watching iplayer how much memory does it take roughly?

14 replies
Found 24th Nov 2009
Thinking of upgrading my broadband usage so that i could watch iplayer and such like whenever i wanted. could someone give me an example of how much a typical hour long program would use...thanks.

1. Misc
  2. RAM
  3. Watch
14 Comments

3 megabytes/second for eastenders and 2.5 for everything else

Original Poster

Thinking of upgrading to 25 GB (think its GB)....does that sound ok then

yeah that will be fine

Original Poster

Thanks alot, rep given.

It'll depend on how much you watch and what other internet habbits you have. Iplayer uses approx 300 - 400mb per hour from what I have read.

mcfallg;6986804

3mb a second? That's not right, that'd be 180mb a minute!

mcfallg;6986804

It wont be 3 megabytes!

3 megabits possibly, so 375KB/s or about 1.4 GB/hour [even that sounds a lot, most streamed non-HD video will be half that or less]. So 25GB would give you about 15 hours viewing (half hour a day) and some spare for other usage...

Original Poster

That would probably do it...thought it would be nice to watch the odd program in bed every few nights so i think i will try the upgrade, thanks,

repped you all, thanks

i was taking the ****, i have absolutely no idea how much it uses

25GB of what?
and on what device (computer/iphone/other mobile)?

if you are talking about your home broadband service, you mean 25M/Bits, if you could get 25GB you would be breaking the laws of pyhsics for current technology...

dt_matthews;6986978

25GB of what?and on what device (computer/iphone/other mobile)?if you are … 25GB of what?and on what device (computer/iphone/other mobile)?if you are talking about your home broadband service, you mean 25M/Bits, if you could get 25GB you would be breaking the laws of pyhsics for current technology...

25GB of usage, as she says in the OP.

Apparently 30 mins of iplayer is typically ~120MB, so lots less. On 25GB per months you could be watching for over 6 hours every day!

Something else says its more like ~500Kbps so 250MB/hour, regardless I think its safe to say 25GB should be adequate for most users...

It gives you the programme size in MB under the video player.

Top Gear is streaming at 120 - 150KB/s which is about 0.120 - 0.150 MB/s

Original Poster

Painkiller;6988005

It gives you the programme size in MB under the video player.Top Gear is … It gives you the programme size in MB under the video player.Top Gear is streaming at 120 - 150KB/s which is about 0.120 - 0.150 MB/s

Oh thanks i will take a look never used it before.

thanks for all your comments.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. With or without cream?56
    2. Mobile WiFi calling?44
    3. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...810
    4. WANTED tickets for Logic Manchester23

See more discussions