Water Stop Valve Help

Posted 27th May 2023
Hi,

I am trying to replace the outdoor tap in the back garden.
I have located the stop valve under the sink, but althugh this stops the water in the majority of the house, it does not stop the water in the back garden. I think this maybe a seperate water pipe, as it is near to an extension which has been built.
I have located what I think is a second stop valve in the extension (see pic). The only problem it is very difficult to turn. The ony ay I can get it to move slighty is by hitting one side of it with a hammer.

Before I do any damage, is there any other way I can turn the water supply off?
Also, does this defo look like a stop valve?
Besides hitting it with a hammer, is there any ther way to loosen it?

Many Thanks

4141691-45V8s.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Nicebob
    Ive worked on a live water pipe by using a pipe freezing kit, just before the area you have to work on you use a freeze spray on the pipe, this gives you a few minutes to get the job done before the water flows again. I was sceptical but it actually worked.
    mutley1
    Spray WD40 on it and leave it for few hours. I find with the seized stopcock, WD40 doesn't always work. Then it is time to call a plumber. But don't hit it with a hammer. You are going to end up with a flood and will have to pay an emergency plumber!
    allsa001 Author
    Yep that was my worry.
    Timbonagasaki
    It's a bit late now, but if you are on a water meter there is usually a stop tap next to it.
    MicroManaged
    There should be a mains one in footpath outside property you can switch off.
    allsa001 Author
    Thank you for the quick response.
    I can't seem to locate one outside.
    allsa001 Author
    All of that was in vain anyways, as that turned off one of the taps in the downstairs bathroom, but not the outside tap. Think I will just give up on it lol
    M4tt31
    It's worth checking in the downstairs bathroom for the main stop cock, that's where ours is in boxed off section behind the toilet. (edited)
    allsa001 Author
    I have managed to put the new tap on, whilst the water was coming out.
    There is a very very slight leak, as the PFTE tape was so difficult to apply as the water was coming out.

I'll leave it like that for today, as it menas I can carry on with the gardeining jobs, whilst the weather is nice.
    Mr.Plow
    Haha was actually going to suggest as a last resort just do that, I can just imagine you frantically screwing the tap in whilst being sprayed with water, fortunately it's really hot weather so it'll be quite refreshing
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants