Waterloo

Found 2nd Dec 2017
in 1974 Abba won the Eurovision song contest with the song Waterloo. The opening line goes thusly:

My my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender.

As we all know Napoleon did not surrender at the Battle of Waterloo so this is a lie. I propose that Abba's entry should be retrospectively withdrawn from the competition and any Abba related movies deleted.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

Yes, apparently the original use of the word 'at', was to describe a form of head wear and had the letter 'h' added some years later so as not to be confused with any latter day ABBA songs.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 2nd Dec 2017
22 Comments

Original Poster

Apparently this topic is considered too subversive and requires moderator approval before being unleashed on the delicate HUKD audience.

OK he didn't " surrender" - but legged it from the Battlefield , which in those days was the same thing .

Original Poster

rogparki24 m ago

OK he didn't " surrender" - but legged it from the Battlefield , which in …OK he didn't " surrender" - but legged it from the Battlefield , which in those days was the same thing .

He actually surrendered 25 days after the battle in a letter to George IV who was the prince regent at the time. He would have been unable to do so if he'd surrendered at the battle but as it was he fled instead.

"At" is the key word in this song, battle was in June, he had surrender in July. So it was "at" the time of the "Battle of Waterloo".

Original Poster

splender18 m ago

"At" is the key word in this song, battle was in June, he had surrender in …"At" is the key word in this song, battle was in June, he had surrender in July. So it was "at" the time of the "Battle of Waterloo".

July is after June is it not?

Original Poster

rogparki1 h, 8 m ago

OK he didn't " surrender" - but legged it from the Battlefield , which in …OK he didn't " surrender" - but legged it from the Battlefield , which in those days was the same thing .

This is a fair point as the word s derived from late Middle English surrendren, Anglo-French surrender, Old French surrendre - to give up. I cannot confirm whether or not it still had this meaning 350 or so years later but I'm happy to concede the point on goodwill.

However the lyrics clearly say at Waterloo and the battle wasn't fought at Waterloo, but rather the villages of Braine-l’Alleud and Plancenoit along the Mont Saint Jean Ridge. Does anyone know if the word at has changed meaning over the last 200 or so years?
Edited by: "bryanhaines399" 2nd Dec 2017

Yes, apparently the original use of the word 'at', was to describe a form of head wear and had the letter 'h' added some years later so as not to be confused with any latter day ABBA songs.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 2nd Dec 2017

Dyslexic_Dog41 m ago

apparently the original use of the word 'at', was to describe a form of …apparently the original use of the word 'at', was to describe a form of head wear

Original Poster

Dyslexic_Dog1 h, 37 m ago

Yes, apparently the original use of the word 'at', was to describe a form …Yes, apparently the original use of the word 'at', was to describe a form of head wear and had the letter 'h' added some years later so as not to be confused with any latter day ABBA songs.

Aren't you thinking of the h(ead) a(nd) t(ache) warmer made popular during the French march on Moscow?

32632614-Oc62C.jpg

bryanhaines3995 h, 3 m ago

July is after June is it not?

Yes, July is after June. And then what ?

Original Poster

splender15 m ago

I don't see how July is "at the time of" June. It's a month after June. Anyway, we've moved on from the when to the where.

Original Poster

splender16 m ago

Oh wait sorry, I see what you're asking now.

And then August.

Yeah, good point.

bryanhaines3997 h, 28 m ago

I don't see how July is "at the time of" June. It's a month after June. …I don't see how July is "at the time of" June. It's a month after June. Anyway, we've moved on from the when to the where.

bryanhaines3997 h, 27 m ago

Oh wait sorry, I see what you're asking now.And then August.

I read that Battle of (At) Waterloo was in June, Napoleon wrote the surrender letter in July. So a song lyric could simply say At Waterloo which could mean at a physical location as well as at the time of an event (or simply at an event which is Waterloo); whose meaning then joins to "Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way". An interpretation may be that one's destiny is the outcome of an earlier cause (at an event). Whence it is July's outcome was the cause of June's event.
Edited by: "splender" 3rd Dec 2017

in 1974 Abba won the Eurovision song contest with the song Waterloo

Thanks a lot for spoiling the result for the rest of use
Next time, please use a spoiler alert. God dman it.

Prince sang "This is what it sounds like when doves cry”
Doves don't cry they only coo.

Original Poster

Derek_Horatio_Shatwell2 h, 11 m ago

in 1974 Abba won the Eurovision song contest with the song WaterlooThanks … in 1974 Abba won the Eurovision song contest with the song WaterlooThanks a lot for spoiling the result for the rest of use Next time, please use a spoiler alert. God dman it.

I apologise for only considering my own needs.

bryanhaines39927 m ago

I apologise for only considering my own needs.

You're forgiven
But no threads about who came second, for best band at the 1992 MTV Music Awards, please

Original Poster

Derek_Horatio_Shatwell8 m ago

You're forgiven But no threads about who came second, for best band at …You're forgiven But no threads about who came second, for best band at the 1992 MTV Music Awards, please

Not a fan of Blur, eh? Say no more, sir.

bryanhaines39914 m ago

Not a fan of Blur, eh? Say no more, sir.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Mods please ban this person, thanks

Derek_Horatio_Shatwell5 m ago

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Mods please ban this person, thanks

Reported for requesting a ban on another member.

Joey.Bloggsy1 h, 59 m ago

Reported for requesting a ban on another member.

Reported you for reporting me x2
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions