Watch Spring Bar Broken ! Help needed

Posted 19th Feb
3409444-AcaqP.jpg
Broken side

3409444-8hn8N.jpg
Ok side.

I love this watch been wearing it for a while , it fell off my wrist today , lucky the watch face wasn’t damaged

I did a bit of research online now for the right terms, the spring bar is broken as you can see on the pics.

I don’t know what spring bar to order on eBay / Amazon & if I need any tools ?

Any advice would be appreciated as I didn’t fix a broken spring bar before ?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
Just take it to a timpsons or similar should only be a couple of quid
Bobster-cyw19/02/2020 13:09

Just take it to a timpsons or similar should only be a couple of quid

Guess that’s another option didn’t think it was that cheap ?
Hi. If it's a standard spring bar then they are pretty cheap. I get mine from Ebay and they tend to come in various lengths - i.e. 18mm / 20mm etc. To determine the size, you measure the length of the bar WITHOUT the "springy" bits! It would probably be easier if unsure to take your watch to a shop that does repairs/sales (or even a jewelers) and they can assist.

Fitting them can be a little tricky if you have big fingers! It's a simple operation though as the pins are spring-loaded. Put the bar through the strap and hook one side into the watch jaw. Then, carefully depress the other spring-pin into the bar whilst simultaneously slipping it into the other side of the jaw. Once the spring-pin locates the hole in the jaw, it will "pop" out and lock the strap to the jaw.

I've never needed to use any special tools. Your fingernail usually does the job but I suppose you could use a very small "shim" (point of a knife) to hold the spring-bar in as it enters the jaw.

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix19/02/2020 13:16

Hi. If it's a standard spring bar then they are pretty cheap. I get mine …Hi. If it's a standard spring bar then they are pretty cheap. I get mine from Ebay and they tend to come in various lengths - i.e. 18mm / 20mm etc. To determine the size, you measure the length of the bar WITHOUT the "springy" bits! It would probably be easier if unsure to take your watch to a shop that does repairs/sales (or even a jewelers) and they can assist.Fitting them can be a little tricky if you have big fingers! It's a simple operation though as the pins are spring-loaded. Put the bar through the strap and hook one side into the watch jaw. Then, carefully depress the other spring-pin into the bar whilst simultaneously slipping it into the other side of the jaw. Once the spring-pin locates the hole in the jaw, it will "pop" out and lock the strap to the jaw.I've never needed to use any special tools. Your fingernail usually does the job but I suppose you could use a very small "shim" (point of a knife) to hold the spring-bar in as it enters the jaw.All the best, Phsy.

Thanks so much that was very helpful. Will follow these steps
39939339-VumER.jpg

That is the broken side I’m not sure of the points to measure ?
Should I remove the spring from the good side & measure that side ?
BigStart19/02/2020 13:19

Thanks so much that was very helpful. Will follow these steps [Image] That …Thanks so much that was very helpful. Will follow these steps [Image] That is the broken side I’m not sure of the points to measure ?Should I remove the spring from the good side & measure that side ?

You have to remove the whole bar to measure it properly. I keep looking at your photo and I keep thinking that the strap looks 'broken' as well as the bar. Where does that large flat plate locate on the watch? I can't picture without seeing the face where that bit goes? I hope it's not a "special" proprietary bar, unique to that manufacturer...

It's also an enclosed jaw (because of those little "wings" as I'd call them!) so you would need to locate the spring pin into the jaw - then relocate a thin shim in behind the "wing" to get at the spring pin again before insertion.
Phsycronix19/02/2020 13:29

You have to remove the whole bar to measure it properly. I keep looking at …You have to remove the whole bar to measure it properly. I keep looking at your photo and I keep thinking that the strap looks 'broken' as well as the bar. Where does that large flat plate locate on the watch? I can't picture without seeing the face where that bit goes? I hope it's not a "special" proprietary bar, unique to that manufacturer...It's also an enclosed jaw (because of those little "wings" as I'd call them!) so you would need to locate the spring pin into the jaw - then relocate a thin shim in behind the "wing" to get at the spring pin again before insertion.

39939443-d3ZYw.jpg
39939443-0S0Gh.jpg
39939443-kh88k.jpg
Is it broken ?
Doesn’t look broken, the wings and bar are just the edging of the strap to hide the bar etc.
Tbh I’d run it in to timpson’s. Literally a 2 minute job, and most of that will be them walking to the til!
Beautiful watch. I love watches!

This is weird - I can't get my head around your photos and where that plate goes, as the other "good" side doesn't look the same? The good side looks perfectly normal but the broken side???

39939533-5idCd.jpg
Having a 'moment' here. I can see that; once fitted; this flap folds back over the strap but WHY doesn't the other side look the same?
I know it's a hassle but would you consider posting a photo of the broken side sort of "fitted" as it would appear when intact? Both from the front - and the back?

That 'flap' part - it doesn't "slot" into the watchface, does it?
i have had to do this a few times for my brother's watch. you have to get the accurate pin so it needs to be the right length and circumference as it could be too long, too short or too thick to fit into the clasp.

the spring also needs to be the right size as being too thick, it won't fit in the small hole in the watch face.

i would just take it to a shop and ask them how much to put in a pin for you. they may charge £5 including the pin. any shop that does battery replacement will do it. i took it into hm samuel and f hinds and they never charged me anything and just gave me the pin from their stash. i think they were just being nice though and i got lucky with the guy doing the repairs so you may have to pay something, but i don't think it will cost much.
Phsycronix19/02/2020 13:56

I know it's a hassle but would you consider posting a photo of the broken …I know it's a hassle but would you consider posting a photo of the broken side sort of "fitted" as it would appear when intact? Both from the front - and the back?That 'flap' part - it doesn't "slot" into the watchface, does it?

It'll tuck slightly under the watch face.
Checked the display box to see if they supplied a spare spring bar but no luck

It’s still under the 3 year warranty but decided to take it to the shop to get it done as I don’t know the size of spring bar to get. If I knew the size would order from eBay. It’s so cheap
39940375-3ogUi.jpg
Edited by: "BigStart" 19th Feb
Here it is when I just got it a couple of years ago

39940529-NIuei.jpg
.MUFC.19/02/2020 14:10

It'll tuck slightly under the watch face.

Yeah MUFC. I thought that. It has to as otherwise I guess you'd either see it on the back - or the face! I guess it's a 'bracer' to stop the wriststrap folding at 90 degrees to the face/jaw?
BigStart19/02/2020 16:08

Here it is when I just got it a couple of years ago [Image]

Very nice. I don't suppose you considered contacting the manufacturer? They might have sent you a free spring bar as it's still under warranty? I presume you don't want the hassle of returning the watch for repair UNDER warranty? It might have got a check over and a proper clean inside and out too.

Here's hoping you can get it sorted BigStart.
Phsycronix19/02/2020 16:16

Very nice. I don't suppose you considered contacting the manufacturer? …Very nice. I don't suppose you considered contacting the manufacturer? They might have sent you a free spring bar as it's still under warranty? I presume you don't want the hassle of returning the watch for repair UNDER warranty? It might have got a check over and a proper clean inside and out too. Here's hoping you can get it sorted BigStart.

Ohh I didn’t realise you can have repairs made under warranty when it’s just wear & tear ? Is the spring bar breaking covered under manufacture warranty ? They do have a uk office
BigStart19/02/2020 16:18

Ohh I didn’t realise you can have repairs made under warranty when it’s jus …Ohh I didn’t realise you can have repairs made under warranty when it’s just wear & tear ? Is the spring bar breaking covered under manufacture warranty ? They do have a uk office

I guess it depends on the retailer or manufacturer. Some manufacturers can be REALLY accommodating as it boosts their image. As the saying goes: There's no harm in trying.

I'd have certainly shot an email and just ask if the watch can be repaired under warranty as the spring-bar has failed. Of course, a bit of buttering up never hurts so stress how much you love the watch/miss it being on your wrist/thrilled with it's performance until now etc. Give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? They tell you it's not covered. Fair enough - move on to your original plan and get it sorted.

Keep us posted on your endevours. I'd love to see a pic of the watch repaired in all it's glory.
Phsycronix19/02/2020 16:26

I guess it depends on the retailer or manufacturer. Some manufacturers can …I guess it depends on the retailer or manufacturer. Some manufacturers can be REALLY accommodating as it boosts their image. As the saying goes: There's no harm in trying.I'd have certainly shot an email and just ask if the watch can be repaired under warranty as the spring-bar has failed. Of course, a bit of buttering up never hurts so stress how much you love the watch/miss it being on your wrist/thrilled with it's performance until now etc. Give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? They tell you it's not covered. Fair enough - move on to your original plan and get it sorted.Keep us posted on your endevours. I'd love to see a pic of the watch repaired in all it's glory.

I just did as you suggested.

First I called Switzerland but they closed at 5pm, I followed up with a well worded email.

I’m fairly sure they will reply tomorrow, I got the automated response already.

Let’s see how it goes, I was happy to get fixed In the shops but as you suggested they might give it a clean so that’s worth the effort
BigStart19/02/2020 16:34

I just did as you suggested.First I called Switzerland but they closed at …I just did as you suggested.First I called Switzerland but they closed at 5pm, I followed up with a well worded email.I’m fairly sure they will reply tomorrow, I got the automated response already.Let’s see how it goes, I was happy to get fixed In the shops but as you suggested they might give it a clean so that’s worth the effort

Hehe. Don't count you chickens there. I've emailed companies plenty of times and get the "automated" response. Then you never hear a thing or a week later! Never mind though - as I said, you have nowt to lose by trying and as they are a good brand name you might be surprised by the response. Don't get despondent if you get a typical reply stating warranty policy etc. As you already accept - it might just be classed as wear and tear. Who knows? worse case, they refuse warranty but you could always ask; as a gesture of goodwill; they send you a spring-bar so you can repair your 'favourite' watch and enjoy using it again..

Exciting, isn't it?

39940898-qwaK0.jpg
Hi again BigStart. Your thread just randomly popped back into my head! Hehe. Did you get any joy regarding your watch, i.e. did you hear back from manufacturer at all? Hope so.

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix25/02/2020 13:03

Hi again BigStart. Your thread just randomly popped back into my head! …Hi again BigStart. Your thread just randomly popped back into my head! Hehe. Did you get any joy regarding your watch, i.e. did you hear back from manufacturer at all? Hope so.All the best, Phsy.

No they were rude as hell on the emails

I was shocked lol

I will take it to the shop today
They replied the next morning but it was broken english & they were almost angry because I thought this would be covered under warranty
BigStart25/02/2020 13:12

No they were rude as hell on the emails I was shocked lol I will take it …No they were rude as hell on the emails I was shocked lol I will take it to the shop today

BigStart25/02/2020 13:14

They replied the next morning but it was broken english & they were almost …They replied the next morning but it was broken english & they were almost angry because I thought this would be covered under warranty

Oh well. Sad to hear but still worth a try, eh? Perhaps a phone call would have conveyed a better sense of 'loss' to them and a human might have handled it differently? I can imagine if they get lots of Emails "trying it on" then they might get a bit fed up - and that comes over in their replies. If it were a human, I might have impressed upon them that you accept it's not a warranty issue; per-Se; but is there any chance they could send you a new bar so you can repair it? At the very least, I would have asked what specification bar you need to replace it.

Never mind. I'm sure the shop will get it sorted for you and you'll be back to enjoying it again. Cheers for coming back with an update though. It's nice; whether good or bad; to hear how something went.

Regards, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 26th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants