Waterproofing clothing - Sprays, liquids or potions advice

Posted 5th FebEdited by:"TopTrump"
I've got a waterproof 3/4 length coat which when new, beaded water really well, but it's no longer effective in keeping out the rain.
I've tried applying 3M's Scotchgard Water Repellent Outdoor Fabric Protector but I didn't get any noteworthy improvement. So a browse on Amazon and I've narrowed down what else is available to waterproof textiles.

Fabsil Aerosol Spray on Proofer
Nikwax Tech Wash + TX Direct Wash-In - Double Pack
Nikwax Tx. Direct Spray On Spray On Waterproofer
Nikwax Softshell Proof Wash In Waterproofer

Does anybody have any recommendations or horry stories of products to avoid.

Whilst dropping off items at the dry cleaners I requested they waterproof the garment in question after they've cleaned it. He said they can do it, but they'd just use a spray, and that I might as well do it myself to save money (which after the research sounds a little like, you won't be happy with the results of just spraying on a treatment, so if you do it yourself, you won't be able to blame us).

Any pointers, gratefully accepted.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
What kind of coat are you trying to waterproof and what material is it made from?
Haircut_10005/02/2020 10:17

What kind of coat are you trying to waterproof and what material is it …What kind of coat are you trying to waterproof and what material is it made from?

It's a cotton 3/4 length fashion raincoat with a woolen lining.
They will mostly be silicone based sprays.
Fabsil 750ml lay it out, do the seams, hems, cuffs then the shoulders & any points prone to abrasion, a can does me a backpack top up & a pair or two of clean snow gloves. might want to do it in 2 halves or spray twice (shake can well several times during use).
TopTrump05/02/2020 10:18

It's a cotton 3/4 length fashion raincoat with a woolen lining.

That might not be the best item to waterproof with a wash in liquid, especially with it's wool lining. Would you consider waxing it instead? If you did want to go for a spray then maybe the Nikwax Direct Spray, though I think it's designed more for technical clothing made from synthetics.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 5th Feb
Haircut_10005/02/2020 10:21

That might not be the best item to waterproof with a wash in liquid or …That might not be the best item to waterproof with a wash in liquid or spray, especially with it's wool lining. Would you consider waxing it instead?

I figured the washing would upset the wool.

Waxing - not really thought about it. As I've got the impression it's more suitable for your very traditional Macintosh raincoat, which this isn't.

Have you used Nikwax's products? Are they prosumer or just advertising fluff?
Edited by: "TopTrump" 5th Feb
Haircut_10005/02/2020 10:21

That might not be the best item to waterproof with a wash in liquid, …That might not be the best item to waterproof with a wash in liquid, especially with it's wool lining. Would you consider waxing it instead? If you did want to go for a spray then maybe the Nikwax Direct Spray, though I think it's designed more for technical clothing made from synthetics.

Mr_Gus05/02/2020 10:19

They will mostly be silicone based sprays.Fabsil 750ml lay it out, do the …They will mostly be silicone based sprays.Fabsil 750ml lay it out, do the seams, hems, cuffs then the shoulders & any points prone to abrasion, a can does me a backpack top up & a pair or two of clean snow gloves. might want to do it in 2 halves or spray twice (shake can well several times during use).

Thanks. Seems Fabsil and Nikwak direct spray are the front runners.
Will need to do more research on the fabric suitability of each.
TopTrump05/02/2020 10:24

I figured the washing would upset the wool.Waxing - not really thought …I figured the washing would upset the wool.Waxing - not really thought about it. As I've got the impression it's more suitable for your very traditional Macintosh raincoat, which this isn't.Have you used Nikwax's products? Are they prosumer or just advertising fluff?

I've used various Nikwax products over the years on all manner of technical outdoor clothing, both nylon rain jackets and padded down jackets. They are excellent products and always very highly recommended, the outdoor clothing brands themselves (such as Paramo and Montane) use Nikwax products to waterproof their own items so that tells you all you need to know.

As for waxing think of the waxed barbour jackets, in particular the sylkoil ones, it's definitely suitable for your raincoat. I recently reproofed my daughter's waxed Barbour jacket which had years of grime on it and looked faded. Twenty minutes later with a can of Barbour Thornproof Wax and a hot air gun and it looked like new, I was astonished at how good it came out. I'd definitely consider waxing it if I were you. It should look pretty good.

39839873-6s1tF.jpg
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 5th Feb
Haircut_10005/02/2020 10:33

I've used various Nikwax products over the years on all manner of …I've used various Nikwax products over the years on all manner of technical outdoor clothing, both nylon rain jackets and padded down jackets. They are excellent products and always very highly recommended, the outdoor clothing brands themselves (such as Paramo and Montane) use Nikwax products to waterproof their own items so that tells you all you need to know. As for waxing think of the waxed barbour jackets, in particular the sylkoil ones, it's definitely suitable for your raincoat. I recently reproofed my daughter's waxed Barbour jacket which had years of grime on it and looked faded. Twenty minutes later with a can of Barbour Thornproof Wax and a hot air gun and it looked like new, I was astonished at how good it came out. I'd definitely consider waxing it if I were you.

Will look into it.
Thank you

39839906-b4rbg.jpg
what does the manufacturer say?
Mr_Gus05/02/2020 10:42

what does the manufacturer say?

Apart from stitching in a "Waterproof" label, not much.
Don't have the jacket with me and if I contact Boss I'm sure the first thing they'll ask is, what's the model/type of jacket.

Looks like I need to get it back from cleaners first, then do some Columbo work.
M'be have a look in a Millets if you have one local.
chrisjackson05/02/2020 17:28

M'be have a look in a Millets if you have one local.

Now you've mentioned Millets, there's a new Decathlon store opened up nearby.
Going to try this stuff
decathlon.co.uk/wat…tml

For £4, get a couple of cans and see what happens.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants