Water Damaged iphones on ebay

Found 1st Jan 2013
Why do people buy them when the phones don't even switch on?

am I missing something here?

I can see any use of a phone thats been dropped in water and no longer turns on.
Community Updates
MisciPhone
23 Comments
Spares or repairs, it's quite obvious.
theworkingdead

Spares or repairs, it's quite obvious.

Yes buy surely noting going to work if its dead and not turning on.
to scam apple
lastlaststar

Yes buy surely noting going to work if its dead and not turning on.

Could just be the mainbord that died due to the water, the other components could well work.
Apple may replace it for a working one for ~£140
Some people as said above, repair them or take the water markers out and replace them with bits of paper etc to try and fool the manufacturers.
Casing, buttons, screen spares.
Repairing them.
Your data
BustaLinx

Apple may replace it for a working one for ~£140

Please elaborate on the "may". part.
MadeDixonsCry

Please elaborate on the "may". part.

Apple might replace it for a working one for ~£140, maybe.
Most of the other parts will work fine. People may need the housing or parts of the trim. Works out cheaper than buying the replacement bits individually most of the time.
Well that explains it, Off to ebay to sell my water damaged iPhone.
Insurance fiddles? ie take out gadget insurance such as protect your bubble for said phone wait 2-3 months to play it cautious maybe a little longer. Ooops just dropped my phone down the bog how fortunate i bought that insurance. (personally I'd have just flushed the loo and hope that got rid of the piece of crap)

water damaged phone
+insurance premiums
= Cheapo iphone
I had a water damaged iPhone and got it replaced for the £130- 140 mark.. can't remember which.. So I assume if someone can buy a cheap one off eBay.. and use the Apple Care Scheme to get a new one for 140.. They can re-sellf for much more!!
I dropped my iphone in the loo about two months ago. Sent it off to an online repairer as it wasn't switching on etc. and they only charged me £65 to fix it. Came back good as new.
Took my iPhone for a swim apple replaced it for nowt
Was quite upfront that it had been swimming
No charge as a good will gesture
roof30

I dropped my iphone in the loo about two months ago. Sent it off to an … I dropped my iphone in the loo about two months ago. Sent it off to an online repairer as it wasn't switching on etc. and they only charged me £65 to fix it. Came back good as new.

They probably waited for it to dry, then sent it back
took my iPod swimming in the states. we were going to the Florida Mall anyway, so booked an genius appointment to see how much a replacement may be.
Very helpful, honest that it had been in a pool.
Great worldwide warranty the guy went into the back after inspecting and came out with a nice new/refurb one. No worries he said, processed the free replacement and off I went to the M&Ms store all happy!
Fair play to Apple, expensive locked down stuff, but great warranty.
You can clean the PCB with an isopropanol bath and often the phone is fine, with most hand held devices there tends to be a short circuit that occurs on the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the motherboard. Often the battery is fatally damaged too.

The only damage to the motherboard is usually the minerals in the water sticking to the circuitry (hence the bath in isopropanol), this impedes the flow of electricity and causes the device to behave strangely or not boot at all. Also if it has been dropped in water a long time ago (weeks/months) corrosion can set in making the board useless/extremely difficult to repair.

I've fixed water damaged gadgets many times

Edited by: "spaceinvader" 2nd Jan 2013
First thing to do with any water damaged gadget is to remove the battery if possible (not just switch off), if the battery is removed the short circuiting that does the most damage to parts cannot occur, then take the device and place in a bowl of dry (uncooked) rice in a warm place (god bless our airing cupboard) for at least 24 hours before checking and replacing the rice with fresh and leaving another 24 hours, never had to pay to get a phone fixed that has had this damage by doing exactly this.
roof30

I dropped my iphone in the loo about two months ago. Sent it off to an … I dropped my iphone in the loo about two months ago. Sent it off to an online repairer as it wasn't switching on etc. and they only charged me £65 to fix it. Came back good as new.

who was that with?
I buy water damaged iPhones a I know a way of fixing them and then I sell them on and make money.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants