Groups

Water spilled on laptop?

4 days ago my laptop took a full glass of water...everything works fine except the keyboard where only about 3 keys work! Is their anything i can do to fix it? By now the water will of left the laptop?

9 Comments

Do you not have accidental damage cover on your home insurance?

Original Poster

livingthelife07;8962336

Do you not have accidental damage cover on your home insurance?

I don't have any insurance, im a student in rented accom.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8962357

Whole laptop will fail at some point in the next few months possibly … Whole laptop will fail at some point in the next few months possibly anyway if you didn't turn it off straight away and leave it in an airing cupboard or similar for 24 hours.How is that an excuse?

I did turn it off and leave it for 24 hours. So the problem is now that the majority of keys on the keyboard don't work, any fix? Oh it's just i wouldn't see the point as the excess would probs be the price of the laptop? lol

dcx_badass;8962357

Whole laptop will fail at some point in the next few months possibly … Whole laptop will fail at some point in the next few months possibly anyway if you didn't turn it off straight away and leave it in an airing cupboard or similar for 24 hours.How is that an excuse?

He wasnt looking for a lecture on insurance !!, just some advice on laptop getting wet :roll:

there's probably still water under the keys, you'll need to dry it out for longer.
    You've probably got compartments on the underside or sides where the battery, hard drive and memory sits, if you remove just the covers, that should assist the drying process. Also leave the laptop screen 'up' to allow more air flow.

Banned

Should have immediately disconnected power and battery, taken apart as much as possible then leave to dry in a warm place if possible for a week.

If you are savvy enough you can remove the keyboard to help speed up the drying. I would remove the battery, RAM and HDD from it as well.

pandy10;8962395

I did turn it off and leave it for 24 hours. So the problem is now that … I did turn it off and leave it for 24 hours. So the problem is now that the majority of keys on the keyboard don't work, any fix? Oh it's just i wouldn't see the point as the excess would probs be the price of the laptop? lol

Remove the keyboard and submerge everything (laptop + keyboard) in a tub of rice (you should have done this as soon as it happened), the rice will absorb any remaining water!

It's likely the keyboard is beyond repair as it will have been shorted by the water, if it's not already fully dried out I doubt it will be any better when it is.

What make and model is it? For some machines it's reasonably easy and cheap to pick up a new keyboard, a friend spilt wine on her laptop and had initially asked me what replacement machine to go for. I had said I'd look at the machine but when she mentioned the wine was pouring out the vents at the back I was less optimistic however a new keyboard from eBay for £16 (machine was a Dell 1545) and it's been fine ever since.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheap northface alternatives?22
      2. grown ups go free kellogs22
      3. Led light bulbs. Never used them, what do I need to know?711
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?35

See more discussions