Groups

Washing up !

Can you help me out, just had a discussion with the other half about washing up.

Q - when you wash glasses it it better to place them on the drainer the right way up, or the wrong way up.

- I say it's better to but them the wrong way, so the glasses become dry as the water will run away.
    - the missus says it's un-hygienic and thy should be placed the right way up so the rim doesn't get contaminated.

I know it's not life or death but I'm right arnt I?

45 Comments

Upside down, rinsed out, but make sure there is a gap under the rim (so the water can drain out).:thumbsup:

cis_groupie;4918867

Upside down, rinsed out, but make sure there is a gap under the rim (so … Upside down, rinsed out, but make sure there is a gap under the rim (so the water can drain out).:thumbsup:

+1

If you leave them right side up then the remaining suds will dry into it, yuck.

Banned

buy a tea towel

both are technically unhygenic

also there should be NO suds after rinsing

LOL.
    My mrs says ive got mild OCD so i kinda know where ur mrs is comin from.

I personally place them the wrong way up .... as you say, so the glasses become dry as the water will run away.
    Tell ur mrs that she can either make sure the drainer is clean or do as i do and rinse the top of the glass before i drink out of it lol.

Original Poster

cis_groupie;4918867

Upside down, rinsed out, but make sure there is a gap under the rim (so … Upside down, rinsed out, but make sure there is a gap under the rim (so the water can drain out).:thumbsup:

Babbabooey;4918875

+1If you leave them right side up then the remaining suds will dry into … +1If you leave them right side up then the remaining suds will dry into it, yuck.

get it!

2-0 to me.:friends:

One thing i cant stand is when people dont rinse the glass after washing it up, i.e leave soap suds in the glass!!!!
    YUK!!!

cis_groupie;4918867

This way, the water comes out. and nice and dry.

You're both right. They should be placed rim-down, but not on a flat surface, because a) the moisture doesn't evaporate, and b) it traps smells (try sniffing the glass a couple of hours later).

So the answer is to place them face down on a grid or draining board that has ridges to allow air in. Failing that, use the rim of the sink to prop up one edge so that air circulates in the glass.

Of course, you could always dry the things immediately after washing.

Banned

Afterburner;4918899

Of course, you could always dry the things immediately after washing.

But then you get fluff in the glass and you get bits stuck in your teeth

btw my missus and I both place them upside down even though the draining board is filthy - it won't kill you.

Banned

lumoruk;4918913

But then you get fluff in the glass and you get bits stuck in your … But then you get fluff in the glass and you get bits stuck in your teethbtw my missus and I both place them upside down even though the draining board is filthy - it won't kill you.

think your drinking from the wrong cup.....lol

botchilism will kill you btw

lumoruk;4918913

But then you get fluff in the glass and you get bits stuck in your teeth

Not if you use a fresh linen cloth. Wash with hot water and then rinse with cold.

try spraying your draining board with some dettol spray, kills 99.9% of bacteria.

flowers172;4918927

try spraying your draining board with some dettol spray, kills 99.9% of … try spraying your draining board with some dettol spray, kills 99.9% of bacteria.

I never get those 99.9% claims... what the hell is so tough about the other 0.1% ?!:x

I remember this same "discussion" - it was our first argument after getting married! I was a right way up and the missus was an upside down.
    Solution...........................
    We bought a dishwasher!

Banned

buy a dishwasher, problem solved

Banned

casparwhite;4918921

botchilism will kill you btw

So can MRSA but i've not died of that yet

sassie;4918949

buy a dishwasher, problem solved

Been thinking that all along. Let the dishwasher decide...........

Life is too short

Babbabooey;4918933

I never get those 99.9% claims... what the hell is so tough about the … I never get those 99.9% claims... what the hell is so tough about the other 0.1% ?!:x

perhaps they will solve that part one day.lol

Original Poster

Loving the replies.

cheers.

Original Poster

WoolyM;4919040

For those who missed it first time … For those who missed it first time ...........http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/356899/this-is-for-all-the-germ-conscious-/

yuk

Wrong way up

cis_groupie;4918867

+ me!

I've never heard of anyone leaving them the 'right way up' !!:w00t:

I'm more miffed about people's OH's doing the dishes,my last one never did,therefore the glass discussion never came into play.

BWT i rinse them under the tap then put them upside down in the drainer.

Upside down. How the hell is it gonna dry out the right way up for christs sake!

Its worse when staff in bars/restaurants etc pass you drinks holding the glass by the top where you drink out of,that puts me off!

deb8z;4919579

Its worse when staff in bars/restaurants etc pass you drinks holding the … Its worse when staff in bars/restaurants etc pass you drinks holding the glass by the top where you drink out of,that puts me off!

Oooh yuk!
    Glad im not the only 1 that annoys lol.

casparwhite;4918877

buy a tea towelboth are technically unhygenicalso there should be NO suds … buy a tea towelboth are technically unhygenicalso there should be NO suds after rinsing

tea towels are incredibly unhygienic!
    As others have said, buy a dishwasher.

Banned

Goonieman;4920131

tea towels are incredibly unhygienic!As others have said, buy a … tea towels are incredibly unhygienic!As others have said, buy a dishwasher.

lol now that depends on what you do with them......

personally i have a 2/3 anti bacterial tea towel just for washing up

not drying hands etc

now £10 of tea towels vs £200 dishwasher

why buy a dishwasher while renting?

also most people leave dirty dishes inside the dishwasher until full which will eventually cause a nasty odour to develop when bacteria gets infused inside the workings of a dishwasher.... ... which in turn means it has to be replaced

people think a dishwasher is hygenic but after seeing numerous dishwashers that are filty beyiond belief ............simply not true

I just leave the dishes to air dry,ya get fluff on them from tea towels.

Banned

deb8z;4920310

I just leave the dishes to air dry,ya get fluff on them from tea towels.

dont buy cheap n nasty and you wont have that problem....

lint free anti bacterial 1's

although i am lazy and often leave washing up on draining board until needed lol

You seem to be an expert in tea towels,lint free and anti bacterial.where do ya get those from:thinking:

Party time in your household! :roll:

Hmmm was he fibbing about anti bacterial tea towels..lol

Banned

deb8z;4920391

You seem to be an expert in tea towels,lint free and anti … You seem to be an expert in tea towels,lint free and anti bacterial.where do ya get those from:thinking:

cant remember but they like a microfibre almost like fleecey and dry really quick and extremely absorbant lol

maybe i should be a traveling salesman doing door 2 door with them in a suitcase like the good old days

just household goods shop or somewhere maybe even supermarket

casparwhite;4920668

cant remember but they like a microfibre almost like fleecey and dry … cant remember but they like a microfibre almost like fleecey and dry really quick and extremely absorbant lolmaybe i should be a traveling salesman doing door 2 door with them in a suitcase like the good old daysjust household goods shop or somewhere maybe even supermarket

Maybe a better offer would be someone who knocked and offered to wash the dishes...

Banned

[QUOTE=casparwhite;4920668
    maybe i should be a traveling salesman doing door 2 door with them in a suitcase like the good old days
    [/QUOTE]

Well you currently sound like a bloke doing a community punishment order

Banned

lumoruk;4921304

Well you currently sound like a bloke doing a community punishment order

send me your address and we can discuss it further

maybe throw in a tea towel for any spillages you may have:thumbsup:

I remember this same "discussion" - it was our first argument after … I remember this same "discussion" - it was our first argument after getting married! I was a right way up and the missus was an upside down.Solution...........................We bought a dishwasher!

So which way up do you put the glasses in the dishwasher? (or should this be the start of another thread?:-D)

I have been brainwashed by hubby to stand the glasses the wrong way up lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. DVD storage22
      2. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?77
      3. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door11
      4. Looking for a mobile phone with a £300 budget22

See more discussions