Groups

Wasps!

I have wasps. Not tonnes, but on average, 6 or more a day. They tend to be in the kitchen and bathroom, sometimes trapped in the bathroom light-fitting. I suspect there may be a nest in my loft (2nd floor flat), but not sure. They have only been in my flat for the last 3 weeks.

I assumed they were coming in through the windows at night, as it has been warm, but last night I kept them shut, and found 6 this morning around the windows. Some on the floor, not in the best of health

Form what I have read, they build their nest for the Winter, and emerge in Spring, so why am I only seeing them now, towards the end of Summer?

Anyway, I have currently been whacking them with a newspaper, then flushing them down the loo. Some have got caught under my tall lamp and been cremated, which gives off an incredibly powerful smell, like sulphur.

Any ideas of how to approach this problem?

15 Comments

ive noticed similar over the last 3 weeks too.. odd, perhaps there is a widespread problem going on with them?

Original Poster

I read further, and, apparently, once the Queen wasp has had enough, and moves on, the remaining drones have no food source (they eat the excrement of the larvae, which have now left), so they seek other sugary substances. One was in my beer bottle, that had a tiny amount left!

poinsy

I read further, and, apparently, once the Queen wasp has had enough, and … I read further, and, apparently, once the Queen wasp has had enough, and moves on, the remaining drones have no food source (they eat the excrement of the larvae, which have now left), so they seek other sugary substances. One was in my beer bottle, that had a tiny amount left!

If you have a nest either contact your local council or a reputable firm to completely remove it.

on a side note why are you leaving beer in the bottle?

drink it up oO

And don't forget this is now Spider Season so as the black things come in for winter the wasps should be starting to die out

Original Poster

Treboeth

If you have a nest either contact your local council or a reputable firm … If you have a nest either contact your local council or a reputable firm to completely remove it.on a side note why are you leaving beer in the bottle?drink it up oO

Good call But it was a tiny wafer-thin drop, and at least the wasp had a good last few hours. I am in a housing-association flat, so, I may just contact them. Don't fancy going in my loft without protection.

Original Poster

Agent004

And don't forget this is now Spider Season so as the black things come in … And don't forget this is now Spider Season so as the black things come in for winter the wasps should be starting to die out

I have a nice resident spider, and, he (or she) can't be arsed! Kids these days.

You're evil call greanpeace, peta, rspca & WWF (not the wrestling people). poor wasps. hahaha.

I just use a steamer to kill them

Original Poster

Saro

You're evil call greanpeace, peta, rspca & WWF (not the wrestling … You're evil call greanpeace, peta, rspca & WWF (not the wrestling people). poor wasps. hahaha.I just use a steamer to kill them

You are correct. I called the WWF (not the wrestling people), and Hulk Hogan is on his way.

I've had same thing as the op. In bathroom, and presume they're coming from loft through the extractor. The ones I've seen have all seemed to be on their last legs, and trying to get out of the window, so I've, in the main, just let them out. Not seen any for a couple of weeks, and then saw a massive one yesterday. I keep thinking it's not worth paying someone to come out to deal with the nest if this is as bad as it's going to get.

poinsy

You are correct. I called the WWF (not the wrestling people), and Hulk … You are correct. I called the WWF (not the wrestling people), and Hulk Hogan is on his way.

​someone's down voting the comments so we should stop killing insects

Original Poster

The massive one will be the queen I imagine, off to find a new nest. But, the drones will still be looking for food until they die.

just get an empty plastic bottle, remove the lid then cut off the top half. put some honey and water in and put the top half of the bottle in spout down. they will fly in to eat and can't get back out.

I'm allergic to the little gits (think My Girl), hate them, they ruin my summer every year. My Yorkie got stung twice the other day because she accidentally stepped on a wasp on the floor
    Anyway, get a professional in. You never know if you open your loft hatch it could be literally swarming with them. Either that or bide your time because they'll have died out within the next few weeks. Huzzah!

momartin

I'm allergic to the little gits (think My Girl), hate them, they ruin my … I'm allergic to the little gits (think My Girl), hate them, they ruin my summer every year. My Yorkie got stung twice the other day because she accidentally stepped on a wasp on the floor :(Anyway, get a professional in. You never know if you open your loft hatch it could be literally swarming with them. Either that or bide your time because they'll have died out within the next few weeks. Huzzah!

​Oooo you poor thing. I can't imagine how awful it must be to have an allergy to something that is incredibly unlikely to actually get in your system. You know, as apposed to something that you can't stop getting in your system, like pollen in the air you breathe.
    You poor mite.

I think I've only seen 1 wasp this summer, I remember them being a constant pain when I was a kid but hardly see any at all now. Are they an endangered species.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. seller asked for IMEI1111
      2. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2544
      3. cats and royal canin biscuits912
      4. Wifi extender1217

See more discussions