Water Bill Error !!!

Hi all,

I got my quarterly water bill the other day, and for the past 4 years, we have been paying £60 p/m. I've queried it a few times, but UU just say we are high users of water (2 adults, both working, noone in during day.....), and send out a "How to Save Water" leaflet.

This time though, I told them I wanted an engineer to come out & have a look at the water meter as I wasnt happy with the cost.

Low & behold, someone did come out & found out that we have been paying for next doors water (household of 5 with 3 small kids !!!) for the last 4 years !!!!!!!

It's going to take a few months to sort out, but we can claim back everything we overpaid for (about £20-£25 per month for 48 months = £960-£1200 !)

I'm just wondering, where would I stand in regards to compensation ? If that cash had been sitting in my account earning interest, how much am I really out of pocket ?

Chris

54 Comments

surely you overpaid more then 20-25 a month, if its just 2 adults at yours?? I would have thought your neighbours would have paid lion share of 60? more like you overpaid 30-35? wrt to compo go to citizens advice and ask adviser there, its free legal advice, also try MSE forums usually some good help on there from Martin and co

So your neighbours were paying nothing??

Original Poster

Had a word with next door, they reckon they are paying £38 a month........

I'll try MSE later thanks, I'll see if anyone on this board knows where I stand.

Repped

Original Poster

Benjimoron;5152954

So your neighbours were paying nothing??

They were paying our bill, we were paying thiers.

ChrisUK;5152967

see the bad thing about that is, yes you may get your cash back, with some compo (possibly) but is unlikely they (neighbours) will have to pay back any cash they technically owe over the 4 years because its the water companies fault. Good thing you spotted it!

was a thing similar on watchdog few weeks ago and they said the water company only have to payback for a year (legally) but that was people being charged for water waistage , but maybe the will try use the same spill on you

Try the Consumer Council for Water for advice ]here :thumbsup:

ChrisUK;5152967

Ah I see, do you think they swapped it over deliberately?

Just had our leccy bill, £1040 for the last quarter WTF! Is it even possible to use that much in 3 months?

I would suggest the fairest way of resolving it is getting the water company to agree to taking a reading now, then taking another one in a weeks time and then use this weekly reading to work out roughly what you would have used over the 4 years. Unless your circumstances changed during the past 4 years, I'd have thought that would give you and the water company a pretty good idea of your usage. For 2 adults that are out at work all day, I'd say £38 a month is still pretty high.

For me, I'm in and out most of the day picking kids up/dropping them off etc, and I've got 2 young kids, one of them home most of the day, and although we're not metered, my water is taken by DD over 10 months and I think it's about £29 a month.

Shengis;5153065

Just had our leccy bill, £1040 for the last quarter WTF! Is it even … Just had our leccy bill, £1040 for the last quarter WTF! Is it even possible to use that much in 3 months?

Check to make sure its not estimated. leccy companies always "estimate" your readings unless you provide them with readings and chance that you'll pay bill, happened to me twice, once at uni, once in my latest place, there estimated readin was off by 600 quid, so I sent them a lovely letter with photo of actual readin for proof, and got a discount on next Q.

Charlie&Lola;5153079

I would suggest the fairest way of resolving it is getting the water … I would suggest the fairest way of resolving it is getting the water company to agree to taking a reading now, then taking another one in a weeks time

and then go on holiday for a week!

bfjem;5153097

Check to make sure its not estimated. leccy companies always "estimate" … Check to make sure its not estimated. leccy companies always "estimate" your readings unless you provide them with readings and chance that you'll pay bill, happened to me twice, once at uni, once in my latest place, there estimated readin was off by 600 quid, so I sent them a lovely letter with photo of actual readin for proof, and got a discount on next Q.

This is on an actual reading. I reckon the meters ******. EDF, we used to pay about £70 a month, think that was with BG.

Shengis;5153111

This is on an actual reading. I reckon the meters ******. EDF, we used to … This is on an actual reading. I reckon the meters ******. EDF, we used to pay about £70 a month, think that was with BG.

Get an energy monitor, might be able to double check.

Original Poster

tregs;5153035

Try the Consumer Council for Water for advice ]here :thumbsup:

Emailed them.

Thanks for that

Shengis;5153111

This is on an actual reading. I reckon the meters ******. EDF, we used to … This is on an actual reading. I reckon the meters ******. EDF, we used to pay about £70 a month, think that was with BG.

christ...yeah defo get an energy monitor, make records and present evidence to the company then ask for a meter check, if you can show doubt in the meters readings you can get it sorted

Original Poster

brock101;5153018

was a thing similar on watchdog few weeks ago and they said the water … was a thing similar on watchdog few weeks ago and they said the water company only have to payback for a year (legally) but that was people being charged for water waistage , but maybe the will try use the same spill on you

Have you got a linky to that ?

I hope they dont try that trick as I will not be as nice as I have been so far......

Original Poster

Benjimoron;5153049

Ah I see, do you think they swapped it over deliberately?

I think it was just the water comapny (UU) who messed up, not sure how it all works ?

Banned

you will be lucky to get all the cash back you are owed never mind compensation

probably give you a years worth back unless you make a big song n dance about it

similar case on watchdog the other week an old man had paid too much for like 25 years and they gave him sod all back....imagine its on the watchdog website

Original Poster

Charlie&Lola;5153079

I would suggest the fairest way of resolving it is getting the water … I would suggest the fairest way of resolving it is getting the water company to agree to taking a reading now, then taking another one in a weeks time and then use this weekly reading to work out roughly what you would have used over the 4 years. Unless your circumstances changed during the past 4 years, I'd have thought that would give you and the water company a pretty good idea of your usage. For 2 adults that are out at work all day, I'd say £38 a month is still pretty high. For me, I'm in and out most of the day picking kids up/dropping them off etc, and I've got 2 young kids, one of them home most of the day, and although we're not metered, my water is taken by DD over 10 months and I think it's about £29 a month.

That is what they are doing, once the situation has been sorted, they are taking a months reading & using that as my "average".

I think metering is a lot more expensive though than a fixed bill

Wish I was on a fixed water supply to be honest......

About £40 here a mth for water on water meter,I think dear,wish we on standing charge.

Elec shouldn't be over £1000...I pay about £100-130 every 3mths,it varies,also with EDF.I've got gas tho on top.

bfjem;5152924

surely you overpaid more then 20-25 a month, if its just 2 adults at … surely you overpaid more then 20-25 a month, if its just 2 adults at yours?? I would have thought your neighbours would have paid lion share of 60? more like you overpaid 30-35? wrt to compo go to citizens advice and ask adviser there, its free legal advice, also try MSE forums usually some good help on there from Martin and co

Does this mean im payin over the odds then?
I live on my own (gf n kids at w/e) but i pay just under 40 quid a month.
I'm out from 6am to 7pm mon - fri n also work sat 7-1.
I have a bath every night and do 2 or 3 loads of washin at the w/e.
Does this sound right?

Original Poster

A bath every night will bumo the price up mate, £40 sounds right to me.

Just watching the Watchdog programme now..................

ChrisUK;5153283

A bath every night will bumo the price up mate, £40 sounds right to … A bath every night will bumo the price up mate, £40 sounds right to me.Just watching the Watchdog programme now..................

Gutted!
Thought i might've been payin too much.
Seems a lot tho doesnt it? (Or is it just me lol)

magough;5153243

Does this mean im payin over the odds then?I live on my own (gf n kids at … Does this mean im payin over the odds then?I live on my own (gf n kids at w/e) but i pay just under 40 quid a month.I'm out from 6am to 7pm mon - fri n also work sat 7-1.I have a bath every night and do 2 or 3 loads of washin at the w/e.Does this sound right?

lol im no expert I was speculating based on logic (or my logic lol) my water bill for a flat on me tod is like 25 a month in london, but it is a studio and very small, similar circumstance to yourself, out all day at work and one shower a day, plus minimal use, but mines fixed rate not meter, meters can be good and bad I guess. A friend of similar circumstance is on meter and pays about 35 a month, so i guess your about spot on (once again this is my opinion)

Original Poster

Here is the Watchdog prog if interested

bbc.co.uk/blo…tml

Can beat that just has a gas bill for £6715!!!

I live alone in a 1 bedroomed apartment.

British Gas are looking into a possible error(really!) as I normally pay £22 a month

boothy;5153371

Can beat that just has a gas bill for £6715!!!I live alone in a 1 … Can beat that just has a gas bill for £6715!!!I live alone in a 1 bedroomed apartment.British Gas are looking into a possible error(really!)

:w00t: I think we have a winner for biggest error! either that or a or you clearly live in a appartment that runs purely on gas, and are surrounded by radiators!

These companies are just unbelievable!!

I wouldn't bother with CAB or OFWAT, it will take far longer and the company will just do the absolute minimum. Just work out how much you should have paid (We have 2 adults and 1 infant in our house and we pay £75 a quarter on a meter with washing machine & dishwasher constantly running), then use a compound interest calculator on the overpayments then add in £10 an hour for you effort. Then take that to the small claims court and get them to pay up. They can sort out the account problems on THEIR time, but they owe you money.

ChrisUK;5153205

Have you got a linky to that ?I hope they dont try that trick as I will … Have you got a linky to that ?I hope they dont try that trick as I will not be as nice as I have been so far......

i watched it on tv , ill have a look on there website

casparwhite;5153209

you will be lucky to get all the cash back you are owed never mind … you will be lucky to get all the cash back you are owed never mind compensationprobably give you a years worth back unless you make a big song n dance about itsimilar case on watchdog the other week an old man had paid too much for like 25 years and they gave him sod all back....imagine its on the watchdog website

he see it to
o

I had the reverse, my bills were too low and kept complaining took them 2 years to realise they had the wrong water meter registered on my account (despite me telling them every quarter)

My neighbours who were paying for our water had to put in a claim to get the overpayment back, I refused to pay the shortfall on the basis that I'd told them numerous times so they just wrote it off :-D

casparwhite;5153209

you will be lucky to get all the cash back you are owed never mind … you will be lucky to get all the cash back you are owed never mind compensationprobably give you a years worth back unless you make a big song n dance about itsimilar case on watchdog the other week an old man had paid too much for like 25 years and they gave him sod all back....imagine its on the watchdog website

Totally different case and nothing to do with the OP

In this case the OP has been paying for next door probably because of a crossed supply or a single supply pipe supplies both properties , he will get all his money back not just a years worth.

Banned

deanos;5154862

Totally different case and nothing to do with the OPIn this case the OP … Totally different case and nothing to do with the OPIn this case the OP has been paying for next door probably because of a crossed supply or a single supply pipe supplies both properties , he will get all his money back not just a years worth.

here you go again with your unsubstantiated crap....im still awaiting your explanation from your other posts in my thread btw

obviously it does have something to do with the op and a few people seem to agree or have you been reading the wrong thing again!?!?

its water = same
overcharged = same
wanting refund = same

so in fact the cases are actually quite similar and if you bothered to read the post properly instead of looking to have an argument with me you would see i said that the other people were only offered a years refund.....unless you kick up a stink like they did with watchdog but no chance of getting compensation

good comparison in fact and possibly more info on the watchdog site regarding these kind of problems which is a little more helpful than your post imo

Npower recently gave me £35 as a token of goodwill for the problems i have had with them for the last 2 years where they have accused me of owing them money from before i even lived here (i got CAB involved to resolve it)

Water bills here are £16 a month for 2 adults who use the shower instead of baths each day

hope you all get sorted soon

casparwhite;5156999

here you go again with your unsubstantiated crap....im still awaiting … here you go again with your unsubstantiated crap....im still awaiting your explanation from your other posts in my thread btwobviously it does have something to do with the op and a few people seem to agree or have you been reading the wrong thing again!?!?its water = sameovercharged = samewanting refund = sameso in fact the cases are actually quite similar and if you bothered to read the post properly instead of looking to have an argument with me you would see i said that the other people were only offered a years refund.....unless you kick up a stink like they did with watchdog but no chance of getting compensationgood comparison in fact and possibly more info on the watchdog site regarding these kind of problems which is a little more helpful than your post imo

Its totally different, the Watchdog case was about "surface water charges" which can be only backdated 1 year, the Op is being overcharged for water as its suppling the neighbours, totally different to the Watchdog case and the OP will get all his charges back not just a years worth

Surface water charges are where water from roof gutters go into a soakwaway and not into the sewer, and customers have to tell the water company if they are ona soakaway to get the discount, you only have to do this once and its applied each year

So im sorry but you are talking crap

Banned

deanos;5157258

Its totally different, the Watchdog case was about "surface water … Its totally different, the Watchdog case was about "surface water charges" which can be only backdated 1 year, the Op is being overcharged for water as its suppling the neighbours, totally different to the Watchdog case and the OP will get all his charges back not just a years worthSurface water charges are where water from roof gutters go into a soakwaway and not into the sewer.So im sorry but you are talking crap

ok my child, i know what i watched and same as 1 or 2 others in this thread
also there a few other people in the same boat bbc.co.uk/blo…tml

if you want to argue try and make sure you pick a subject you know something about like sticklebricks or lego or something

rather than try to tell somebody that what theyve posted has no relevance with whats being asked/discussed when it actually does.... ...

btw this has nothing to do with surface charges, op was asking about compensation which is highly unlikely like i already mentioned

Oh dear, i was replying to your post which you said

casparwhite;5153209

I cant see anything in the link you quoted about them paying too much on a meter for 25 years ?

And nowhere can i see it mentions about them only gettting 1 years worth of payments back ?

But i can see those mentioned on the Watchdog surface charges thread which has nothing to do with the OP's case like i said in my original post

So i fail to see why both cases are similar ?

I suggest you read my reply to your original post again
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763987
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213595
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846087
    4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941301

See more discussions