Posted 21st Dec 2021 (Posted 23 h, 25 m ago)
Hi - I’m after some advice and alternative to WD my cloud storage drive as the support is due to end in April and I’d rather not have another one of them, does anyone have any experience of these and alternative brands that have similar features?

Many thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
10 Comments
  1. Avatar
    So mycloud by WD that is expiring was a hard disk in an enclosure with networking capabilities and some bolt on features to be able to remotely manage provided by WD - bit naughty of them to be honest to state new OS and therefore dropping the product cloud feature to being a local device only.

WD's were considered the more rudimentary devices out there with others like synology and QNAP having a better reputation and features but also an bump in price.

However what is the real purpose of this storage. If making sure it is secure, resilient, accessible from anywhere then wouldn't using a real cloud provider would be the better way to go? Cost there depends on how much storage (or in amazon case how much you want to retrieve) that they charge for.
  2. Avatar
    Why does lack of support bother you? The existing operating system and drive should still function as normal
  3. Avatar
    Author
    Bertz9922/12/2021 00:04

So mycloud by WD that is expiring was a hard disk in an enclosure with …So mycloud by WD that is expiring was a hard disk in an enclosure with networking capabilities and some bolt on features to be able to remotely manage provided by WD - bit naughty of them to be honest to state new OS and therefore dropping the product cloud feature to being a local device only.WD's were considered the more rudimentary devices out there with others like synology and QNAP having a better reputation and features but also an bump in price.However what is the real purpose of this storage. If making sure it is secure, resilient, accessible from anywhere then wouldn't using a real cloud provider would be the better way to go? Cost there depends on how much storage (or in amazon case how much you want to retrieve) that they charge for.

Thank you. I’ll check out Synology and QNAP. Definitely want to steer away from WD now.

chocci22/12/2021 05:27

Why does lack of support bother you? The existing operating system and …Why does lack of support bother you? The existing operating system and drive should still function as normal

Yeah, I guess it’s still going to work as a local drive but the app will stop working and I won’t be able to access remotely which was the original purpose of it (for me anyway).
    Edited by: "supermonkey30" 10 h, 49 m ago
  4. Avatar
    chocci22/12/2021 05:27

Why does lack of support bother you? The existing operating system and …Why does lack of support bother you? The existing operating system and drive should still function as normal

MyCloud by WD was sold as a complete solution where WD host the ability to access your device remotely.

They are dropping these devices claiming obsolete for latest requirements from them hosting (i.e. you want to continue using their ecosystem buy the latest from them)

Someone could create their own on premise setup to access but that sort of defeats the reason and target market that bought these devices that could effectively plug them into their network and the hosting/access handled for them
  5. Avatar
    I've been dithering on the update of mine from Cloud OS 3 to 5 - because out of the box, the newer versions didn't support SMB, and an earlier firmware update broke my one.

Does anyone know if the Cloud OS 5 still supports SMB (using a linux box)?
  6. Avatar
    Bertz9922/12/2021 10:40

MyCloud by WD was sold as a complete solution where WD host the ability to …MyCloud by WD was sold as a complete solution where WD host the ability to access your device remotely.They are dropping these devices claiming obsolete for latest requirements from them hosting (i.e. you want to continue using their ecosystem buy the latest from them)Someone could create their own on premise setup to access but that sort of defeats the reason and target market that bought these devices that could effectively plug them into their network and the hosting/access handled for them

That's terrible as they were still selling them recently

I had one and the software was awful. Packed up after 2 years but managed to salvage the drive to put in a synology nas which is infinitely better.
  7. Avatar
    chocci22/12/2021 12:20

That's terrible as they were still selling them recently I had one and the …That's terrible as they were still selling them recently I had one and the software was awful. Packed up after 2 years but managed to salvage the drive to put in a synology nas which is infinitely better.

Yep - am getting emails as setup one many moons ago for a retired couple that live remotely and had a sub 1mb broadband connection so use to sync stuff from me they wanted using it.

Synology solutions I have seen used in more professional setups and those using happy with them but cost a bit more than WD's but to be honest hosting my own hardware for nas solutions now days seems a little bit defunct, at least to me and my use cases

The cloud solutions are becoming very competitive and by the time you buy a synology and populate it it still is not going to give you the redundancy of a multiple site cloud solution.
    Smaller end you have free solutions if it is about retaining copies with little use it is hard to beat AWS S3 Buckets that charge for access only (making it very cheap for infrequent use).
    Then you have the myriad of offering from MS on here offering 6tb a year with their office subscription for 6 users at sub £50 a year, google with a nest at 2tb whilst the device retails at £89. No need to run your own h/w, no single point of failure, security taken care of, no worrying if obsolete in a few years time and so on.
    Edited by: "Bertz99" 6 h, 40 m ago
  8. Avatar
    Synology
  9. Avatar
    Bertz9922/12/2021 12:51

Yep - am getting emails as setup one many moons ago for a retired couple …Yep - am getting emails as setup one many moons ago for a retired couple that live remotely and had a sub 1mb broadband connection so use to sync stuff from me they wanted using it.Synology solutions I have seen used in more professional setups and those using happy with them but cost a bit more than WD's but to be honest hosting my own hardware for nas solutions now days seems a little bit defunct, at least to me and my use casesThe cloud solutions are becoming very competitive and by the time you buy a synology and populate it it still is not going to give you the redundancy of a multiple site cloud solution.Smaller end you have free solutions if it is about retaining copies with little use it is hard to beat AWS S3 Buckets that charge for access only (making it very cheap for infrequent use).Then you have the myriad of offering from MS on here offering 6tb a year with their office subscription for 6 users at sub £50 a year, google with a nest at 2tb whilst the device retails at £89. No need to run your own h/w, no single point of failure, security taken care of, no worrying if obsolete in a few years time and so on.

I'm still getting the wd email every day for the last fortnight. Had to report to Gmail as spam to stop it
  10. Avatar
    I bought a recertified 4TB MyCloud back in May 2017. I've had no problem in updating to OS5 from OS3, but as I never bothered with the remote access, I just wanted common storage on the network, it wouldn't affect me either way. I believe that there was some concern that you could only access data on OS5 via the app/URL, but it has continued to work as a local drive on my network. If a 4.5 year old drive can be upgraded without issue

The constant emails is an irritation - it seems almost daily now. I'm sure it is mostly to drive newer purchases than actually care about those on OS3 losing functionality.

Cloud storage subscriptions might suit some but as with local drives, there are pro's and con's the biggest con being you are generally tied into whoever you originally chose for the service (the more you store, the less likely you are to change, and providers know this) and you are then subject to their pricing whims. I chose Amazon Cloud originally and they offered an unlimited package. 2 years later, they wanted to charge the same amount per TB (and I had 4TB up there). I can't remember if that switch drove me to trying the MyCloud but Cloud storage was outpriced for my own needs and I have stuck with local drives since.
Post a comment
Top Merchants