capacity at moment but 8/9kg be brilliant.
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
My experience is that unless you go with the real high cost ones such as Miele and top of the range Samsung, all the ones in the up to 3/400 price bracket seem to last a similar amount of time. I just buy the cheapest one I can find now which has the settings I look for and is simple. Currently got a beko, before that had an expensive hot point that was nothing but trouble but cost three times as much as the beko.
i had to fix the hot point myself several times and it's not the easiest for access, in the end it lasted three years.
i like bosch and we have one at home. i bought a cheaper brand, beko, for my dad last year and it seems to work fine. personally i would buy a bosch or samsung, but if you want to budget, then beko. many has sworn by it. i also bought one for a property that i own last year and it has not yet broken down, so i am awaiting judgement on beko washing machines.

i had hoover washing machines and they only lasted about 2 years, so avoid them.
I once with "buy the cheapest they're all the same" methodology and got an Ariston. It was so noisy you could hardly hear the television (two rooms away) and used to bounce accros the floor. Didn't last very long.

Since then I've gone for the "buy the most expensive German one I can afford" - so now have a Siemens. Nice machine, used daily and I guess 3 years old. Previous AEG lasted 9 years until pcb went and riddicuosly no replacement could be found - other than that the machine was perfect.
I just but the cheapest machine with a decent load rate of around 8kg,the heavier load models will have or at least shoukd have better bearings, motor and heavy duty belt which shoukd help it kast longer than a £160 5kg model no matter what the brand, my last 2 washing machines have both been indesit 8kg modeks each costing about £200 with delivery, this latest one I purchased in 2012 and it is still working fine, previous one lasted about 5 years also, but they do get worked hard.
mutley11 h, 9 m ago

i like bosch and we have one at home. i bought a cheaper brand, beko, for …i like bosch and we have one at home. i bought a cheaper brand, beko, for my dad last year and it seems to work fine. personally i would buy a bosch or samsung, but if you want to budget, then beko. many has sworn by it. i also bought one for a property that i own last year and it has not yet broken down, so i am awaiting judgement on beko washing machines.i had hoover washing machines and they only lasted about 2 years, so avoid them.

Always went for bigger brands but Beko is worth getting, decent build and cheap.
I would just buy the cheapest, I had an expensive Hoover one and had nothing but trouble bought a cheap Tesco own brand (not sure who actually made it) one about 5 years ago and never had a days problem with it.....touches wood
Van19731 h, 21 m ago

I once with "buy the cheapest they're all the same" methodology and got an …I once with "buy the cheapest they're all the same" methodology and got an Ariston. It was so noisy you could hardly hear the television (two rooms away) and used to bounce accros the floor. Didn't last very long.Since then I've gone for the "buy the most expensive German one I can afford" - so now have a Siemens. Nice machine, used daily and I guess 3 years old. Previous AEG lasted 9 years until pcb went and riddicuosly no replacement could be found - other than that the machine was perfect.

My Ariston lasted 11 years, I wonder that the difference was? It never bounced or moved either. It only died because the belt snapped. I couldn't replace it because access to the inside was so poor.

Just replaced it with a Samsung. I chose it because it had a 5 year warranty on everything and a 10 year warranty on the motor. Where as the cheaper ones only have a year. Time will tell if it's worth the extra I guess.

And hasn't appeared in the misc fire recall post! Oh and the entire back panel does come off this time if I need it too.

Seems okay so far. My only complaint is I think 1400 spin is too violent on a wooden floor. Always turn it back to 1200 and it's much smoother and quieter.
Edited by: "MSK." 30th Sep 2017
I tend to go for mid range appliances, and do a little bit of research as to cost of spares and reliability.

We used to buy Hotpoints, until the last one which I think was bought post the indesit takeover, where the drum bearings gave out in just over a year. Hotpoints used to need new motor brushes every few years.

My current machine is a Zanussi jet system and is about 8 or 9 years old now, and I think it cost between £300 and £350. I had to replace the element a couple of days ago (£17 delivered and a doddle to install), the second one it has needed, and I've had to descale the trap as it got stuck, but otherwise it has been very reliable, bearing still seem sound and its never needed any new brushes, had it been a hotpoint, I'd have probably replaced them twice by now.

First thing I would suggest before buying a new one is try to find a service manual, or at least how to display error codes so you can identify the fault, it might be something trivial to fix.
Edited by: "melted" 30th Sep 2017
I bought a Samsung because of the five year guarantee. It is very quiet. Think I paid about £350. I bought the addwash one and I don't think I've dropped a sock on the stairs and had
to use it since which is deeply annoying
psychobitchfromhell16 m ago

I bought a Samsung because of the five year guarantee. It is very quiet. …I bought a Samsung because of the five year guarantee. It is very quiet. Think I paid about £350. I bought the addwash one and I don't think I've dropped a sock on the stairs and had to use it since which is deeply annoying

i often only have one sock washed and the other one is still in the basket. it doesn't bother me as i just wait until the next wash for the other sock to come along
From experience of working over 10 years in a electrical shop and removing old machines, the best washing machine to get would certainly be German make Miele (guaranteed to last well over 10-15 years). One we took out of a customer's house was around 20 years old and still working and just needed a new rubber seal. If you cannot afford that my advise would be Zanussi or AEG, they tended to last longer than Bosch, Hotpoint or Idesit.
Edited by: "Darzet_zider" 30th Sep 2017
mutley116 m ago

i often only have one sock washed and the other one is still in the …i often only have one sock washed and the other one is still in the basket. it doesn't bother me as i just wait until the next wash for the other sock to come along

I've lived all these years only being mildly frustrated by odd socks. Now I'm desperate to drop some on the way to the washer and it never happens.
mutley136 m ago

i often only have one sock washed and the other one is still in the …i often only have one sock washed and the other one is still in the basket. it doesn't bother me as i just wait until the next wash for the other sock to come along

If I really wan't to add something mid wash to my Zanussi, it doesn't usually fill above the door seal, so I can open the door if I pause it, but it takes over a minute for the door catch to cool down and release, so I usually leave it for another wash.

I can't see the need to have a washing machine with a sock flap in the door.
melted20 m ago

If I really wan't to add something mid wash to my Zanussi, it doesn't …If I really wan't to add something mid wash to my Zanussi, it doesn't usually fill above the door seal, so I can open the door if I pause it, but it takes over a minute for the door catch to cool down and release, so I usually leave it for another wash.I can't see the need to have a washing machine with a sock flap in the door.

Purely a gimmick.
Yes. Miele all the way.
Go for a miele if not then stick to a cheap and cheerful appliance. I work in the field and even Samsung / AEG/ Bosch fail but mile I rarely see. Just engineered to prefection. So yeah buy a £250 and when it breaks after 5 years bin it. Then buy a new one or insure it if you agree with insurance
Thanks for all your replies
If you go cheap, don’t go for Hoover. Terrible company.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants