Groups

Website Concern

Hi, I'm after some advice about a website called golfsupport.com.

This afternoon my mum ordered something from them and then received an e-mail which appeared to be from them to say that her bank details she had provided were incorrect. There was a phone number to call (I know she shouldn't have called but you know what parents are like)!! Anyway the number she called was a voice mail message to say that it was a scam! Very strange indeed. Anyway prior to calling this number she also attempted to send them an e-mail query via there contact page on the website.

The strange thing is - and this has got me wondering whether there website has been compromised is that I've just got home from work and taken a look at the website. When I've navigated to the contact us page I can see the message that my mum attempted to send to them earlier this afternoon to query the order she placed. How is that possible given that she's used a completely different device? I'm certain that the website is ok as I've used them in the past. If the site has been compromised is there anything I can do to alert the site owner. Tried calling but they're closed for the day. Any thoughts would be welcome as my mum is worried she's been scammed. Already told her to contact her bank. Thanks

10 Comments

that seems very strange . hope you mum has explained to her bank. if you have used them before and all seemed ok then yes maybe contact them tomorrow or do they have a Facebook page you could message through that x hope everything goes well x

Banned

call/email the owner

NameGary Swift
    OrganizationGolfix.co.uk Ltd
    AddressCorner House
    AddressUnion Street
    CityMANSFIELD
    Postal CodeNG18 1RP
    CountryGB
    Phone+44.7976765246
    Email

email address on here

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

call/email the ownerNameGary SwiftOrganizationGolfix.co.uk … call/email the ownerNameGary SwiftOrganizationGolfix.co.uk LtdAddressCorner HouseAddressUnion StreetCityMANSFIELDPostal CodeNG18 1RPCountryGBPhone+44.7976765246Email email address on here

Thanks so much. Not sure how you obtained the details but I've just spoken to the owner and he is looking into it. Sounded genuinely concerned and helpful.

It could be the you mums email has been compromised. Lots of scams work when your email is being watched, they notice you have placed an order at X website, they then send you an email pretending to be from X website asking for you to pay again.

Banned

dinglebin

Not sure how you obtained the details but I've just spoken to the owner … Not sure how you obtained the details but I've just spoken to the owner and he is looking into it. Sounded genuinely concerned and helpful.

No problem

He is one of the owners. The other 2 are a pro golfer & his wife. All looks totally legit at Companies House too.

Original Poster

MIDURIX

It could be the you mums email has been compromised. Lots of scams work … It could be the you mums email has been compromised. Lots of scams work when your email is being watched, they notice you have placed an order at X website, they then send you an email pretending to be from X website asking for you to pay again.

Thanks. Will look into that.

if you and your mum share the same google account and you are using the google browser then being able to see each others work in progress is "normal" but I can understand how worrying it can be when you notice it for the first time. It is a feature aimed at those people who use a multitude of devices during their busy lives. There may be some settings tweak where you can turn the feature off.

Original Poster

tardytortoise

if you and your mum share the same google account and you are using the … if you and your mum share the same google account and you are using the google browser then being able to see each others work in progress is "normal" but I can understand how worrying it can be when you notice it for the first time. It is a feature aimed at those people who use a multitude of devices during their busy lives. There may be some settings tweak where you can turn the feature off.

Thanks for the suggestion but it's definitely not that. We don't live together. We live in 2 entirely separate towns. The website owner is going to get his IT team to look into it asap and provide me with an update tomorrow morning. Its almost like she composed the message but never hit the send button and for some reason her message was available for all and sundry to see. Just pleased she hadn't shared any persona;detail other than her e-mail address.

Thanks so much. Not sure how you obtained the details but I've just … Thanks so much. Not sure how you obtained the details but I've just spoken to the owner and he is looking into it. Sounded genuinely concerned and helpful.

If you use FIreFox as your browser, you can install an addon called "FlagFox". This displays the flag for the country the webpage server is located in; right click on the flag, and you have a menu of security and verification services such as "whois", which give you all the details on who, where and how long the website has existed.

This handy program saved my mothers business a few years ago, she was redirected by a dodgy email link to a cloned version of the banking website being hosted in Lithuania, obviously FlagFox showed the Lithuanian flag, so she knew immediately that there was an issue.

tardytortoise

if you and your mum share the same google account and you are using the … if you and your mum share the same google account and you are using the google browser then being able to see each others work in progress is "normal" but I can understand how worrying it can be when you notice it for the first time. It is a feature aimed at those people who use a multitude of devices during their busy lives. There may be some settings tweak where you can turn the feature off.

When I've navigated to the contact us page I can see the message that my … When I've navigated to the contact us page I can see the message that my mum attempted to send to them earlier this afternoon to query the order she placed. How is that possible given that she's used a completely different device?

makes no difference where the 2 of you live. i am responding to your original question

What matters is whether you are sharing the same google account - not where you live.
    In the old days, some data was stored on the device - but increasingly these days data is stored in the cloud. What you are seeing is data stored in that cloud.

But having said that - some very old fashioned poorly built websites can behave the way you have described - not clearing down, emptying data, when ever the web page is closed. Of course it may have been built in such a way as it would clear down data from the device storage - but not from cloud storage.

Anyway - best of luck getting it all sorted.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions