Water softener recommendations?!

Found 25th Jun
I've had two water softener quotes. Both about £1,650 for my five bed house. We live in a very hard water area and I'm keen to get one.

This seems like a huge amount of money. Any unbiased plumbers out there who can advise? I've read mixed views of single/twin tank systems. Some say twin tank is a rip off waste of time.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Another con-merchant industry like Double Glazing

Lots of research available on Google.

The cost of the softener you can benchmark on
Screwfix screwfix.com/c/h…636
Wickes wickes.co.uk/Pro…000

Looks like £500 buys a decent one.

Bedrooms is not a good guide unless you are a salesman driving up to a big property. How many people use how much water is the equation. If its 2 of you and showering is your daily wash then its less than people taking baths.

Fitting it is unlikely to be more than a 1/2 a days work even if you stretch the time out. So call that 1 day for one person on tip top rate of £200pd MAX. The reality is they will be using handy-man types on max £50pd cost.

You will also need a direct cold water feed tap in the kitchen. If the softner is going in a kitchen cupboard, this will probably add 15 minutes onto the time to plumb the unit in.

Running costs will probably be even moreimportant. Can you buy any salt or does it have to be their own special preparation ( just plain salt marked up as expensive)
Edited by: "ccnp" 25th Jun
Monarch Midi are excellent units. £500 gets you a high flow one. 7 year warranty on the parts, 2 on the labour. Takes cheap salt, doses based on the water you use.

Expect to pay a decent plumber ~£150 to fit including parts (it comes with all the connections to the unit already).
I'm looking to update my water softener which uses salt. Can someone suggest a softener that doesn't use salt
summerof762 h, 9 m ago

I'm looking to update my water softener which uses salt. Can someone …I'm looking to update my water softener which uses salt. Can someone suggest a softener that doesn't use salt

You can get ones which you wrap around the pipe and it uses electrical currents to soften your water but they do not get good reviews. I think the water softners which use salt at the best
Thanks everyone.
themorgatron9 h, 1 m ago

Monarch Midi are excellent units. £500 gets you a high flow one. 7 year …Monarch Midi are excellent units. £500 gets you a high flow one. 7 year warranty on the parts, 2 on the labour. Takes cheap salt, doses based on the water you use.Expect to pay a decent plumber ~£150 to fit including parts (it comes with all the connections to the unit already).

Thanks. My dad suggested the same one. I could probably fit it myself but waste is a problem as it's in the utility with no outside wall for overflow. I like the fact it can use cheap salt. Any with proprietary salt is a rip for sure.
The magnetic wrap arounds are next to useless.
The electric wrap arounds have some effect, but diminishing on tanked water - there are some kit / pre-assembled ones that are quite cheap.

ebay.co.uk/itm…327
This one even shows the circuit diagram, common non-exotic components.
brooky_agn7 h, 51 m ago

Thanks. My dad suggested the same one. I could probably fit it myself but …Thanks. My dad suggested the same one. I could probably fit it myself but waste is a problem as it's in the utility with no outside wall for overflow. I like the fact it can use cheap salt. Any with proprietary salt is a rip for sure.

No sure if I'm understanding you, but if the waste is there for a utility, you can run the overflow into this via a tundish.
I like the idea of the Monarch Midi but I just don't think it will fit. It's a 600mm cupboard with a 150mm cupboard to the left of it. Boooooo. Looks like I'm going to have to pay Kinetico £1700.34145329-arqwU.jpg
niffer119 h, 34 m ago

You can get ones which you wrap around the pipe and it uses electrical …You can get ones which you wrap around the pipe and it uses electrical currents to soften your water but they do not get good reviews. I think the water softners which use salt at the best

I already have a water softener that uses salt but want to change it to a one without using salt.
summerof7618 m ago

I already have a water softener that uses salt but want to change it to a …I already have a water softener that uses salt but want to change it to a one without using salt.

I think you are best off using the salt one. Electric pipe magnet ones are junk.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants