Watching NTL Cable Box on PC

Hi,

Is there any way I can connect my NTL Cable Box to my PC without the need of an external aerial. I have NTL broadband so I could just get a splitter for that wire to go into the box, but I don't know how to connect it to my PC. I figure I'd need a TV card, but what sort? Can anyone direct me to a decently cheap one?

Whilst I'm at it, where can I get one of those splitters and will they do the job?!

Thanks.

29 Comments

Banned

I assume you have a cable box that you want to connect?

If you have, then you will need an analgue TV card (which are very cheap now) and run an RF (aerial lead) from the box to the card. You will now be able to watch and record on your PC. Simple!

Original Poster

Hi,

Yes, I do have an NTL cable box. All I need is:

TV card
Cable from card to box
Splitter to split external cable going into broadband modem/cable box.

Not sure what sort I should get though for each, not even sure what I'd be googling for!

Oh, and it's a digital NTL box if that matters...

Banned

Not sure what you mean by splitter?

How do you currently connect the box to the TV? Via scart ot aeriel (RF) lead? If the latter, then yes you will need to split that signal.

Any of these PCI cards or USB devices shoudl do the trick. ebuyer.com/sto…ers

Original Poster

The box is currently unconnected. I mean a splitter because there is one wire coming into my room from outside which is the NTL signal wire (don't know it's name)! It goes into my broadband modem and I need to split that connection so it goes into my cable box and broadband if that makes sense.

My dad has a box downstairs that connects via scart.

Banned

It is the box "downstairs" that decodes the signal. That is the only one that will allow you to view on the PC. (OK technically you probably can do so - but that would be illegal!!!!!!)

I dont think you can use the same optical fibre line for your pc broadband and for your cable box....the lines normally split when it reaches in the house......I may be wrong but I really doubt you could do it that way...because I think the cable tv and phone(if u have phone with them too) is on a different line then the broadband line, they split it in the outside box

Original Poster

Basically what happened is that we had a broadband line. We then ordered a standard NTL box and we split it ourselves (with NTL's permission) and ran the TV from that. But that split wire is downstairs and I want it to be upstairs, so I need to split it again.

Original Poster

Presuming the wire does work (I can test it), will any cheap analogue TV card do? Can anyone recommend me a cheap one?

Banned

No it wouldnt work (at least not without a second box). You need something to decode the TV signal.

There are boxes around that will do this (look on ebay for "the box"), but you are treading on dangerous ground. But if you did, then yes a cheap analogue card could be added to a PC to take the TV signal directly from your second box.

Certainly the leftovers from My NTL install, the TV was seperate from phone, so not 100% sure on what you speak of. But if it feeds the current box and works, then no reason it couldnt do the same from the same wire.

Are you confusing the ntl cable with a normal tv aerial?

Banned

donnydude;1460731

Are you confusing the ntl cable with a normal tv aerial?

Whist the differences in cables isnt made clear, I think he would know the difference between the NTL cable plugged into the NTL TV box and an aerial lead! Hope so anyway!!!

guv;1460788

Whist the differences in cables isnt made clear, I think he would know … Whist the differences in cables isnt made clear, I think he would know the difference between the NTL cable plugged into the NTL TV box and an aerial lead! Hope so anyway!!!

i agree guv it just sounds to me like he wants to use the ntl cable to watch tv on his pc

Banned

donnydude;1460806

i agree guv it just sounds to me like he wants to use the ntl cable to … i agree guv it just sounds to me like he wants to use the ntl cable to watch tv on his pc

And if that is what he meant, it ain't gonna happen!

also......u would need 2 cards too for the cable boxes to watch anything...which I doubt u would have

Yes you can do this simply with an analogue PC card connected to the RF/TV output of the ntl box.

The splitter you refer to you can pick up from Maplins for around £3.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/a25fb.jpg

They do a 2 way splitter too (which I have/use) but cannot find a picture

I have my broadband with wifi router attatched and TVDrive split this way.

Well if you only want the main channels then ntl still sends the analogue channels down the line. All you will need is a splitter suitable for cable tv which you can get from maplin and a fplug to aerial cable £2 from wilko then a cheap analogue tv card.

You could try using a slingbox if you don't mind spending some money.
slingmedia.com/

Original Poster

Clearly I've been unclear to what I'm trying for.

I have an NTL box downstairs. It has channels that I pay for etc. I am going to DISCONNECT that box so a spare box is no problem, I'm going to use that but I want to use it on my computer and to get NTL to put a new wire in my room will be much expensive.

In my room I have one wire coming from outside which goes into my broadband modem, the screw type with a metal pin. That's the wire I want to split so I can have a signal into my modem and cable box.

I then want to connect that cable box into a TV card, I presume via a standard aerial cable.

Is that clearer? If so, can someone point out a suitable but cheap TV card that'll work for this, I don't want to spend too much to be honest. Also, that splitter seems to be ideal but I'd need the wire that goes from that splitter into my cable box and into my broadband modem, would Maplin do that too? I don't know the name of this wire.

Banned

The cable you are trying to split is for broadband. The current wire to the box downstairs carries the TV signal. The latter is the one you would need to split. Or alternatively trace it back to the outside of the house, then thread that through to the bedroom. You wont be able to use your broadband cable to do what you are hoping to do.

guv;1463271

The cable you are trying to split is for broadband. The current wire to … The cable you are trying to split is for broadband. The current wire to the box downstairs carries the TV signal. The latter is the one you would need to split. Or alternatively trace it back to the outside of the house, then thread that through to the bedroom. You wont be able to use your broadband cable to do what you are hoping to do.

It all the same cable. I split my broadband cable to put my ntl box in the same room. Could put the broadband in my living room if needed.

Banned

GAVINLEWISHUKD;1464837

It all the same cable. I split my broadband cable to put my ntl box in … It all the same cable. I split my broadband cable to put my ntl box in the same room. Could put the broadband in my living room if needed.

Then they are doing things differently now then! Certainly when I had NTL, the TV was different to the phone (and what would have been Broadband as well).

More comments needed perhaps?

Well my cable has been here for about 15 years now and was diamond cable. Unless you were cut off for not paying the bill then your line should still be live. Best way to test this is to plug a tv it to it and tune the tv in. Then you could get a none encryption cable box and use it for free. (to watch free to air channels of course!)

Banned

guv;1464917

Then they are doing things differently now then! Certainly when I had … Then they are doing things differently now then! Certainly when I had NTL, the TV was different to the phone (and what would have been Broadband as well). More comments needed perhaps?

Telephone line is seperate to anything else

Broadband and TV come in on the same cable. You may have 2 seperate cables coming into the house but if you check the box outside your house (usually on the wall) there is one cable going in then its split to however many outlets you need.

You can definately split the BB cable to allow TV, and the TV cable to use BB.

It's always been like that.

one way to know for sure if u can use ur bb cable for the cable box......plug ur bbcabl to the box now to test it..se if u see any pictures on ur tv

Original Poster

So we've established that it'll work from the one external wire! So what sort of wires do I need once I buy this splitter? What are they called so I can search for them?

And can someone direct me to a cheap but suitable TV card that will work for all of the channels?

Banned

AV1985;1466243

And can someone direct me to a cheap but suitable TV card that will work … And can someone direct me to a cheap but suitable TV card that will work for all of the channels?

"Work for all the channels"?

It has to go via the TV box - and your TV card will display whatever channel the box is on.
You wont be able to watch an encypted channel from cable on your PC.

Original Poster

When I say all the channels, I mean the channels I pay for such as sky sports, the indian channels, etc. Meaning the channels the box is showing, nothing more than that!

The guv pointed out cards but there are some there that wouldn't be suitable as well (some are just radio stuff), could someone point out one that will definitely work for a low price?

Thanks.

Original Poster

Any that would for definite?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    2. How much would you pay for this chair?1214
    3. GOT Leaks again614
    4. PS4 Beta Software Version 5710

See more discussions