Watches - newbie, where to start (was £500 now £1k budget)

Posted 25th Dec 2019
Morning all and merry Christmas

I'm looking to get my first watch. I've seen a few listed on here but being completely new to watch makers watches I need help.

I know about fossil and the fashion brands and that's about it.

I'm looking for a nice, solid and well made watch. I'm not looking for a certain brand and as being new to watches I thought and was advised start lower and get used to having a watch on my wrist.

My initial budget was £1k but after taking advise I think about £500 might be better, it's going to get beaten up a bit I reckon.

I've been shown this from a member here and was given some good advise off the guy as well. I like the style and the price is great.

If I go with the Seiko I'd still like to continue learning about watches and brands as I could see myself wanting to get something more expensive and maybe starting a little collection in the future.

Thought I'd start a discussion as from reading comments on watch posts there seems to be some knowledgeable members on here.

Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
It’s all down to if you want a particular brand or just want a good looking watch, I purchased the one attached for about £60 a couple years ago and looks great (limited edition) and I still own it in fact, I use if I want change from my Apple Watch

39491406.jpg
Edited by: "danielbaillie1995" 25th Dec 2019
What style of watch do you want, a dive watch, dress watch, pilot watch, etc?

Christopher Ward are probably going to be your best bet and I'd imagine that they'll be having one of their sales very soon. You'll also want to bear Seiko, Citizen, Tissot, and Hamilton in mind.
From what I've seen I think a divers style watch is probably what I have in mind over a dress watch.

It would be an everyday watch I think, well as much as I could.

I've had fashion watches in the past but haven't worn a watch for a good 8yrs.

Christopher ward, will have a look now. Never heard of the brand which I why I made the discussion to discover all... Cheers
Edited by: "kingcr33ch" 25th Dec 2019
Go to some large stores, see how the watches actually look and if possible, wear them to see how they look on you. Don't get focused on the budget right now - cheap doesn't mean poor quality or bad looking.
kingcr33ch25/12/2019 09:20

From what I've seen I think a divers style watch is probably what I have …From what I've seen I think a divers style watch is probably what I have in mind over a dress watch.It would be an everyday watch I think, well as much as I could.I've had fashion watches in the past but haven't worn a watch for a good 8yrs.Christopher ward, will have a look now. Never heard of the brand which I why I made the discussion to discover all... Cheers

39491662-Dn8Ti.jpg
Have a look through the sale and might find something you are after
kingcr33ch25/12/2019 09:20

From what I've seen I think a divers style watch is probably what I have …From what I've seen I think a divers style watch is probably what I have in mind over a dress watch.It would be an everyday watch I think, well as much as I could.I've had fashion watches in the past but haven't worn a watch for a good 8yrs.Christopher ward, will have a look now. Never heard of the brand which I why I made the discussion to discover all... Cheers

Christopher Ward watches are extremely well regarded on the various watch forums, they make great watches at sensible prices and use Swiss Made moments, both quartz and automatic. Their Trident dive watch is what you'll be after, but just hang on until their next sale starts.

christopherward.co.uk/
By the way I'd also highly recommend joining the Watchuseek watch forum and browsing the WRUW (What are you wearing) threads in the Affordable Watch sub-forum there. You'll get plenty of fantastic ideas for watches in your budget.

forums.watchuseek.com/f71/
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 25th Dec 2019
Thanks for the info, will keep an eye on the CW sale and will jump on that forums later.
Tissot are pretty good for that price range, you might just about creep into Longines Conquest range in the sales. They're cracking Swiss watches for the price. Tissot are nice too, but the Longines feel a bit more premium in my opinion.

Christopher Ward is good too. There will be a lot of Seiko's within that price range too.
Edited by: "HDDan" 25th Dec 2019
deleted1965997
At that price I would look at Tissot, Hamilton, Seiko and Oris
I’d say a tag, they start a little over £500 but not much
tempt25/12/2019 16:48

This is a good deal at …This is a good deal at £599https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hamilton-jazzmaster-seaview-auto-chronograph-h37616331-with-etavaljoux-7753-3370717

Looks a deal that, shame I'm not liking the look. Size wise I reckon that would be way to big... I've small wrists
Seiko use to be decent I still have one in the draw but there not as good as they use to be, I prefer my citizens watch than my seiko, 5 year guarantee and no battery’s... they were around the £450 mark.. ok for work and kicking around I suppose. But you won’t get a wow factor watch for £500 even a grand you will get a tag but to be fair myself and friends lol when we see people trying to show a tag off...
Bargainhead26/12/2019 13:24

Seiko use to be decent I still have one in the draw but there not as good …Seiko use to be decent I still have one in the draw but there not as good as they use to be, I prefer my citizens watch than my seiko, 5 year guarantee and no battery’s... they were around the £450 mark.. ok for work and kicking around I suppose. But you won’t get a wow factor watch for £500 even a grand you will get a tag but to be fair myself and friends lol when we see people trying to show a tag off...

A few have mentioned Tag is chavvy, the aquamasters are nice but over what I want to spend.

Yeah I know even 1k is low-end but that's plenty for me. Had some good info on here and I'm leaning towards Longines at the min.

I got the Seiko listed on here yesterday to use as a daily, well that's if I like once delivered.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions