Groups

Web hosting - Recommendations?

Hi all

I'm in the process of setting up a website for a local organisation. I'm intending to install the Joomla CMS to facilitate management of the site. As a result, I require MySQL dbs and would like to have cPanel.

Has anyone got any recommendations? I'm learning about Joomla at the moment (and having difficulties setting up the database on my own webspace as it's not cpanel and uses phpMyAdmin (never used it before, confusing the hell out of me, whilst trying to follow instructions from a book lol).

I did a quick bit of searching and Host Gator is looking good. Wanting to go for as low a price as possible, but with the maximum features, storage and bandwidth (although I can't forsee the site requiring huge volumes of storage, I'm wanting to have the most headroom at an affordable price for them).

11 Comments

Original Poster

Also spotted siteground. Anyone had any experiences?

Servage are abismal in my experience, massively over subscribed and underpowered.

I went through lots of hosting companies before coming across TSOHost.co.uk

They are cheap, quick and most of all their support is top notch. Would recommend them 100% of the time.

I'm with bytehost - $3 a month for 250GB off bandwidth. They use cPanel and you can select to install joomla automatically from the extension panel (fantastico deluxe - it installs within 30secs and take 1mouse click to kick it off!).

Although to be honest i have setup joomla by uploading all the files and setting up a database (thats all i had to do, create a database, create a user, upload the joomla files then specify the details in the installation) it wasn't that tough.

Joomla is great, even if your site is fairly static - as with HTML templates as soon as you start to modify content the page gets very messy.

I've downloaded a few templates from siteground but you don't get the PSD files to modify logos etc so not that great.

Original Poster

Groovy. I'm trying to set up a database at the moment, but for some r-tarded reason the "advanced features" of phpMySQL isn't available... So I can't set user priveledges -.- Wtf? Anyone got that problem?

DragonChris;8780914

Groovy. I'm trying to set up a database at the moment, but for some … Groovy. I'm trying to set up a database at the moment, but for some r-tarded reason the "advanced features" of phpMySQL isn't available... So I can't set user priveledges -.- Wtf? Anyone got that problem?

Not sure - you could sign up with bytehost free account to play around with joomla etc- to be honest theres not much difference between free and premium - i just paid for it just in case my site had a load of traffic.

DragonChris;8780914

Groovy. I'm trying to set up a database at the moment, but for some … Groovy. I'm trying to set up a database at the moment, but for some r-tarded reason the "advanced features" of phpMySQL isn't available... So I can't set user priveledges -.- Wtf? Anyone got that problem?

TSOHost comes with full cpanel, phpmyadmin, ftp etc and shell access.

I would go with a UK host, either Vidahost or CSnewmedia... Both highly recommended...

If you need help getting Joomla installed and set up, gimme a buzz as I do quite a bit of Joomla work.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll check out the recommendations

And fae, expect a PM at some point I'll continue to plough on and if I get stuck, I'll drop you a line

All repped.

+1 for Vidahost

Another recommendation is stablehost.com
    Fantastic, fast and cheap if you use WHT50 as a coupon code (50% off)
    Used them for ages.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cracked windscreen, is it safe and legal to drive?1319
      2. CAR QUESTION: Difference Between Lexus IS300 and Lexus IS300h?715
      3. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?44
      4. Led light bulbs. Never used them, what do I need to know?813

See more discussions