Expired

Water meter faulty

Found 26th Oct 2014
My dad received a letter from Thames Water to state that they have found that his water meter is faulty and so they have charged him an extra £78 to cover the under estimate.

Looking at the bills he has kept from 1.5 years ago, the meter readings have been estimated over that span and it may well have been estimated before that.

What is the law on getting money back from consumers beyond 1 year? I know they can't do this for gas and electric but does this apply to water?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

This might not be a good idea unless you know for certain that his usage has been OVER-estimated over the past couple of years. As for getting the money back, as long as he can prove the meter readings and then subsequent payments amount to more than the charges then there should be no problem getting the money back.

That's an iffy one. How do they know that the meter was faulty from a specific date? If it is truly a fault it could have happened yesterday or last year who is to say, The fault could be progressive in the way it was measuring i.e.last year 1% getting worse to 10%.

I think you'll find the problem was that it wasn't calibrated properly.

Anyway what ever the reason I would be asking them questions as to the nature of the fault and how they know the know when it went faulty.

Im not sure bout other companies but some elec and gas companies follow the Billing Code of Practice as set out by Energy UK. This states that any unbilled usage over 12 months old gets wiped.

Google and see if Thames Water has a billing code of practice that they follow then read what it says

Just read the Code of practice ... it doesn't say anything about following a billing code of practice ... they do however follow Ofwat guidelines ... who is the industry regulator ... you may wish to speak to them first

Ofwat can be contacted at:
Centre City Tower
7 Hill Street
Birmingham
B5 4UA
Telephone: 0121 644 7500

Oh forget it. .. found it ... ofwat.gov.uk/con…ll/

Direct from Ofwat website:

'Sometimes water companies find it difficult to find out who is responsible for a bill, and it can be some time before they send out a bill, particularly if you have moved house. Bad debts in the water sector cost everyone money and companies will make every effort to ensure that bills are paid. This means that even if you have not had a water bill for some time you will still owe the water company money for the services you have received.

Companies can ask you up to six years of unpaid water and sewerage charges. However, this will depend on the circumstances of your case. Your company should also offer you a reasonable repayment plan to allow you to spread repayments.'

Basically a water company can back bill you up to 6 years ago

Original Poster

krazyasif786

Basically a water company can back bill you up to 6 years ago

thanks for clarifying this.

Original Poster

Argoj

That's an iffy one. How do they know that the meter was faulty from a … That's an iffy one. How do they know that the meter was faulty from a specific date? If it is truly a fault it could have happened yesterday or last year who is to say, The fault could be progressive in the way it was measuring i.e.last year 1% getting worse to 10%. I think you'll find the problem was that it wasn't calibrated properly. Anyway what ever the reason I would be asking them questions as to the nature of the fault and how they know the know when it went faulty.

i will ask them this as their letter just states that they have found the meter faulty and have estimated what the reading should be based on last month's use since they put the new meter in at the beginning of september. guess it depends on whether september was a typical month of use for my dad.

TBH you should be happy it's not more than £78 if they are going back a few years. That's not bad.

Original Poster

krazyasif786

TBH you should be happy it's not more than £78 if they are going back a … TBH you should be happy it's not more than £78 if they are going back a few years. That's not bad.

Yes. I guess I would have to agree.

Yes they can back date six years, but, the fault for this lays solely with the water company. Using my arguments previously I would be on the phone and asking some awkward questions. They are using an estimate to provide a bill (for over a years usage) on the basis of one months readings. Tell them it was a hot month so he had to have the sprinkler on night and day to water his pear trees just as the fruit were ripening.
What are they going to say? Well we must of over estimated your bill then here's £500 to cover what you've over paid. Of course they won't, so why should you?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants