Expired

WaterSure - capped water meter charges for some - save £100's a year

Found 28th Sep 2011
Not sure whether this is a deal or miscellaneous but hopefully helps someone out if they dont know about it and qualify.

---------------------------

The WaterSure scheme is available for certain customers with a water meter. It allows them to have their bills capped. This is to make sure that these customers don’t cut back on how much water they use because they are worried about how they will pay their bill.

To qualify for help under the WaterSure scheme, you or someone living with you, needs be entitled to receive one of the following:

council tax benefit
housing benefit
Income Support
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Working Tax Credit
Child Tax Credit (except families in receipt of the family element only)
Pension Credit
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
In addition, you need to either:

be responsible for three or more children under the age of 19 and in full-time education living in the property, or
have (or someone living in the property must have) a medical condition which requires significant additional use of water. Examples of medical conditions include weeping skin diseases (such as psoriasis), Chrohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis.
If you qualify for WaterSure, you will pay no more than the average household bill for your company, even if you use more than the average amount of water.

You will not qualify for WaterSure if you use a garden sprinkler system or have a swimming pool.

If you think you are eligible for WaterSure, you will need to apply through your water company.

--------------------

I qualify because I have 3 children under 19 and am in full time employment but get one of the child related credits, am with Severn Trent and have mine capped at around £25 a month which is better than I would pay normally on a meter which would be around £40 per month, saving £180 a year.

I didnt know this scheme existed, and my wife caled the water company and asked how we could get our bills down. They took details and told us about this. Might be worth calling your water company too.

Hope it helps.
Community Updates
Misc
17 Comments
thanks for the info will help a friend
Edited by: "q44q" 28th Sep 2011
This really winds me up. Me and my partner work and have one child and we pay £65 a month. Our next door neighbours have FIVE kids and will definitely use a hell of a lot more water than us and will only pay around what you are paying. I have phoned the water company (quite some time ago now) to complain about this and they wont help. It just seems in this life (in this country!) the government is willing to help you if you pop out as many kids as possible and live on the dole. IM SICK OF PAYING EXTRA FOR SPONGERS!

Thanks, feels better now Ive had a rant. (_;)
Edited by: "hellbentondeals" 28th Sep 2011
hellbentondeals

This really winds me up. Me and my partner work and have one child and we … This really winds me up. Me and my partner work and have one child and we pay £65 a month. Our next door neighbours have FIVE kids and will definitely use a hell of a lot more water than us and will only pay around what you are paying. I have phoned the water company (quite some time ago now) to complain about this and they wont help. It just seems in this life (in this country!) the government is willing to help you if you pop out as many kids as possible and live on the dole. IM SICK OF PAYING EXTRA FOR SPONGERS! Thanks, feels better now Ive had a rant. (_;)

Do you know, I know how you feel to everything else. But out of all the Benefits and credits out there this is the only thing me and my husbans can claim as we both go out to work. So this one I am not putting a downer on. We capped our water last year at £228 a year. We have 3 kids but husband also suffers excema so would of got it anyways.

We have 3 kids, both work, between us we dont have 1 day together, But we are not spongers either. This just helps us
hellbentondeals

This really winds me up. Me and my partner work and have one child and we … This really winds me up. Me and my partner work and have one child and we pay £65 a month. Our next door neighbours have FIVE kids and will definitely use a hell of a lot more water than us and will only pay around what you are paying. I have phoned the water company (quite some time ago now) to complain about this and they wont help. It just seems in this life (in this country!) the government is willing to help you if you pop out as many kids as possible and live on the dole. IM SICK OF PAYING EXTRA FOR SPONGERS! Thanks, feels better now Ive had a rant. (_;)

£65 per month for water? What on earth do you do with it?
beth3735

Do you know, I know how you feel to everything else. But out of all the … Do you know, I know how you feel to everything else. But out of all the Benefits and credits out there this is the only thing me and my husbans can claim as we both go out to work. So this one I am not putting a downer on. We capped our water last year at £228 a year. We have 3 kids but husband also suffers excema so would of got it anyways.We have 3 kids, both work, between us we dont have 1 day together, But we are not spongers either. This just helps us

apologies in advance, im not havign a dig here, but would your husband having eczema have got you capped water rates?

that sounds riddiculous if true lol
joeprosho

apologies in advance, im not havign a dig here, but would your husband … apologies in advance, im not havign a dig here, but would your husband having eczema have got you capped water rates? that sounds riddiculous if true lol

Yes, it is ridiculous too which is why we never capped them before hand. But as we have the 3 kids we did it. I think its daft to cap them on an adult who suffers.
lol at ur end sentence, should i pressume you think it should be offered out of pity? (im only winding you up with that comment) i get your point and i dont mean riddiculous as in im **** off, i mean riddiculous in what kind of sense does it make?

he has eczema, so he gets capped water rates?? i dont understand the logic..

it makes as much sense to me as all the universities who give away riddiculous technology to people with dyslexia, if a person is dyslexic or can fake it at uni, then they can go get a free MBP from uni?! i had a mate who got a free 40" sony tv because he was dyslexic and was going to use it as a large screen monitor oO

i jsut do not find these things rational which is why i use the word riddiculous...

i am not apposed to benefits and caps and such i think they have there place they are jsut **** poorly regulated
beth3735

Do you know, I know how you feel to everything else. But out of all the … Do you know, I know how you feel to everything else. But out of all the Benefits and credits out there this is the only thing me and my husbans can claim as we both go out to work. So this one I am not putting a downer on. We capped our water last year at £228 a year. We have 3 kids but husband also suffers excema so would of got it anyways.We have 3 kids, both work, between us we dont have 1 day together, But we are not spongers either. This just helps us

Of course I dont mean everybody who claims this are spongers, but there are people who take advantage of things like this that are already sponging money from the 'dole'.
sancho1983

Its classified.:|
We haven't got them capped due to his Ezceme, Its capped because of our 3 kids. I don't understand the logic of the ezceme either as they would bath/shower just as often as people without the condition. i.e daily or twice a day depending on Job or fitness.

hellbentondeals

£65 is stupid a month for water, I was paying £35 unmetered and now the meter is in it's less than £15 a month. We don't watch what we use and use baths daily (I hate showers). 2 adults one child.
Thought our water rates at £183 a year was expensive, maybe i should count my blessings. We live in Manchester.
Mod & Ed
sancho1983

^^^ When I lived in Cornwall / Devon and paid the lovely SWW for my water I was paying over £90 a month unmetered on a band C property, now I live in a band D in County Durham and pay on a meter £33 per month and I'm in credit ( thats with 3 adults and 2 babies ), always said SWW is a complete rip off, I know people in 1 bed flats in Cornwall paying £50 + a month on a meter just for normal use.
I didnt realise water rates varied so much, we're with United Utilities.
wishihadadonkey

^^^ When I lived in Cornwall / Devon and paid the lovely SWW for my water … ^^^ When I lived in Cornwall / Devon and paid the lovely SWW for my water I was paying over £90 a month unmetered on a band C property, now I live in a band D in County Durham and pay on a meter £33 per month and I'm in credit ( thats with 3 adults and 2 babies ), always said SWW is a complete rip off, I know people in 1 bed flats in Cornwall paying £50 + a month on a meter just for normal use.

Like pouring money down the drain...

We're on a meter and spend about £20 per month
Original Poster
aunty jane

Thought our water rates at £183 a year was expensive, maybe i should … Thought our water rates at £183 a year was expensive, maybe i should count my blessings. We live in Manchester.

Is living in Manchester a blessing? oO

Just kidding - family is from Manchester.
I think our bills each year still come to less than the capped. But we are happy to know it won't go over the annual £228
Mod & Ed
aunty jane

I didnt realise water rates varied so much, we're with United Utilities.

SWW if not the highest are very near the top for water charges, we pay for the tourist industry, keeping the beaches clean etc, yet the south west has some of the lowest wages in the country.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants