Expired

washing powder in eye

Found 11th Feb 2014
Evening all. Today at work I was putting a pack of washing powder on the top shelf, I didn't realise but one of the packs was open and it went in my eye. I didnt wash it with water bcus I was at work (which was stupid as I should have I know) but I got some tissue and wiped my eye. As soon as I got home I washed it with the proper eye thing. Anyway, 8 hours after it still hurts and it feels very tender under my eye. Any advice what to do? Thanks if anyone can help.
Community Updates
AskWashing Machine
29 Comments
Eye drops and a visit to your local 'walk in' clinic?
cut it out
Get it in the company's accident book pronto!
elliott1982

cut it out

Ha!
Fluffykins

Get it in the company's accident book pronto!

Yes, Also don't allow them to say they will do it later as terms may require a report in 24 hours.
Original Poster
Millionvoltage

Yes, Also don't allow them to say they will do it later as terms may … Yes, Also don't allow them to say they will do it later as terms may require a report in 24 hours.

what does this mean if I do? Is it just so its on record? Sorry never done this before
lisajohnsonxxx

what does this mean if I do? Is it just so its on record? Sorry never … what does this mean if I do? Is it just so its on record? Sorry never done this before

You need it on record... In the accident book... So if you suffer any Ill effects your employer can't deny that it happened.
lisajohnsonxxx

what does this mean if I do? Is it just so its on record? Sorry never … what does this mean if I do? Is it just so its on record? Sorry never done this before

Basically its in case a Word related injury escalated to a serious condition in future.

Its not on this list hse.gov.uk/rid…htm, but each company may well have its own terms and better to be safe than sorry.
Have you got eye wash stations at work?

Did you report the accident to your first aider?

Some employers are required by law to have eye wash stations if they haven't they are failing in their care for you.
When you say you washed it with the proper eye thing... Not sure what is exactly but I'd really be seeking medical advice ASAP if I were you... Er A walk in centre or NHS direct
Original Poster
northeastkev

When you say you washed it with the proper eye thing... Not sure what is … When you say you washed it with the proper eye thing... Not sure what is exactly but I'd really be seeking medical advice ASAP if I were you... Er A walk in centre or NHS direct

I couldnt think of the name of it lol, its an eye bath to wash your eye out. Think im gna give nhs direct a call
Hi, Im a medical student with an interest in the eyes. You need to wash the eye with warm water, do this continuously even though sometime has passed since the initial injury. This will dilute the alkali washing powder, which can be quite harmful to the surface of the eye. Go the eye casualty if one is near by, if not then see if an eye doctor is available at A&E. It is important that you make this a priority to ensure no serious eye injury has occurred.
Original Poster
skip112

Hi, Im a medical student with an interest in the eyes. You need to wash … Hi, Im a medical student with an interest in the eyes. You need to wash the eye with warm water, do this continuously even though sometime has passed since the initial injury. This will dilute the alkali washing powder, which can be quite harmful to the surface of the eye. Go the eye casualty if one is near by, if not then see if an eye doctor is available at A&E. It is important that you make this a priority to ensure no serious eye injury has occurred.

thanks for your help. Ive just washed it out with water again. Do you think it would be ok if I left it till the morning then if it still hurts go to the eye hospital?
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help, will let you know what its like in the morning.
lisajohnsonxxx

Thanks everyone for your help, will let you know what its like in the … Thanks everyone for your help, will let you know what its like in the morning.

...if you can see the computer ....
northeastkev

You need it on record... In the accident book... So if you suffer any Ill … You need it on record... In the accident book... So if you suffer any Ill effects your employer can't deny that it happened.

If you need time off for treatment. It's the proof you had an accident at work. It has to be entered in the book, under H&S laws. Don't worry it's a formality, and you wont get into trouble asking for it.
therealslimkaty

...if you can see the computer ....

has two eyes atm!
lisajohnsonxxx

thanks for your help. Ive just washed it out with water again. Do you … thanks for your help. Ive just washed it out with water again. Do you think it would be ok if I left it till the morning then if it still hurts go to the eye hospital?

DId you not read skip's helpful input? He/she said that you should seek help for your eye right now.
tomo you may wake up and only have one eye lol... if i was you id go now!
Is the white of your eye at least dazzlingly bright?
u need to report in accident book for yourself and to prevent others in future having same accident . i would get some treatment if in any way different from normal
All this legal bo11ox....

Get a basin, pour some cold water in......and bathe the eye....repeat every hour or so,
Use the eye wash solution just before bed.
You don't want to end up with one of these
I would take your company to court and get lots of money for this, and you would never have to work again, as you may be a millionaire .
Don't forget no win no fee! If still legal
Original Poster
Went to the walk in clinic today, waited 2 and a half hourd for them to tell me theres nothing they can do just bathe it. I suppose it has put my mind at rest though.
Original Poster
choice4

I would take your company to court and get lots of money for this, and … I would take your company to court and get lots of money for this, and you would never have to work again, as you may be a millionaire .Don't forget no win no fee! If still legal

if only! (_;)
Original Poster
teh arn

Is the white of your eye at least dazzlingly bright?

got a sparkle in my eye
Did you not do accident reporting and health & safety in your training?? It's usually covered in the training manual and is a legal requirement.

You have a duty to report it so that if it happens again to someone else, stacking washing powder high up might have to be revised and safety goggles made available. You also have a duty of care to yourself and should have reported it so they could get it looked at and you sent to hospital if necessary.

Hopefully it isn't serious.
The thing that seems to have been forgotten here is that the 'accident book' is usually also used for risk assesment (and correction).
Ok, so lisa got washing powder in her eye when stacking the shelves due to a partially opened box - At the moment this is an 'internal' issue as it happened to a staff member.
In the future a customer comes in and takes a box of powder from the high shelf, gets powder in their eyes and takes the company to court...

If teh accident book gets filled in at least lessons can be learnt and perhaps people will decide it is not a good idea for the powders etc to be placed above eye level...
Funder

The thing that seems to have been forgotten here is that the 'accident … The thing that seems to have been forgotten here is that the 'accident book' is usually also used for risk assesment (and correction).Ok, so lisa got washing powder in her eye when stacking the shelves due to a partially opened box - At the moment this is an 'internal' issue as it happened to a staff member.In the future a customer comes in and takes a box of powder from the high shelf, gets powder in their eyes and takes the company to court...If teh accident book gets filled in at least lessons can be learnt and perhaps people will decide it is not a good idea for the powders etc to be placed above eye level...

or they will make shoppers wear goggles
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions