Water system in house

Posted 17th Sep
Has anyone experienced reduced water when multiple taps are running. When I have kitchen tap running, I get reduced water in loft and when I have taps in kitchen and in middle flow running I get no water in loft toilet. Anyway to fix this so I get equal water throughout the house?
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
use valves to reduce the maximum flow rate. it will take a bit of tuning

ot install a pump
A pump will help
Turning the 'tap' in the road outside your house should increase the flow, but you need a special tool to do it.
JimboParrot17/09/2019 08:59

Turning the 'tap' in the road outside your house should increase the flow, …Turning the 'tap' in the road outside your house should increase the flow, but you need a special tool to do it.

Although these can often be stuck and I promise you, would not want to break it - seen it happen
joyf453617/09/2019 09:12

Although these can often be stuck and I promise you, would not want to …Although these can often be stuck and I promise you, would not want to break it - seen it happen

Agreed its like seeing the fire hydrants in the US being opened.

OP a pump will help but they can be noisy depending on type and positioning, try opening up your own mains a little, should be below your kitchen sink somewhere, do it a little at a time. Is your hot water doign the same?
Edited by: "Donkii" 17th Sep
I guess most houses have a difference in water pressure between upstairs and down and in the case of a shower upstairs coming off the rising main it could end up scalding someone - one way of avoiding this is ensuring the cold feed comes from a header tank.

We have some small differences in water pressure in our house but not so bad that it concerns me in any way - no real inconveniance at all - we just live with it.
Has it always been this way?
eslick17/09/2019 11:59

Has it always been this way?

Yes, the water comes fine if only 1 tap is running.
Donkii17/09/2019 09:18

Agreed its like seeing the fire hydrants in the US being opened. OP a pump …Agreed its like seeing the fire hydrants in the US being opened. OP a pump will help but they can be noisy depending on type and positioning, try opening up your own mains a little, should be below your kitchen sink somewhere, do it a little at a time. Is your hot water doign the same?

Will take a look and yes, hot water is same. I was thinking maybe my water system is old and priorities water to lower ground. If this is a thing, is there any system that does not do this?
adamey1917/09/2019 12:24

Will take a look and yes, hot water is same. I was thinking maybe my water …Will take a look and yes, hot water is same. I was thinking maybe my water system is old and priorities water to lower ground. If this is a thing, is there any system that does not do this?

Our house is the same, turning the flow from the mains helped with the cold water a lot but not the hot water, not really a big deal for us as the only upstairs water is in our ensuite, were in a converted bungalow.
In a traditional system, the lavatories are the tap in the ketchen sink are all fed from the mains, All the other cold water taps run from the cold water tank in the loft, so naturally taps higher in the house get less pressure. You could try raising the cold water tank but it needs to be very well supported.
If you've actually got a lavatory in your loft, that should be connected to the mains suppy. It sounds as if it is connected to the cold water tank!
Surprisingly I don't have anything up in loft, I was 1 water tank down stairs but that stores hot water I think.
Presumably, the cold water storage tank in the loft was taken out when the loft was converted.

If there's not room or sufficient height for a tank, I think the other option is a booster pump with a small pressure vessel on the mains supply. Will likely be a bit noisy though.

stuart-turner.co.uk/our…ate
Edited by: "melted" 17th Sep
adamey1917/09/2019 12:21

Yes, the water comes fine if only 1 tap is running.

No sorry has the water always came out this way or has it just started to happen
eslick17/09/2019 16:30

No sorry has the water always came out this way or has it just started to …No sorry has the water always came out this way or has it just started to happen

Its always been like that since we moved in at least but having said this, we also experience same thing in previous place we were in.
Make sure the stop tap in your house is fully open, this is normally located under your kitchen sink.
adamey1917/09/2019 16:32

Its always been like that since we moved in at least but having said this, …Its always been like that since we moved in at least but having said this, we also experience same thing in previous place we were in.

As @SOUTHWALES said make sure the stop cock is fully open, you could also check the one to your property, if it had just started it could have been another issue but most probably just low pressure. Ask neighbours if they have the same issue, could be worth a call to the water company for them to check could be a long term leak.
You need to measure the standing and working pressure, along with flow rates.

The water board will also come out and do this free of charge at the stop cock in the road.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants