Watching apple TV on a smart TV that doesn't have the app ?

Posted 6th Feb
is there any way to do this ? I have a playstation, Xbox, android box and Samsung TV but none of these have the apple TV app.

tried doing the casting but they all look like they cost, and I only really wanna watch one show so now sure if it would be worth it !
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
MiniMissyMoo06/02/2020 08:58

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210740

Hmmm, I have a fire stick but it's a really old one. Will try it tonight
chrisredmayne06/02/2020 09:00

Hmmm, I have a fire stick but it's a really old one. Will try it tonight

Hopefully someone else knows another way. My Samsung tv has it which I’m surprised about but I don’t like the interface, I don’t find it as user friendly as Netflix.
MiniMissyMoo06/02/2020 09:01

Hopefully someone else knows another way. My Samsung tv has it which I’m s …Hopefully someone else knows another way. My Samsung tv has it which I’m surprised about but I don’t like the interface, I don’t find it as user friendly as Netflix.

My Samsung TV isn't even that old, maybe 4 years just weird they aren't rolling it out to as many devices as possible.
chrisredmayne06/02/2020 09:11

My Samsung TV isn't even that old, maybe 4 years just weird they …My Samsung TV isn't even that old, maybe 4 years just weird they aren't rolling it out to as many devices as possible.

LG seem to be monopolising on that one
Open up a web browser on one of the devices and go here: tv.apple.com/
ding06/02/2020 09:27

LG seem to be monopolising on that one

Samsung TVs from 2018 onward have the Apple TV App. Currently only 2019 LG TVs have the app and they only got it this week.

My Samsung TV isn't even that old, maybe 4 years just weird they …My Samsung TV isn't even that old, maybe 4 years just weird they aren't rolling it out to as many devices as possible.

Sadly a cheap Roku or Firestick is your best bet. Either that or plug in a laptop and watch it that way.
bobdylan06/02/2020 10:13

Open up a web browser on one of the devices and go here: …Open up a web browser on one of the devices and go here: https://tv.apple.com/

That might work actually, will try tonight !!
Roku 4K stick for £30 would be an easy way if you can't get the app on any of your existing hardware. It's a pity that the app isn't on the PS4 but I think I read somewhere that Apple are looking to roll it out to more devices which presumably includes the consoles.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 6th Feb

Newer models have them but 4 years is old for supporting apps never mind bringing new apps to old devices..
Bargainhead06/02/2020 11:00

Newer models have them but 4 years is old for supporting apps never mind …Newer models have them but 4 years is old for supporting apps never mind bringing new apps to old devices..

It's still getting new apps all the time, just got the britbox app added the other month
Have you tried Apple TV on phone or iPad as the product is rubbish, you pretty much have to pay for most content. Got a years free with new phone I got the wife, deleted it after an hour. There’s much better streaming services out there and I’m an apple user..
Bargainhead06/02/2020 11:02

Have you tried Apple TV on phone or iPad as the product is rubbish, you …Have you tried Apple TV on phone or iPad as the product is rubbish, you pretty much have to pay for most content. Got a years free with new phone I got the wife, deleted it after an hour. There’s much better streaming services out there and I’m an apple user..

I watched a few shows on it (For All Mankind, See, Servant, The Morning Show) and there are a few I still want to see like Little America, Mythic Quest, Home Before Dark and Amazing Stories... For £5/month in 4K it's not a bad service IMO.
Gormond06/02/2020 11:15

I watched a few shows on it (For All Mankind, See, Servant, The Morning …I watched a few shows on it (For All Mankind, See, Servant, The Morning Show) and there are a few I still want to see like Little America, Mythic Quest, Home Before Dark and Amazing Stories... For £5/month in 4K it's not a bad service IMO.

I pay for Netflix, then have iptv, also use cinema hd, titanium.. it theory I could get rid of Netflix as well as I get every program for free and movies..
Bargainhead06/02/2020 11:18

I get every program for free and movies..

That cant be through legal means though.
Edited by: "Gormond" 6th Feb
chrisredmayne06/02/2020 11:02

It's still getting new apps all the time, just got the britbox app added …It's still getting new apps all the time, just got the britbox app added the other month

Just not the app you want. I like Samsung TVs I have 3 off them as well as others, just tizen is rubbish App Store..
I use a Roku stick on a Samsung tv
Apple TV gies for quality not quantity, see,servant both very good
Bargainhead06/02/2020 11:21

Just not the app you want. I like Samsung TVs I have 3 off them as well as …Just not the app you want. I like Samsung TVs I have 3 off them as well as others, just tizen is rubbish App Store..

I had no issue with Tizen on my old QLED, was every bit as good as WebOS IMO.
I have a roku box and you can download the Apple app into that as well as amazon prime etc. Best £30 I’ve spent
Gormond06/02/2020 11:26

I had no issue with Tizen on my old QLED, was every bit as good as WebOS …I had no issue with Tizen on my old QLED, was every bit as good as WebOS IMO.

I use it for Netflix, I did have smartiptv app on there but they removed it there is other iptv apps, but I just put it on usb and use it off the usb on the tv. Shouldn’t have to mess around like that...

im not saying webos is any better I just think most smart TVs are not that smart. Unless you get a true android..
Gormond06/02/2020 11:19

That cant be through legal means though.

I legally bought 3 fire sticks and Nvidia shield..
Bargainhead06/02/2020 13:16

I legally bought 3 fire sticks and Nvidia shield..

Yes but the IPTV service to access all movies and TV shows free are very unlikely legal.
Bargainhead06/02/2020 13:15

I use it for Netflix, I did have smartiptv app on there but they removed …I use it for Netflix, I did have smartiptv app on there but they removed it there is other iptv apps, but I just put it on usb and use it off the usb on the tv. Shouldn’t have to mess around like that... im not saying webos is any better I just think most smart TVs are not that smart. Unless you get a true android..

I just use the standard streaming apps such as Netflix, Amazon, NowTV, AppleTV, YouTube... and all them work fast and are easy to use.
Gormond06/02/2020 13:22

Yes but the IPTV service to access all movies and TV shows free are very …Yes but the IPTV service to access all movies and TV shows free are very unlikely legal.

I don’t use iptv to access all the channels, I have it but never watch sports and I watch shows and movies on cinema and titanium apps on fire sticks or shield.. but iptv good to have, just in case...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants