Expired

Watching movies on iPad Mini, can it go full screen?

Found 6th Aug 2013
Hi guys,

Recently got an ipad mini, previously used the iPad 2.

I know its obvious that it is smaller, but I wondered if you could utilise the full screen when watching movies and videos on it?

I don't mean by the little button on the top right, as this cuts out the sides of the screen.... but rather by changing a setting or something like you can do with your TV?
Community Updates
7 Comments
Unfortunately not - due to the iPad's screen resolution and size, there will always be black bars on the top and button of the screen. I think there's a way to change this if you were jail broken, but altering the resolution isn't a native feature.
The only thing you can do is squeeze the screen, which will make the film look silly, you can't do this on a TV, it's just that the tv is widescreen where the iPad is not. The iPads first use is for web browsing etc, yes it plays movies but it is not for that primarily, you have to watch films and tv shows in their native resolution, or what they were recorded in, which sadly these days is not the size and shape of the iPad screen.
watch 4:3 movies
deleted434948
Guinea

Unfortunately not - due to the iPad's screen resolution and size, there … Unfortunately not - due to the iPad's screen resolution and size, there will always be black bars on the top and button of the screen. I think there's a way to change this if you were jail broken, but altering the resolution isn't a native feature.

aircanman

The only thing you can do is squeeze the screen, which will make the film … The only thing you can do is squeeze the screen, which will make the film look silly, you can't do this on a TV, it's just that the tv is widescreen where the iPad is not. The iPads first use is for web browsing etc, yes it plays movies but it is not for that primarily, you have to watch films and tv shows in their native resolution, or what they were recorded in, which sadly these days is not the size and shape of the iPad screen.

brilly

watch 4:3 movies

Thank for replying folks.

I thought as much. Not that the full iPad was up to much, just wondered if there was a way around it. I know it's not the biggest problem in the world, and is much more convenient on the train etc just sticking the headphones one and watching something.

I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to get 4:3 but if you're serious I would happily give it a shot. Any pointers?
I believe you can download video converters for iPad/iPhone and you can convert the film to 4:3

HD converter on winx website is sometimes free.
eh? if you want to watch a movie properly you watch it in the aspect ratio its filmed/supplied in
you dont mess about with it to fit a certain size and squash everything up
those black bars you hate are there to help you watch it properly
if you stretch and squeeze then its not right
if you chop bits off then its not right

some films are natively 4:3 like monsters inc etc
Limitations, hey.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions