Groups

Water Meter Charges Survey

Ok I have real concerns that i'm paying well over the odds for my water. I've just received our latest annual statement and they have bumped my monthly charge up to £47 from £39. We live in a 4 bed detached house and there are just 2 of us (Little fella on the way in feb). I did a quick servey with a collegaue who also lives in a 4 bed detached and pays £16 a month. I'm interested to know what fellow HUKD members are paying for there metered water.

17 Comments

roughly £27 per month 4 bed detached chalet bungalow, - dishwasher, 4 showeres 4 toilets, 3 pople living at home

£8 a month... 3 bedrooms just the two of us...

£47 a month? Is there a swimming pool in your back garden?

You cant go on the monthly charge, it may well be your last bill was estimatded and its been bumped up to pay for the shortfall, your friend may be in credit hence the low payment.

You need to work how may units you are using

£5-6 per month 3 bed flat, livng on my own, 2 loads of washing a week and 1 shower a day (1 at work BTW - not a smelly goit). Considering this was £180 a year or something on rates I think water meters are great

Banned

deanos;6450406

You cant go on the monthly charge, it may well be your last bill was … You cant go on the monthly charge, it may well be your last bill was estimatded and its been bumped up to pay for the shortfall, your friend may be in credit hence the low payment.You need to work how may units you are using

what deanos said ^^^^ Unless you mean you are not on a meter, if that is the case then you only pay for i think 8 months of the year, i pay £40 for mine, non metered

none of you live in the south west then judging by those water meter readings

i have a 2 bed house, my water meter is charged every 3 months, my water meter readings are on average £200 per 1/4.

there is normally only 1 adult and 1 child in the house as i work shifts

I pay £45 a month - 3 bed terrace - I suppose this is down to the amount we use the bath & shower and do washing :thumbsup:

Original Poster

The bill was based upon an actual reading. My neighbour 2 doors down is paying £100 a month for 3 people. We don't have a combi boiler (think its a cylinder) and the bizare thing is that we have the water on a timer for 2 hours in the morning before we get up yet after only 2 showres lasting in total no more than 15mins the water is almost cold again. The pressure in the shower is really strong so it could be that is why we appear to be using so much water.

Yes the bill was based on a reading, but were any of the previous bills estimated ?

You need to look at previous bills to see if you were in credit or debit, and you need to see hoe may units you are using, not the monthly cost as this just confuses matters

Banned

£28 per month - 3 bed detached, Sussex, daily dishwasher & washing machine, 2 power showers up to 30 mins each!

I just applied for one of these free water saving gadgets, thought its worth a go

greenconsumerguide.com/sho…php

Its surprising how much a powered shower can get through!

Banned

Max Cady;6451319

I just applied for one of these free water saving gadgets, thought its … I just applied for one of these free water saving gadgets, thought its worth a go http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/showersmart.phpIts surprising how much a powered shower can get through!

they're useless and not for use in a power shower anyway unless you want to burn out the motor

csiman;6453344

they're useless and not for use in a power shower anyway unless you want … they're useless and not for use in a power shower anyway unless you want to burn out the motor

Please explain?

Banned

Max Cady;6484873

Please explain?

Is the eaga ShowerSmart suitable for your shower?
    There's a very definite possibility. The eaga ShowerSmart is suitable for use with non-electric mixer showers or bath/shower mixer taps, provided they run off the mains water pressure. Unfortunately, it isn't suitable for electric or multi-jet showers, so please don't try and fit one to them!

Banned

Max Cady;6484873

Please explain?

all these do is slim down the width of the pipe so water flow is restricted. No point of having a pump trying to force water through a restricted pipe

I challenged my water company a few months back.

I was paying around £60 p/month for the last 4 years, got an engineer out who told us we were being charged for next doors meter !

Got nearly a grand back in charges

csiman;6485158

All these do is slim down the width of the pipe so water flow is … All these do is slim down the width of the pipe so water flow is restricted. No point of having a pump trying to force water through a restricted pipe

Ah I see, I thought it somehow aerated the waterflow giving the impression of the same volume of water a bit like a kitchen tap.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31154
      2. Weekly game codes giveaway 182722
      3. Find out how good your GP surgery is1010
      4. Did you know?2951

See more discussions