We could do with your help, please..

Found 26th JanEdited by:"Diegobound"
Hi, we have cancelled Sky and would appreciate your thoughts and help. We are after an HD freeview box that can tape 2 channels in HD and has a half decent, easy to use planner with, hopefully, a 'catch up service/link'.

I followed this link and answers from 'Elitom' on here:

hotukdeals.com/dis…074

Unfortunately, the device mentioned by Elitom isn't currently available. We did, however, find this:

amazon.co.uk/gp/…KE/

Could you good people comment on if you think this is a good piece of kit? It's primarily to be used by someone who has some learning difficulties. (By that, I mean very able to learn new methods of operation, if reasonable. This was the reason his Sky box was so good.)

Many thanks in anticipation of any thoughts on the box and advice.

Diegobound.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
22 Comments
BT youview box off amazon.. Maybe.. We are happy with ours and for £25 you can get a 5 years warranty from amazon. Not one for buying warranties but I thought that was worth it
Do you still have your Sky dish?

If so you could use it with a Humax Freesat HD box for Freesat TV.

We have one. It's very good.
Original Poster
We do have a dish. Do you think that's an option? I do stress that the box we get is for my brother, someone with certain learning difficulties.

I am so grateful for you taking the time to reply.
Original Poster
I'm on my phohe at the moment and can't find how to 'like' the comments above. I will do in due course, but thank you.
Hi Diegobound,

I would second the BT Youview box, it's what I have and so far it's worked well for me. There's not a great deal of settings to tweak so ideal for someone who wants something that "just works". As required, it can record 2 HD programmes at once, it has a reasonably clear guide and the catch up services which you can access via the guide by just selecting an earlier date/time over the last week - couldn't be easier, if you know when what you wanted was on, or you can access each catch up service directly if you want to go further back or whatever.

However, there is some debate regarding ease of use. Originally these presented your recordings in a list format just like the Sky+ HD box does. Over the last year or so these boxes have received a major update and now your recordings are presented as a grid of thumbnail images (with the title appearing within the thumbnail) a bit like netflix or amazon etc. Some people find this easier than the list, with the thumbnail image helping to identify the programme; others find it a nightmare as the titles can be harder to read, and you have to scan across the screen as well as down. So it really depends upon where your brother's strengths lie I guess and what he is comfortable with. Take a look at the Youview website which shows some of the screens etc: youview.com/

The risk here I guess is that the software is updated reasonably frequently which restores features which were stripped with the big update, fixes bugs and also adds new features - if that won't trouble him then great. Just tends to be minor tweaks.

Good luck, happy to help if you have any other questions on this model.
Cheers,
Rob
Another vote for the BT Youview box. I actually prefer the interface to both Sky and Virgin offerings. Simple to use and the 4k Youview box I have is very fast, no lag and a pleasure to use.

Also has all the catchup apps installed as well as NowTv and Netflix.

these is also a Youview Mobile App you can install that allows remote recordings etc like sky/Virgin offer.

Often on gumtree for £50-£75 but worth checking your local cashconvertors type shops as well as people sell these on quite often when they change suppliers after contract runs out.

Cex also have them for £75
uk.webuy.com/pro…LTB
Edited by: "Uridium" 27th Jan
Original Poster
CatsWithThumbs12 h, 19 m ago

Hi Diegobound, I would second the BT Youview box, it's what I have and so …Hi Diegobound, I would second the BT Youview box, it's what I have and so far it's worked well for me. There's not a great deal of settings to tweak so ideal for someone who wants something that "just works". As required, it can record 2 HD programmes at once, it has a reasonably clear guide and the catch up services which you can access via the guide by just selecting an earlier date/time over the last week - couldn't be easier, if you know when what you wanted was on, or you can access each catch up service directly if you want to go further back or whatever. However, there is some debate regarding ease of use. Originally these presented your recordings in a list format just like the Sky+ HD box does. Over the last year or so these boxes have received a major update and now your recordings are presented as a grid of thumbnail images (with the title appearing within the thumbnail) a bit like netflix or amazon etc. Some people find this easier than the list, with the thumbnail image helping to identify the programme; others find it a nightmare as the titles can be harder to read, and you have to scan across the screen as well as down. So it really depends upon where your brother's strengths lie I guess and what he is comfortable with. Take a look at the Youview website which shows some of the screens etc: https://www.youview.com/The risk here I guess is that the software is updated reasonably frequently which restores features which were stripped with the big update, fixes bugs and also adds new features - if that won't trouble him then great. Just tends to be minor tweaks.Good luck, happy to help if you have any other questions on this model.Cheers,Rob

Thank you so much Rob for taking the time to reply. We appreciate it, we really do. The detailed information about the planner was just the sort of thing we were hoping for. (It's terribly difficult to find a solution without actually seeing the kit in action and seeing if my brother will 'take' to it.) I think we'll pull the trigger on the Youview box. It'll take some time I guess, to make my brother comfortable with it, but to be honest, that's the way it is.

With yours and 'Uridium's' help, I think we have a possible solution.

Again, my sincere thanks for your time and help.

Diegobound.
Edited by: "Diegobound" 27th Jan
Original Poster
Uridium1 h, 18 m ago

Another vote for the BT Youview box. I actually prefer the interface to …Another vote for the BT Youview box. I actually prefer the interface to both Sky and Virgin offerings. Simple to use and the 4k Youview box I have is very fast, no lag and a pleasure to use.Also has all the catchup apps installed as well as NowTv and Netflix.these is also a Youview Mobile App you can install that allows remote recordings etc like sky/Virgin offer.Often on gumtree for £50-£75 but worth checking your local cashconvertors type shops as well as people sell these on quite often when they change suppliers after contract runs out.Cex also have them for £75https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SMEDBTYVULTB#.WmxmuJOFguA

Thank you, 'Uridium' for taking the time to reply. As I replied to 'CatswithThumbs', your input is greatly appreciated. I have to be honest and say I wouldn't buy anything off Gumtree, whilst I really thank you for the suggestion. (I'm too old to trust it!) However, Cex may be a really good option, if we can find one of these boxes for sale. It was a thread on here, mentioned in my OP, that got us on this track. Great to hear the interface is user friendly. That is so important.

I think we are on the right track. Again, you have my sincere thanks.

Diegobound.
Original Poster
Uridium1 h, 40 m ago

Another vote for the BT Youview box. I actually prefer the interface to …Another vote for the BT Youview box. I actually prefer the interface to both Sky and Virgin offerings. Simple to use and the 4k Youview box I have is very fast, no lag and a pleasure to use.Also has all the catchup apps installed as well as NowTv and Netflix.these is also a Youview Mobile App you can install that allows remote recordings etc like sky/Virgin offer.Often on gumtree for £50-£75 but worth checking your local cashconvertors type shops as well as people sell these on quite often when they change suppliers after contract runs out.Cex also have them for £75https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SMEDBTYVULTB#.WmxmuJOFguA

Silly question time, Uridium. We are just about to order the box you have kindly linked, but does the 4K thing has any adverse effect on a normal HD telly? Forgive us if it's a daft question, but want to check before we order it.

With our thanks,

Diegobound.
Diegobound1 h, 18 m ago

Silly question time, Uridium. We are just about to order the box you have …Silly question time, Uridium. We are just about to order the box you have kindly linked, but does the 4K thing has any adverse effect on a normal HD telly? Forgive us if it's a daft question, but want to check before we order it.With our thanks,Diegobound.

No none at all. You can set the output resolution to match that of your own TV.

To be honest you are best to set it to match that of your TV and then let your TV do any upscaling (should you have a 4k TV)

I can relate to your search, I hunted for some time to find a freeview recorder that offered similar to your requiements and used a Humax freesat box for a while before discovering the BT Youview box. Couldn't be happier with mine now.

As I said mentioned before the interface on the BT Youview box really is great. Pressing the menu button gives 4 options.

Guide (TV Guide)
Players and Apps (Netflix, Catchup apps etc)
My TV (Recordings)
Settings

Clicking Tv brings up a 7 day TV guide you can go forwards and backwards in, icons show which programs are available from catch up, clicking a programme from a previous day with a catchup icon opens the chosen programme directly in the channels catchup app. Brilliant

Clicking recordings shows a list of thumbnailed recordings, if you have multiple episodes of the same show recorded clicking the thumbnail opens a list of recorded episodes.

Sky and Virgin could really learn a lot from simplicity of the interface. I really cant praise these freeview boxes highly enough.

BTW...If you go for the 4k Ultra Youview box you also get a large 1Tb drive for plenty of recording storage.
Edited by: "Uridium" 27th Jan
Original Poster
Uridium25 m ago

No none at all. You can set the output resolution to match that of your …No none at all. You can set the output resolution to match that of your own TV.To be honest you are best to set it to match that of your TV and then let your TV do any upscaling (should you have a 4k TV)I can relate to your search, I hunted for some time to find a freeview recorder that offered similar to your requiements and used a Humax freesat box for a while before discovering the BT Youview box. Couldn't be happier with mine now.As I said mentioned before the interface on the BT Youview box really is great. Pressing the menu button gives 4 options.Guide (TV Guide)Players and Apps (Netflix, Catchup apps etc)My TV (Recordings)SettingsClicking Tv brings up a 7 day TV guide you can go forwards and backwards in, icons show which programs are available from catch up, clicking a programme from a previous day with a catchup icon opens the chosen programme directly in the channels catchup app. BrilliantClicking recordings shows a list of thumbnailed recordings, if you have multiple episodes of the same show recorded clicking the thumbnail opens a list of recorded episodes. Sky and Virgin could really learn a lot from simplicity of the interface. I really cant praise these freeview boxes highly enough.BTW...If you go for the 4k Ultra Youview box you also get a large 1Tb drive for plenty of recording storage.

That, Sir, is fantastic information. Really useful and has put our minds at rest. The guide, as you describe it, sounds as though it's just the ticket. My brother does struggle a little with new things.

Thank you so much. You have made my day as it sounds like I can get my brother a really good alternative. Lovely stuff !

Genuinely grateful for all the help.
Original Poster
Uridium41 m ago

No none at all. You can set the output resolution to match that of your …No none at all. You can set the output resolution to match that of your own TV.To be honest you are best to set it to match that of your TV and then let your TV do any upscaling (should you have a 4k TV)I can relate to your search, I hunted for some time to find a freeview recorder that offered similar to your requiements and used a Humax freesat box for a while before discovering the BT Youview box. Couldn't be happier with mine now.As I said mentioned before the interface on the BT Youview box really is great. Pressing the menu button gives 4 options.Guide (TV Guide)Players and Apps (Netflix, Catchup apps etc)My TV (Recordings)SettingsClicking Tv brings up a 7 day TV guide you can go forwards and backwards in, icons show which programs are available from catch up, clicking a programme from a previous day with a catchup icon opens the chosen programme directly in the channels catchup app. BrilliantClicking recordings shows a list of thumbnailed recordings, if you have multiple episodes of the same show recorded clicking the thumbnail opens a list of recorded episodes. Sky and Virgin could really learn a lot from simplicity of the interface. I really cant praise these freeview boxes highly enough.BTW...If you go for the 4k Ultra Youview box you also get a large 1Tb drive for plenty of recording storage.

Well, we have just bought one on yours and CatsWithThumbs recommendations.

Thanks very much for all the time and help.

Diegobound.
I’d scrap the idea of recording tv altogether that’s so 1980’s and just get a Roku box and download all the apps such as iplayer, itv player, 4OD, 5od and if you have Netflix, nowtv or prime put those on there too. You can then watch all the stuff you missed without needing to record it. Internet connection is required.
cmdr_elito13 h, 11 m ago

I’d scrap the idea of recording tv altogether that’s so 1980’s and just get …I’d scrap the idea of recording tv altogether that’s so 1980’s and just get a Roku box and download all the apps such as iplayer, itv player, 4OD, 5od and if you have Netflix, nowtv or prime put those on there too. You can then watch all the stuff you missed without needing to record it. Internet connection is required.

Each to their own. Personally, I hate the commercial catchup sites as opposed to recording. The main reasons being that you don't have to sit through adverts, not everything is available and a lot of things are time limited before they are removed.

OP, the bt youview boxes are amazing. Netflix on them is super slick. Now tv only has the entertainment pack option so dont bother with that. Amazon prime isn't available but it's terrible anyway.

Install the youview app for android to be able to set your recordings etc from his phone or tablet
Edited by: "chocci" 28th Jan
What a charming thread. And they say manners are dead.
Original Poster
chocci28th Jan

Each to their own. Personally, I hate the commercial catchup sites as …Each to their own. Personally, I hate the commercial catchup sites as opposed to recording. The main reasons being that you don't have to sit through adverts, not everything is available and a lot of things are time limited before they are removed.OP, the bt youview boxes are amazing. Netflix on them is super slick. Now tv only has the entertainment pack option so dont bother with that. Amazon prime isn't available but it's terrible anyway.Install the youview app for android to be able to set your recordings etc from his phone or tablet

Thanks very much chocci for taking your time out to reply and please forgive my late reply. We have already ordered the box recommended so highly by CatsWithThumbs, Uridium and now yourself. As you describe, it's the ability to record a programme and watch anytime, which is crucial to our needs. Catch up tv doesn't meet our requirements, as my brother will watch his favourite programmes many times.

As to your information on the possibilities of adding the youview app, my thanks. We'll get him set up and comfortable (hopefully!) with the new recorder and then, maybe, tackle that option.

Again, with our sincere thanks to all, I really mean that.

Diegobound.
Edited by: "Diegobound" 2nd Feb
Diegobound12 h, 11 m ago

Thanks very much chocci for taking your time out to reply and please …Thanks very much chocci for taking your time out to reply and please forgive my late reply. We have already ordered the box recommended so highly by CatsWithThumbs, Uridium and now yourself. As you describe, it's the ability to record a programme and watch anytime, which is crucial to our needs. Catch up tv doesn't meet our requirements, as my brother will watch his favourite programmes many times.As to your information on the possibilities of adding the youview app, my thanks. We'll get him set up and comfortable (hopefully!) with the new recorder and then, maybe, tackle that option.Again, with our sincere thanks to all, I really mean that.Diegobound.

You're most welcome. You can also setup the app on your devices to record things remotely for him. Any questions, just shout.
Original Poster
chocci28th Jan

Each to their own. Personally, I hate the commercial catchup sites as …Each to their own. Personally, I hate the commercial catchup sites as opposed to recording. The main reasons being that you don't have to sit through adverts, not everything is available and a lot of things are time limited before they are removed.OP, the bt youview boxes are amazing. Netflix on them is super slick. Now tv only has the entertainment pack option so dont bother with that. Amazon prime isn't available but it's terrible anyway.Install the youview app for android to be able to set your recordings etc from his phone or tablet

CatsWithThumbs27th Jan

Hi Diegobound, I would second the BT Youview box, it's what I have and so …Hi Diegobound, I would second the BT Youview box, it's what I have and so far it's worked well for me. There's not a great deal of settings to tweak so ideal for someone who wants something that "just works". As required, it can record 2 HD programmes at once, it has a reasonably clear guide and the catch up services which you can access via the guide by just selecting an earlier date/time over the last week - couldn't be easier, if you know when what you wanted was on, or you can access each catch up service directly if you want to go further back or whatever. However, there is some debate regarding ease of use. Originally these presented your recordings in a list format just like the Sky+ HD box does. Over the last year or so these boxes have received a major update and now your recordings are presented as a grid of thumbnail images (with the title appearing within the thumbnail) a bit like netflix or amazon etc. Some people find this easier than the list, with the thumbnail image helping to identify the programme; others find it a nightmare as the titles can be harder to read, and you have to scan across the screen as well as down. So it really depends upon where your brother's strengths lie I guess and what he is comfortable with. Take a look at the Youview website which shows some of the screens etc: https://www.youview.com/The risk here I guess is that the software is updated reasonably frequently which restores features which were stripped with the big update, fixes bugs and also adds new features - if that won't trouble him then great. Just tends to be minor tweaks.Good luck, happy to help if you have any other questions on this model.Cheers,Rob

Uridium27th Jan

Just a quick update, as you were kind enough to to take the trouble to help us.

We have taken delivery of the BT Ultra HD 1TB from CEX, as linked up for us. It was described as 'Grade B', so was nervous it might have seen better days. However, it looks as good as new as does the remote etc. Terrific!
The set up worked perfectly and consequentially the guide, recordings and settings run like silk.

The interface is just as user friendly as you had all described, I am really pleased about that and very impressed. My brother whom we purchased the box for, as mentioned, has I am delighted to say, taken to it like the proverbial duck. So happy about that.

I have one small question about the box, if you have time? When using the tv guide, some boxes ( eg the Sky box) have the facility to display the short program synopsis at the top of the screen automatically as move along the guide. I see that the synopsis is displayed by pressing 'i', but wondered if there was a way to change the guide display/format?

'Chocci', as to using the app to record, great news. We are going to fix my brother up with that option, as the box has proven to be so user friendly.

Our sincere thanks to you all. So glad I asked the initial question on here and grateful to all who took the time to reply.

Diegobound.
Edited by: "Diegobound" 14th Feb
Diegobound2 h, 45 m ago

Just a quick update, as you were kind enough to to take the trouble to …Just a quick update, as you were kind enough to to take the trouble to help us.We have taken delivery of the BT Ultra HD 1TB from CEX, as linked up for us. It was described as 'Grade B', so was nervous it might have seen better days. However, it looks as good as new as does the remote etc. Terrific!The set up worked perfectly and consequentially the guide, recordings and settings run like silk. The interface is just as user friendly as you had all described, I am really pleased about that and very impressed. My brother whom we purchased the box for, as mentioned, has I am delighted to say, taken to it like the proverbial duck. So happy about that.I have one small question about the box, if you have time? When using the tv guide, some boxes ( eg the Sky box) have the facility to display the short program synopsis at the top of the screen automatically as move along the guide. I see that the synopsis is displayed by pressing 'i', but wondered if there was a way to change the guide display/format?'Chocci', as to using the app to record, great news. We are going to fix my brother up with that option, as the box has proven to be so user friendly.Our sincere thanks to you all. So glad I asked the initial question on here and grateful to all who took the time to reply.Diegobound.

Brilliant. Thanks for the update. The guide can't be changed unfortunately.
Original Poster
chocci35 m ago

Brilliant. Thanks for the update. The guide can't be changed unfortunately.

No worries. Our thanks, again. This thread and your (I am obviously including Uridium and CatswithThumbs here) help has been superb.

Thank you chocci.
Diegobound6 h, 11 m ago

Just a quick update, as you were kind enough to to take the trouble to …Just a quick update, as you were kind enough to to take the trouble to help us.We have taken delivery of the BT Ultra HD 1TB from CEX, as linked up for us. It was described as 'Grade B', so was nervous it might have seen better days. However, it looks as good as new as does the remote etc. Terrific!The set up worked perfectly and consequentially the guide, recordings and settings run like silk. The interface is just as user friendly as you had all described, I am really pleased about that and very impressed. My brother whom we purchased the box for, as mentioned, has I am delighted to say, taken to it like the proverbial duck. So happy about that.I have one small question about the box, if you have time? When using the tv guide, some boxes ( eg the Sky box) have the facility to display the short program synopsis at the top of the screen automatically as move along the guide. I see that the synopsis is displayed by pressing 'i', but wondered if there was a way to change the guide display/format?'Chocci', as to using the app to record, great news. We are going to fix my brother up with that option, as the box has proven to be so user friendly.Our sincere thanks to you all. So glad I asked the initial question on here and grateful to all who took the time to reply.Diegobound.

How odd....Funnily enough only this morning I was wondering if you'd ever received the box and how you were getting on with it.

I'm so pleased your Brother is getting on well with it. BT/Youview really hit the nail on the head with the interface on this box, sometimes these devices can be so unnecessarily cumbersome and complicated (yes Virgin V6 and Sky Q..that's you....)

I hope you have many happy hours with it.
Original Poster
Uridium56 m ago

How odd....Funnily enough only this morning I was wondering if you'd ever …How odd....Funnily enough only this morning I was wondering if you'd ever received the box and how you were getting on with it. I'm so pleased your Brother is getting on well with it. BT/Youview really hit the nail on the head with the interface on this box, sometimes these devices can be so unnecessarily cumbersome and complicated (yes Virgin V6 and Sky Q..that's you....)I hope you have many happy hours with it.

Uridium, it's just the ticket. Really is. I am so glad you saw my update so as you know that we took what you said on board.

A great solution.

Hope this finds you well.

Digobound.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants