Washing wool garments

Found 25th Jan
I have a relatively newBosch washing machine, so a decent machine. It cleans clothes very well, except the wool wash doesn’t seem to be that clean.

I use ‘Woolite’ liquid detergent.

Are there better cleaner than this or something else I can do to improve the quality of the wool wash round?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
24 Comments
Are you saying it's leaving stains/marks or there is a smell on the garments?

You can pre treat. Or change your detergent.
Original Poster
windym3 h, 43 m ago

Are you saying it's leaving stains/marks or there is a smell on the …Are you saying it's leaving stains/marks or there is a smell on the garments?You can pre treat. Or change your detergent.

no smell but dirt stains don't seem to have been washed out. i have always used woolite but not sure how good it is. is there better detergent out there?

am i the only one with this problem and everyone else gets a clean wool wash or is this a general problem with the wool wash round?
I use Ecover (from most supermarkets). You could try a normal non bio (or even a bio if it's not overly delicate) and see how you get on.
Original Poster
windym8 m ago

I use Ecover (from most supermarkets). You could try a normal non bio (or …I use Ecover (from most supermarkets). You could try a normal non bio (or even a bio if it's not overly delicate) and see how you get on.

i don't even know why i use woolite. i just saw it on the shelf of the supermarket and have used it ever since. it doesn't seem very good and is quite expensive.

i don't know if i can use the washing capsules that i use for the normal wash, like bold, aerial etc? i have never tried but they may be better detergent as they seem to clean the other clothes much better. the jumpers that we wear are just standard stuff, nothing delicate about them, except that they are wool / acrylic.
If they aren't delicate then use one of your normal tabs/capsules. Just make sure you select the correct wash on your washer - you don't want it too hot or too fast a spin.

To be honest if the jumpers have any amount of acrylic in I would just wash with a standard tab.

Woolite and Ecover type detergents are for delicate wools really - cashmere, angora and silks etc.
Original Poster
windym16 m ago

If they aren't delicate then use one of your normal tabs/capsules. Just …If they aren't delicate then use one of your normal tabs/capsules. Just make sure you select the correct wash on your washer - you don't want it too hot or too fast a spin. To be honest if the jumpers have any amount of acrylic in I would just wash with a standard tab.Woolite and Ecover type detergents are for delicate wools really - cashmere, angora and silks etc.

will try thanks. our jumpers are acrylic as we are not big fans of wool.

we only have a few delicate cashmere jumpers that were given to us as gifts but they hardly ever get used as neither of us like cashmere.
Don't use liquid or liquid tabs detergent, It will gunk your plumbing and washer up.
Original Poster
.MUFC.1 h, 22 m ago

Don't use liquid or liquid tabs detergent, It will gunk your plumbing and …Don't use liquid or liquid tabs detergent, It will gunk your plumbing and washer up.

but i have always used liquid tablets and never have any problem. when i use powder, i have more issue with it clogging up the washing machine and leaving white marks on the washed clothes, which was why i switched to liquid tablet, which is more expensive than powder.

i know others have experienced completely the opposite, but this has been my experience. i used aerial washing powder when i did use washing powder, so it couldn't be that i used cheap washing powder, thereby causing the issues that i had experienced.
.MUFC.1 h, 27 m ago

Don't use liquid or liquid tabs detergent, It will gunk your plumbing and …Don't use liquid or liquid tabs detergent, It will gunk your plumbing and washer up.

My landlord told us when we moved in to not use powder as he found he would clog up the pipes and to use the capsules directly in the drum. I regularly used liquid and never had problems
hearts2210 m ago

My landlord told us when we moved in to not use powder as he found he …My landlord told us when we moved in to not use powder as he found he would clog up the pipes and to use the capsules directly in the drum. I regularly used liquid and never had problems

Capsules and tablets are very poor at cleaning as they have no bleaching Agents. In the long term they cause mould in the internal pipework. Powder is much better and half the price.

Always use powder for whites. My Bosch is now 15 years old and still runs perfectly and I'm in a hard water area.

Which report
"liquids from two major brands were so poor at stain removal that we’ve made them Don’t Buys. Bold’s 2in1 Bio Gel and Fairy’s Non Bio Gel are both so bad at getting rid of coloured stains such as blood, grass and mud, that we recommend you avoid them."
Edited by: "chocci" 26th Jan
mutley110 m ago

but i have always used liquid tablets and never have any problem. when i …but i have always used liquid tablets and never have any problem. when i use powder, i have more issue with it clogging up the washing machine and leaving white marks on the washed clothes, which was why i switched to liquid tablet, which is more expensive than powder.i know others have experienced completely the opposite, but this has been my experience. i used aerial washing powder when i did use washing powder, so it couldn't be that i used cheap washing powder, thereby causing the issues that i had experienced.

Can't say I've experienced many issues with powder baring having to clean out the draw every so often. If you do regular 90c washes then that may keep your plumbing clog free.

I did use liquid detergent for a while and noted it didn't perform very well in comparison to regular wash powder, I thought it was more convenient until I noticed it made the washing machine stink of rotten egg and clogged all my plumbing. It did the same to my grandmothers plumbing.

I use Surf myself and a Bosch washer, My old washer sometimes left white residue but that was usually because it was low temp wash or over filled.
mutley115 m ago

but i have always used liquid tablets and never have any problem. when i …but i have always used liquid tablets and never have any problem. when i use powder, i have more issue with it clogging up the washing machine and leaving white marks on the washed clothes, which was why i switched to liquid tablet, which is more expensive than powder.i know others have experienced completely the opposite, but this has been my experience. i used aerial washing powder when i did use washing powder, so it couldn't be that i used cheap washing powder, thereby causing the issues that i had experienced.

You were using too much powder
hearts2211 m ago

My landlord told us when we moved in to not use powder as he found he …My landlord told us when we moved in to not use powder as he found he would clog up the pipes and to use the capsules directly in the drum. I regularly used liquid and never had problems

Lol, It might be be a Northern/Southern thing then, It's hard water up here.
Original Poster
.MUFC.3 h, 36 m ago

Can't say I've experienced many issues with powder baring having to clean …Can't say I've experienced many issues with powder baring having to clean out the draw every so often. If you do regular 90c washes then that may keep your plumbing clog free.I did use liquid detergent for a while and noted it didn't perform very well in comparison to regular wash powder, I thought it was more convenient until I noticed it made the washing machine stink of rotten egg and clogged all my plumbing. It did the same to my grandmothers plumbing. I use Surf myself and a Bosch washer, My old washer sometimes left white residue but that was usually because it was low temp wash or over filled.

i never do wash at 90. mainly 60 and 40. the washing machine never smells and the plumbing has not been an issue as we have never had to clean the pipes.
Original Poster
chocci3 h, 33 m ago

You were using too much powder

possibly but i just put in a mug of tea full of powder for each wash. that was how much my mum put in the washing machine, so i did the same. she used washing powder as it is cheaper than capsules.
mutley123 m ago

possibly but i just put in a mug of tea full of powder for each wash. …possibly but i just put in a mug of tea full of powder for each wash. that was how much my mum put in the washing machine, so i did the same. she used washing powder as it is cheaper than capsules.

That is far too much powder. I use under a quarter of a cup and clothes are fine at 30 or 40 (white school shirts get 60) and I live in a hard water area. Manufacturers want you to use as much as they can get away with. The powder is cheaper and better, but that's not what is on Unilever's mind.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 26th Jan
Original Poster
OllieSt5 m ago

That is far too much powder. I use under a quarter of a cup and clothes …That is far too much powder. I use under a quarter of a cup and clothes are fine at 30 or 40 and I live in a hard water area. Manufacturers want you to use as much as they can get away with. The powder is cheaper and better, but that's not what is on Unilever's mind.

under a quarter cup? OMG, no wonder my machine is clogged and the clothes have white powder marks on them!

i will try washing powder and put less than a quarter cup in. will save me a fortune on capsules.
Mutley1. Check that the water in your machine is getting hot as well.
mutley16 m ago

under a quarter cup? OMG, no wonder my machine is clogged and the clothes …under a quarter cup? OMG, no wonder my machine is clogged and the clothes have white powder marks on them!i will try washing powder and put less than a quarter cup in. will save me a fortune on capsules.

I can't find the link, but there was a discussion by a woman chemist where she absolutely convinced many that liquid tabs are essentially perfume. She said forget manufacture quantities which are a farce. She said people will always feel that to put less powder than recommended would not clean their clothes and that is the last thing people want to do, yet she stated the con of liquid tabs is that you could double dose and it wouldn't clean your clothes better than 1/3rd dose of powder.

I don't know what her credentials were, but she convinced many. From that day I have only ever used powder. I'm not too much of a fusspot on matters like this, but I, like everyone else, wants clean clothes. I would find it hard to believe my clothes are anything but cleaned to a standard acceptable to everyone.
mutley14 h, 56 m ago

possibly but i just put in a mug of tea full of powder for each wash. …possibly but i just put in a mug of tea full of powder for each wash. that was how much my mum put in the washing machine, so i did the same. she used washing powder as it is cheaper than capsules.

Wow, we use just over a tablespoon of washing powder. Much more than that and the machine displays a 'too much powder' signal.
.MUFC.8 h, 40 m ago

Lol, It might be be a Northern/Southern thing then, It's hard water up …Lol, It might be be a Northern/Southern thing then, It's hard water up here.

We have very hard water here too in Essex. I can't drink from the tap in this house.

Doesn't the powder leave all gunk behind in the drawer? Never had that issue with liquid.

Anyway I don't really notice that much difference between powder and liquid /capsules. They all clean to an acceptable standard for me.
Edited by: "hearts22" 26th Jan
hearts2215 m ago

We have very hard water here too in Essex. I can't drink from the tap in …We have very hard water here too in Essex. I can't drink from the tap in this house.Doesn't the powder leave all gunk behind in the drawer? Never had that issue with liquid.

Yes it does, I used to think it was better to use liquid because it washes away easier but it doesn't, It allows mold to form and it gunks up and smells. The residue from the powder is easily washed away as it dissolves when it's in warm water, The draw is cold fed so it doesn't always dissolve. Do a little test, Get two cups of water, in one cup put some wash powder and the other put some liquid and see how long it takes for the mold to form!. It's always advisable to do a 90c wash occasionally to help clean your washer and the pipes!.
mutley118 h, 20 m ago

I think I have an inkling at the problem,
33146485-E3C9t.jpg
I suggest you leave the washing to your wife. Women know what they are doing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants