We should be proud of our security services

8 replies
Found 26th Feb
Britain faces a level of terror threat not seen since the IRA bombings of the 1970s, according to a new watchdog.
Max Hill QC, the independent reviewer of terrorism laws, told the Sunday Telegraph that Islamist extremists were targeting UK cities.
He credited the effectiveness of the intelligence services in limiting the level of threat to Britain.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd told ITV's Peston on Sunday that defending the UK was her "main priority".
Ms Rudd said she agreed with Mr Hill's assessment of the current terror threat facing the UK, adding that ensuring a country is well-defended is "the most important job a home secretary does".
Mr Hill also pledged to review anti-terror measures over concerns about any infringements of freedom.
Lawyer to be new terrorism laws watchdog
Mr Hill, who successfully prosecuted the failed 21/7 bombers and the killers of Damilola Taylor, said the so-called Islamic State was planning "indiscriminate attacks on innocent civilians of whatever race or colour" in UK cities, close to the scale of Provisional IRA attacks of the 1970s.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
8 Comments

Banned

Our security services have never been perfect & have been awful in the past.

BUT they are a hell of a lot better than they once were.

I remember my Grandfather speaking about WW2, and with great sadness recalling how the German Army were so much better equipped in almost every way than our lads.
Great sadness, because the vast majority of his best friends were being shot to pieces all around him.

He endured the murderous hell of Le Paradis, France, always astonished that he had somehow survived it.
They were up against the notorious 'death head' SS who had better guns, better tanks, better artillery - it was amazing that the Brits actually held them up - but, my word, how they were to pay for that.

These stories always taught me that politicians are well capable of skimping on the costs involved in providing our lads with the very best equipment available - and how I blame them almost more than the enemy for unnecessary deaths.

These days it's all about intelligence, spying and the likes - all extremely helpful stuff in the war against this new type of enemy - all too often 'the enemy within'.
But, we still have to send our lads in at the 'business' end, and God forbid we haven't learned the lessons about skimping on the costs of the very, very best equipment available.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 26th Feb

tryn2help

I remember my Grandfather speaking about WW2, and with great sadness … I remember my Grandfather speaking about WW2, and with great sadness recalling how the German Army were so much better equipped in almost every way than our lads.Great sadness, because the vast majority of his best friends were being shot to pieces all around him.He endured the murderous hell of Le Paradis, France, always astonished that he had somehow survived it.They were up against the notorious 'death head' SS who had better guns, better tanks, better artillery - it was amazing that the Brits actually held them up - but, my word, how they were to pay for that.These stories always taught me that politicians are well capable of skimping on the costs involved in providing our lads with the very best equipment available - and how I blame them almost more than the enemy for unnecessary deaths.These days it's all about intelligence, spying and the likes - all extremely helpful stuff in the war against this new type of enemy - all too often 'the enemy within'.But, we still have to send our lads in at the 'business' end, and God forbid we haven't learned the lessons about skimping on the costs of the very, very best equipment available.

​Whilst I'm not arguing that our armed forces need good equipment history shows that a few expensive toys sometimes aren't as good as many reliable cheap ones. Who lost the world wars. Hitler should have spent less on V bombs and more on other stuff. How well did Russia do in Afghanistan, or us for that matter. Can't help thinking that a few billion pound fighter jets will have a weakness that the enemy will find, then we're left with nothing. No matter how you prepare you'll find the tactics change.

Banned

I don't really get this sorta thing. There's so many people coming through the borders from places like Afghan, most of the fast food places in my area employ these Afghani's, they don't seem like bad people. Making a bomb isn't really that hard, how come there's not daily bombings?? If you wanted to cause destruction wouldn't you just highjack a track near London, pack it full of explosives and ram it into Kings Cross or something?? Why would these terrorist not bomb us everyday? They clearly could, why not use dirty bombs in the underground?? Arrr I don't believe there's any threat apart from the MP's.

cowboybebop69

I don't really get this sorta thing. There's so many people coming … I don't really get this sorta thing. There's so many people coming through the borders from places like Afghan, most of the fast food places in my area employ these Afghani's, they don't seem like bad people. Making a bomb isn't really that hard, how come there's not daily bombings?? If you wanted to cause destruction wouldn't you just highjack a track near London, pack it full of explosives and ram it into Kings Cross or something?? Why would these terrorist not bomb us everyday? They clearly could, why not use dirty bombs in the underground?? Arrr I don't believe there's any threat apart from the MP's.

welcome to the forums

Banned

benjammin316

welcome to the forums

Awsshh thatsa nice, thanking you sir (= I guess im now on the UK watchlist

cowboybebop69

I don't really get this sorta thing. There's so many people coming … I don't really get this sorta thing. There's so many people coming through the borders from places like Afghan, most of the fast food places in my area employ these Afghani's, they don't seem like bad people. Making a bomb isn't really that hard, how come there's not daily bombings?? If you wanted to cause destruction wouldn't you just highjack a track near London, pack it full of explosives and ram it into Kings Cross or something?? Why would these terrorist not bomb us everyday? They clearly could, why not use dirty bombs in the underground?? Arrr I don't believe there's any threat apart from the MP's.

The human rights apologists have seen to it that all those Jihadists returning from the ME have all been allowed to come back freely. Maybe they don't seem like 'bad people' either.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition47382
    2. Win free gin for a year88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…44
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414

See more discussions