Water dripping from Boiler - HELP NEEDED

Found 6th Jan 2015
Hi All,

I've noticed that water is slowly dripping from the underside of my boiler (KESTON C36 COMBI).

I have taken the cover of the boiler to identify the fault and it seems to be coming out from the end of a metal pipe. For now I have turned off the boiler and the water mains to stop the water from dripping.

I'm going to call out an expert but wondered if it sounded like a common thing to some of the more experienced people on this forum.

Is there a simple fix for this problem that I might be able to do DIY?

Please see the video link of the water dripping.

youtube.com/wat…8Hw

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

14 Comments

Can't you tighten that bad boy? Maybe with some PTFE tape or whatever it's called?

Banned

Don't you just need to tighten the nut

Looks like a failed heat exchanger.

Not a difficult thing to change - no idea about costs though.

I'm assuming that the leak is from the heat exchanger rather than just the nut leaking as suggested above.

think this is the part number :
DHW Heat Exchanger (C.10C.2.09.00.0)
kestonheatingspares.co.uk/kes…tml

Edited by: "mas99" 6th Jan 2015

tighten your nuts, they have come loose with heat expansion

diaphragm needs replacing

It's illegal to work on a boiler under the hood

Removing the cover is against the law, Call a plumber.

esar

It's illegal to work on a boiler under the hood

no actually. as long as u don't disturb the gas line u can take the main cover of. its only if u was to take the second cover of to the combustion chamber u would be breaking the law or disturbing anything that would effect the gas. dismantling the dhw part is completely fine and does not need to be a gas engineer.

what u need to do is see if u can tighten the nut with a spanner. it it does not work the undo the nut replace the 1/2inch fibre washer and re tighten the nut. any tap connector or 1/2 inch fibre washer should fit. do it with the main water turned off

kash2013

no actually. as long as u don't disturb the gas line u can take the main … no actually. as long as u don't disturb the gas line u can take the main cover of. its only if u was to take the second cover of to the combustion chamber u would be breaking the law or disturbing anything that would effect the gas. dismantling the dhw part is completely fine and does not need to be a gas engineer. what u need to do is see if u can tighten the nut with a spanner. it it does not work the undo the nut replace the 1/2inch fibre washer and re tighten the nut. any tap connector or 1/2 inch fibre washer should fit. do it with the main water turned off

Happy to be corrected

however its a keston...
not best known for reliability

might want to start saving for a replacement.

A brand to avoid, according to Which?, is Keston. An enormous 79% of the … A brand to avoid, according to Which?, is Keston. An enormous 79% of the Keston owners said they had experienced problems with their boiler within four years of purchase; while just 47% thought they had made the right choice. Steer clear.

Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 6th Jan 2015

when you get this, i think it is time to replace the boiler.

mutley1

when you get this, i think it is time to replace the boiler.

Why oO
would u replace a boiler if the repair part maybe be less than £2.

screwfix.com/p/f…297

or if its just needs tightening then it would be free.

kash2013

Why oO would u replace a boiler if the repair part maybe be less than £2. … Why oO would u replace a boiler if the repair part maybe be less than £2. http://www.screwfix.com/p/fibre-washers-for-flexible-tap-connectors-pack-of-20/93297or if its just needs tightening then it would be free.

boilers don't tend to leak until they have something seriously wrong with them. i have had several combi boilers and whenever they start to leak it always mean something serious has broken in one of the components. it has never been a simple pipe leak.

this happened to mine, just tightened it job done.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Switch from BT to BT same property different person513
    2. How to remove bar at bottom of screen on ios 11.0.311
    3. Driving anxiety.3050
    4. Invisalign dental braces in London34

See more discussions