Watching the wildlife

Found 17th AprEdited by:"jaketheplumber"
Here are a couple of webcams featuring nesting raptors that I've been watching for the past few years.

This one is on a building ledge at Nottingham University, a peregrine falcon sitting on 3 eggs at the last count.

www4.ntu.ac.uk/sus…tml

The second one is from the Loch Of The Lowes in Scotland, an Osprey nest, second egg laid last night.

scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/
Community Updates
Misc
43 Comments
Thank you Jake can't get the falcons to work.
but we can post the ospreys here

looks very windy.
That's strange, I'm getting just the opposite. I've got them both saved to my desktop, I'm using IE but I can only view the ospreys in Firefox. Dunno why
Cheers Phil
Opened this as I saw nesting raptors and thought it was a dinosaur video......
farmlama8 m ago

Opened this as I saw nesting raptors and thought it was a dinosaur …Opened this as I saw nesting raptors and thought it was a dinosaur video......

Both are related though. Search dinosaur raptor on YouTube.
farmlama2 h, 19 m ago

Opened this as I saw nesting raptors and thought it was a dinosaur …Opened this as I saw nesting raptors and thought it was a dinosaur video......

It is.
Out walking the other night and saw a fox near the road in a built up area. Seen it a few times now so there must be a den near by.
Edited by: "summerof76" 18th Apr
summerof768 h, 12 m ago

Out walking the other night and saw a fox near the road in a built up …Out walking the other night and saw a fox near the road in a built up area. Seen it a few times now so there must be a den near by.

There's a skulk of foxes that gather just outside my flat every evening. Noisy bleeders too.

I live literally 10 minutes walk from this place. Loads of wildlife, including all three native woodpeckers, kestrels, owls and a range of waterfowl. You can also hear the skylarks this time of year too. You know summer is on its way when you hear them singing.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 18th Apr
jaketheplumber19 h, 13 m ago

That's strange, I'm getting just the opposite. I've got them both saved …That's strange, I'm getting just the opposite. I've got them both saved to my desktop, I'm using IE but I can only view the ospreys in Firefox. Dunno why

Thanks for posting by the way Jake, and everyone else as well. Sent all links to my brother as well, he is also a birder like yourself.
Wongy11012 h, 35 m ago

It is.

What came first: the chicken or the egg?
Edited by: "LemonHead" 18th Apr
Thanks Jake. Great links
LemonHead2 h, 2 m ago

What came first: the chicken or the egg?

Depends how hard you throw them.
The peregrines at St John's in Bath have started hatching, there are 4 eggs in total and it looks like at least two have hatched so far.

upp.hawkandowl.org/bat…18/
All four hatched successfully.
I've got a robins nest in the front garden and a blackbirds nest just outside of my conservatory. They come and nest every year and the chicks are cute to watch
All three eggs at the Norwich Cathedral site hatched successfully.

upp.hawkandowl.org/nor…18/
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 7th May
I identified this as a red headed duck thingy.
33830390-W2LZp.jpg
I think that's either a merganser or a goosander, I can never tell them apart.
The first Osprey at Loch of the Lowes hatched this morning.
jaketheplumber20th May

I think that's either a merganser or a goosander, I can never tell them …I think that's either a merganser or a goosander, I can never tell them apart.

Have to say wasn't really convinced after googling that.

maybe this will clear things up

33873937-nw9G3.jpg

33873937-KZw7a.jpg
The second pic are Great Crested Grebes, still not sure about the first one.
Satanic duck if you ask me
although a very timid one.
2nd Osprey chick has hatched at Loch of the Lowes, the Bath St John's peregrines lost one chick but the other three are coming on very quickly, the Norwich nest also has three healthy chicks. Unfortunately the Notts University clutch failed to hatch but that's the first failure in several years.
Wongy1101 m ago

Satanic duck if you ask me although a very timid one.

It does look a bit evil eyed it has to be said.
Springwatch live cams.
bbc.co.uk/eve…p5v
Edited by: "Wongy110" 28th May
On the subject of wildlife, here are a few scenes from a French made movie called Microcosmos which came out about 20 years ago. Some of the high res close up filming techniques are well known and widely used these days but were quite revolutionary at the time.

Enjoy.

Dung beetle gets stuck

Snails have a romantic interlude

Processionary caterpillars

Mosquito hatching

Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 6th Jun
Awww poor little beetle

that ant blocked by the caterpillars is like me trying to cross the main road here.

thank you
jaketheplumber1 h, 20 m ago

On the subject of wildlife, here are a few scenes from a French made movie …On the subject of wildlife, here are a few scenes from a French made movie called Microcosmos which came out about 20 years ago. Some of the high res close up filming techniques are well known and widely used these days but were quite revolutionary at the time.Enjoy. Dung beetle gets stuck[Video] Snails have a romantic interlude[Video] Processionary caterpillars[Video] Mosquito hatching[Video]

i remember seeing processionary caterpillars in athens when I was about 17. Never seen the like. Then a car came along and squashed them all.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 6th Jun
psychobitchfromhell8 m ago

i remember seeing processionary caterpillars in athens when I was about …i remember seeing processionary caterpillars in athens when I was about 17. Never seen the like. Then a car came along and squashed them all.

Was going to say then they all end up in a big jam.
Amazing BBC footage of a Sparrowhawk hunting flight.

The peregrines in Bath fledged a couple of days ago, looks like the Norwich brood are about to do the same. They are in fantastic condition.

upp.hawkandowl.org/nor…18/
I guess they have someone keeping 'lookout' in the tallest tree?
33975341-fP968.jpg
33975341-uxahX.jpg
Bit blurry but an action shot of our friend a different lake so I guess they are very common round here.
33975341-JkIF7.jpg

Bit blurry and small again but not easy to take a photo of dragonflies 'on the wing'
a blue/green one this time the others I seen this week have been brown.
33975341-h70DN.jpg
Great pics Wongy, I think that striped dragonfly is a Southern Hawker, used to see lots of them around the Cotswold Water Park. They can grow to quite a size
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 12th Jun
That sounds about right Jake.
33982491-UtC0W.jpg
Just got back from there again didn't take my camera even forgot my phone
but just stunned by it all cormorants,herons more dragonflies
and then a huge ripple on the lake must be massive fish in there just gobsmacked
then look over my shoulder a stoat looking at me just eight feet away.
It's amazing what you get to see there around the smaller quieter lakes away from all the noise of the water sports and such.
This is interesting Jake spotted these on the other side of the country while I was away
and yet here they are back home fairly common I suppose ?
34141349-YsquW.jpg
jaketheplumber6th Jun

Amazing BBC footage of a Sparrowhawk hunting flight.[Video]

That video is amazing! Really interesting to watch. (Feel sorry for those garden birds though, it's not an easy life out there. )
Edited by: "cakeh" 26th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants