We all love a hot deal but what can we do about over-consumption, environmental degradation etc?

Posted 25th Sep
Been on this site for years and love a good deal as much as the next man, woman or beast, but I do sometimes wonder about the impact cheap stuff is having on our environment. I post a lot of deals so I feel a bit hypocritical posting this topic, but my favourite deals are always the ones that feel like they might be good for us consumers but also good, or at least better for the environment?

So this thread is inevitably going to get a torrent of sarcastic trolling but I ask;

What can we do as a community to improve things and reduce waste etc?

Post your suggestions below. I will start by suggesting buy a product from a company that produces goods to last at a good price, rather than buying a £3 kettle at normal price and having to landfill it and replace it long before you ever have to think about replacing the well made to last one!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I prefer to spend a lot on something good than spend often on rubbish. Pretty much why I never shop at primark etc.
51 Comments
Bet there are more disposable nappies in landfill than kettles . And that's just parental idleness .
Stop posting your deals.
Booooorrrring
My generation solved the problems of the hole in the ozone layer and acid rain. We now pass the baton on that weird Swedish midget
I prefer to spend a lot on something good than spend often on rubbish. Pretty much why I never shop at primark etc.
There should be very little getting landfilled if you recycle properly.

Electrical items can be took to the local recycling centre or took back to the place where it was purchased under WEEE regulations. Plastics, card, paper, metal and glass should all be kerbside recyclable.

Any food can be put in a composter which councils provide for free or cost price.

Id be happy for our rubbish bin to be emptied once a month, it probably still wouldnt be full.
MonkeysUncle25/09/2019 18:14

There should be very little getting landfilled if you recycle …There should be very little getting landfilled if you recycle properly.Electrical items can be took to the local recycling centre or took back to the place where it was purchased under WEEE regulations. Plastics, card, paper, metal and glass should all be kerbside recyclable.Any food can be put in a composter which councils provide for free or cost price. Id be happy for our rubbish bin to be emptied once a month, it probably still wouldnt be full.

Nice if your council provides all that, not all plastics are recyclableand no councils round our way provide food composters and not everyone has room for one. Our council even stopped collecting garden waste unless you pay for it
Edited by: "eslick" 25th Sep
Ask a Swedish adolescent. No one else is qualified.
jimmy_the_fridge25/09/2019 18:57

Comment deleted

Pretty sure the great great grandkids will still be listening to those songs long after the modern rap garbage is forgotten .

That's if they can find anything to play them on
"What can we do as a community to improve things and reduce waste etc?"

You don't have to be a genius to use these common sense "solutions":
- Buy ONLY what you need and not what you think you'll need.
- Buy for yourself and not to show off.
- Try fixing before throwing it away.
- and not the least, avoid Swedish midgets.
davewave25/09/2019 20:09

Ask a Swedish adolescent. No one else is qualified.

The way to shut her up is to buy her a My Little Pony for Christmas

There needs to be a birth rate limit. Two at the most.
More than two and you're sent Siberia, or Scotland in Summer. Whichever is colder
I like to do as best as I can with regards to recycling but the efforts made by individuals is insignificant in comparison to the difference that can be made on an industrial scale. It upsets me when a purchased item comes packaged in so much styrofoam. There are plenty of recyclable packaging materials now, companies just need to make the switch. However, I will still continue to do my bit as I do still feel that every little helps
jimmy_the_fridge25/09/2019 23:37

Comment deleted

Normally when I have a go at idle parents , re "disposable nappies" I get torrents of abuse - which of course I enjoy . Maybe there is a stirring of the parental conscience in these eco times ?

Nothing wrong with a terry nappy , a nappy bucket and a few minutes to rinse and transfer to the washing machine would save the mountains of filled "disposable nappies in our land fill .

As you wander through the supermarket take a look down the aisles at the bulk of stuff on the shelves and work out what non recycleable product takes the most space in land fill

Its not beans , not tea or coffee or chips , not even crisps or bottled water - its "disposable " nappies .
The amount of wastage that goes on is criminal.I'm not just talking about designer labels destroying their unsold clothes, I'm talking about the amount of perfectly edible food we waste on a daily basis and this need to have the latest model of everything. I've just had to replace my cordless strimmer. The battery no longer holds a charge and I can't get hold of a new one for love nor money. They just don't make them any more. That said, I've had it at least ten years and I paid less than £50 for it. If I could've repaired it I would. The old one will be properly recycled. I plan meals in advance to ensure I don't end up with squishy courgette and shriveled mushrooms in the back of the fridge. I'd much rather fix something otherwise serviceable rather than replace it (thank the Lord for e spares) and try and buy the best quality I can afford that I know will last as opposed to something a bit cheaper that is likely to break six weeks after the guarantee runs out. It is so easy to get carried away with impulse guys on this site but a bargain is only a bargain if you were going to buy it at a higher price anyway.
A really simple thing that was supposed to happen but for reasons we all know about has been put on the back burner is a deposit scheme on plastic bottles, this is successful in many countries and America of all places has had it for many years! A tax on plastic similar to sugar would be another route ie amazon who seem to use it for fun and supermarkets that seem to think plastic needs to be wrapped in plastic (multi pack etc)
Things like single use alkaline batteries, the list is endless but the only real way forward is a change in mindset from the 'it is cheap i don't care about anything else' generation, to the ' I give a damn as it will affect me' generation.
I posted something about Greta Thunberg and got the usual mindless rubbish, from insulting her looks to calling her an actor! must be some amazing role research she is doing by sailing to NY ? More like making a point and being emotional about it! says a lot when a 16yr old is more articulate than most.
A change needs to happen but unfortunately the whole capitalist world we find ourselves in will never allow it, we could all be dead as long as they had money invested in the futures markets predicting we would all be dead, they would consider it a win.
Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell25/09/2019 21:24

The way to shut her up is to buy her a My Little Pony for Christmas The way to shut her up is to buy her a My Little Pony for Christmas There needs to be a birth rate limit. Two at the most.More than two and you're sent Siberia, or Scotland in Summer. Whichever is colder

Wholeheartedly agree with a birthrate limit, you should not be allowed to breed
TobyZ26/09/2019 00:50

Comment deleted

I would prefer 7 billion other people to one racist, do feel free to name the countries, you have no need to be pc or do you have something to hide? No need to hide it. You might just be surprised at the top 10 Co2 emitting counties globally.
Edited by: "thomasleep" 26th Sep
deleted1410297
Learn to be a minimalist.
Who buys a £3 kettle lol. I like a deal but I still want good stuff, I’d rather save 10% off a expensive item than 50% of a cheap one. If people spent more they wouldn’t need to buy as often as things would last....
thomasleep26/09/2019 00:55

I would prefer 7 billion other people to one racist, do feel free to name …I would prefer 7 billion other people to one racist, do feel free to name the countries, you have no need to be pc or do you have something to hide? No need to hide it. You might just be surprised at the top 10 Co2 emitting counties globally.

No you will NOT prefer it, especially when the resources are limited.
On the other hand, you can always move to such a country.

Furthermore, when you have nothing else to say, just use the term "racist" and hope it will have the same effect as abracadabra, or hocus pocus.
Together with using too many resources, the overpopulation should be the second issue the World should fight against.

PS: it is not me who deleted my previous message.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 26th Sep
TobyZ26/09/2019 07:27

No you will NOT prefer it, especially when the resources are limited.On …No you will NOT prefer it, especially when the resources are limited.On the other hand, you can always move to such a country. Furthermore, when you have nothing else to say, just use the term "racist" and hope it will have the same effect as abracadabra, or hocus pocus.Together with using too many resources, the overpopulation should be the second issue the World should fight against.PS: it is not me who deleted my previous message.

YES I would and do not presume to tell me what I would or would not prefer, I was very clear!! Still waiting for the make believe countries you seem not to be able to name.
!! Racist is often a term racists do not like as they are cowards and like to hide behind mistrust and lies.
Silly me I forgot to mute you....done now talk to yourself as you have nothing I want to hear.
Edited by: "thomasleep" 26th Sep
Bargainhead26/09/2019 05:52

Who buys a £3 kettle lol. I like a deal but I still want good stuff, I’d ra …Who buys a £3 kettle lol. I like a deal but I still want good stuff, I’d rather save 10% off a expensive item than 50% of a cheap one. If people spent more they wouldn’t need to buy as often as things would last....

I bought a kettle for £3.99 from argos about 10 years ago still does what an expensive £50 kettle does ie boil water:)
thomasleep26/09/2019 08:45

YES I would and do not presume to tell me what I would or would not …YES I would and do not presume to tell me what I would or would not prefer, I was very clear!! Still waiting for the make believe countries you seem not to be able to name.!! Racist is often a term racists do not like as they are cowards and like to hide behind mistrust and lies.Silly me I forgot to mute you....done now talk to yourself as you have nothing I want to hear.

Instead of attaching labels, why not just post,for once, some relevant information .... rather than hyperbole.

Largest producers of territorial fossil fuel CO2 emissions worldwide in 2017, based on their share of global CO2 emissions

China - 27.21℅

United States - 14.48℅

India - 6.82℅

Russia - 4.68℅

Japan - 3.33℅

Germany - 2.21℅

Iran - 1.86℅

Saudi Arabia - 1.76℅

South Korea - 1.7℅

Canada -1.58℅
PR0METHEUS26/09/2019 09:27

Instead of attaching labels, why not just post,for once, some relevant …Instead of attaching labels, why not just post,for once, some relevant information .... rather than hyperbole.Largest producers of territorial fossil fuel CO2 emissions worldwide in 2017, based on their share of global CO2 emissionsChina - 27.21℅United States - 14.48℅India - 6.82℅Russia - 4.68℅Japan - 3.33℅Germany - 2.21℅Iran - 1.86℅Saudi Arabia - 1.76℅South Korea - 1.7℅Canada -1.58℅

Hard to keep you emissions low when you are manufacturing a large amount of junk for the rest of the world.
Edited by: "CoeK" 26th Sep
CoeK26/09/2019 09:34

Hard to keep you emissions low when you are manufacturing a large amount …Hard to keep you emissions low when you are manufacturing a large amount of junk for the rest of the world.

Just posting some facts, however uncomfortable they may be. Overpopulation is a major contributing factor, and a correlation is clear.

Countries with populations in excess of 100 million (2019)

China - 1,433,783,686

India - 1,366,417,754

United States - 329,064,917

Indonesia - 270,625,568

Pakistan - 216,565,318

Brazil - 211,049,527

Nigeria - 200,963,599

Bangladesh - 163,046,161

Russia - 145,872,256

Mexico - 127,575,529

Japan - 126,860,301

Ethiopia - 112,078,730

Philippines - 108,116,615

Egypt - 100,388,073
Edited by: "PR0METHEUS" 26th Sep
PR0METHEUS26/09/2019 09:52

Just posting some facts, however uncomfortable they may be. Overpopulation …Just posting some facts, however uncomfortable they may be. Overpopulation is a major contributing factor, and a correlation is clear.Countries with populations in excess of 100 million (2019)China - 1,433,783,686India - 1,366,417,754United States - 329,064,917Indonesia - 270,625,568Pakistan - 216,565,318Brazil - 211,049,527Nigeria - 200,963,599Bangladesh - 163,046,161Russia - 145,872,256Mexico - 127,575,529Japan - 126,860,301Ethiopia - 112,078,730Philippines - 108,116,615Egypt - 100,388,073

Nothing you have posted is uncomfortable. Clearly there isn't a direct correlation and even if there was that doesn't imply causation.
CoeK26/09/2019 10:08

Nothing you have posted is uncomfortable. Clearly there isn't a direct …Nothing you have posted is uncomfortable. Clearly there isn't a direct correlation and even if there was that doesn't imply causation.

Seek and ye shall find. I'm not here to hold others hands, but merely offer a little factual information for those who struggle with detail.
PR0METHEUS26/09/2019 10:20

Seek and ye shall find. I'm not here to hold others hands, but merely …Seek and ye shall find. I'm not here to hold others hands, but merely offer a little factual information for those who struggle with detail.

Anyone on here can google for random facts about population on the internet. They can do the same for CO2 emmissions. They can probably do they same for all the statistical data you could think of.

Doesn't show anything about causes though so seems a bit redundant.
CoeK26/09/2019 10:23

Anyone on here can google for random facts about population on the …Anyone on here can google for random facts about population on the internet. They can do the same for CO2 emmissions. They can probably do they same for all the statistical data you could think of.Doesn't show anything about causes though so seems a bit redundant.

That is where this started. Some members prefer to post bland generalisations, and continue in ignorance. It's OK for some, it really is.
PR0METHEUS26/09/2019 10:27

That is where this started. Some members prefer to post bland …That is where this started. Some members prefer to post bland generalisations, and continue in ignorance. It's OK for some, it really is.

You aren't really adding much. You have attempted to show a correlation which is tenuous at best. Though you haven't shown any kind of causal relationship at all.
CoeK26/09/2019 10:31

You aren't really adding much. You have attempted to show a correlation …You aren't really adding much. You have attempted to show a correlation which is tenuous at best. Though you haven't shown any kind of causal relationship at all.

It's OK, CoeK, it really is. As mentioned, I am not going to hold anyone's hand through the 14 links provided. Just ignore them, it's fine.
PR0METHEUS26/09/2019 10:34

It's OK, CoeK, it really is. As mentioned, I am not going to hold anyone's …It's OK, CoeK, it really is. As mentioned, I am not going to hold anyone's hand through the 14 links provided. Just ignore them, it's fine.

If you don't have a grasp of how statistics work i doubt you could hold anyones hand through the steps required to go from very loose correlation to causation.
CoeK26/09/2019 10:37

If you don't have a grasp of how statistics work i doubt you could hold …If you don't have a grasp of how statistics work i doubt you could hold anyones hand through the steps required to go from very loose correlation to causation.

Thanks for your input - most informative and illuminating.
PR0METHEUS26/09/2019 10:41

Thanks for your input - most informative and illuminating.

So much for posting facts.
CoeK26/09/2019 10:41

So much for posting facts.

Oh, you like to have the last word, however irrelevant it may be. Over to you then to conclude a rather pointless exchange.
thomasleep26/09/2019 08:46

I bought a kettle for £3.99 from argos about 10 years ago still does what …I bought a kettle for £3.99 from argos about 10 years ago still does what an expensive £50 kettle does ie boil water:)

Well done...I know people buy them otherwise they wouldn’t be sold, it’s the same as who goes in primark, I know people must but it just isn’t for me...
thomasleep26/09/2019 08:45

YES I would and do not presume to tell me what I would or would not …YES I would and do not presume to tell me what I would or would not prefer, I was very clear!! Still waiting for the make believe countries you seem not to be able to name.!! Racist is often a term racists do not like as they are cowards and like to hide behind mistrust and lies.Silly me I forgot to mute you....done now talk to yourself as you have nothing I want to hear.

Sorry for making you wait, but I've been quite busy today so I couldn't find time to reply. My previous message (which has been censored, even though there is nothing wrong with it) was: "Indeed, let's not talk about overpopulated countries (no names for the sake of political correctness) which will have disastrous effects on the future of the planet".
Now the explanation: The resources are LIMITED and as long as we don't find ways to either limit our consumption OR build habitats on other planets it is essential to save them for the future generations; more people, more mouths to feed. On the other hand it is much easier to control a large group of people when their basic needs (food and safety) are scarce and every day it's a fight for survivals having no more time to spend for education.
If you really want to live in an overpopulated country, then what stops you to live there continuously all your life ? Why are you still here ?

There can be pollution of the air, water supplies, land, etc. Let's no limit this discussion to only CO2. I'm not saying that IF overpopulated country THEN automatically means a high polluter, but "funny" how things happen.
Here is the population by country: en.wikipedia.org/wik…ion
and here an example (you find THOUSANDS of similar plots on the Internet) : 38551363-VUf9m.jpg

In this "top of shame" 13 countries have around or more than 100 million people (and the numbers increase by each day) while the other ones want to become "popular" in their way.

In other news some "people" protested in the UK to stop the usage of the plastic bags BUT they haven't protested to stop fly tipping. The ignorance is strong with these; the harsh reality of life will hit them hard.

I find ridiculous those people who can't have a logical discussion and start labeling others and using these "magic words": racist, bigot, xenophobe, X-fob, etc. For me, they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. You can call me as you wish; it doesn't matter. You don't matter to me.

"I forgot to mute you....done now talk to yourself as you have nothing I want to hear."
Have you finished yet primary school ? Are you an adult ? What's wrong with you ?

CoeK26/09/2019 10:08

Nothing you have posted is uncomfortable. Clearly there isn't a direct …Nothing you have posted is uncomfortable. Clearly there isn't a direct correlation and even if there was that doesn't imply causation.

"that doesn't automatically imply causation": both options are valid until proved otherwise, but I agree with what you're saying.
TobyZ26/09/2019 19:28

Sorry for making you wait, but I've been quite busy today so I couldn't …Sorry for making you wait, but I've been quite busy today so I couldn't find time to reply. My previous message (which has been censored, even though there is nothing wrong with it) was: "Indeed, let's not talk about overpopulated countries (no names for the sake of political correctness) which will have disastrous effects on the future of the planet".Now the explanation: The resources are LIMITED and as long as we don't find ways to either limit our consumption OR build habitats on other planets it is essential to save them for the future generations; more people, more mouths to feed. On the other hand it is much easier to control a large group of people when their basic needs (food and safety) are scarce and every day it's a fight for survivals having no more time to spend for education.If you really want to live in an overpopulated country, then what stops you to live there continuously all your life ? Why are you still here ?There can be pollution of the air, water supplies, land, etc. Let's no limit this discussion to only CO2. I'm not saying that IF overpopulated country THEN automatically means a high polluter, but "funny" how things happen.Here is the population by country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_populationand here an example (you find THOUSANDS of similar plots on the Internet) : [Image] In this "top of shame" 13 countries have around or more than 100 million people (and the numbers increase by each day) while the other ones want to become "popular" in their way.In other news some "people" protested in the UK to stop the usage of the plastic bags BUT they haven't protested to stop fly tipping. The ignorance is strong with these; the harsh reality of life will hit them hard.I find ridiculous those people who can't have a logical discussion and start labeling others and using these "magic words": racist, bigot, xenophobe, X-fob, etc. For me, they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. You can call me as you wish; it doesn't matter. You don't matter to me."I forgot to mute you....done now talk to yourself as you have nothing I want to hear."Have you finished yet primary school ? Are you an adult ? What's wrong with you ? "that doesn't automatically imply causation": both options are valid until proved otherwise, but I agree with what you're saying.

Both of what options?
CoeK26/09/2019 20:09

Both of what options?

There may be and there may not be a causality relationship between X and Y until proved otherwise.
In other words you cannot simply use "correlation doesn't imply causation" as an absolute answer without supporting this statement with evidence.
TobyZ26/09/2019 20:58

There may be and there may not be a causality relationship between X and Y …There may be and there may not be a causality relationship between X and Y until proved otherwise.In other words you cannot simply use "correlation doesn't imply causation" as an absolute answer without supporting this statement with evidence.

Sure you can, it is the null hypothesis. That's exactly how it works.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants