Found 7th Nov 2005
Hi there

I'm thinking of setting up a Website Hosting Cooperative and i'm wondering if anyone would be interested in signing up

payments would vary from as much as £8 a month to as low as £2 a month

With this you would get:
PHP / MYsql (unlimited databases)
Perl and C scripting
SSI
anti virus
anti spam
Pop3/webmail (possible IMAP) unlimited
possible JSP hosting
around 100mb space, could be more though
possible unlimited bandwidth

there's lots of other features, and i'm trying to get an impression of what people would like

basically the price scheme would be monthly rental divided by number of people

the more people, the cheaper the monthly cost to you, but the less disk space/bandwidth you would have. I intend to make the whole plan as transparent as possible, and form some kind of community, so everyone knows everyone

if you're interested please post here rather than a private message so others can benefit from the q&a

thanks for looking

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

Sounds good. It'd be good if we could kinda choose a bandwidth package so that we only get as much space as we need, for example in lots of 10Mb so some people can have just what they need and some can have more.

I may have thought about signing up, but I have loads of space on my AOL hosting now, and can get .co.uk domains for £2 per year. I'm sure others would jump at the chance though.

Sounds a good idea but the webhosting reseller market is pretty tough as it is?

I've got a few sites with webmania.co.uk/

£20 a year (+vat) which gives you...

* 500MB of disk space
* 6GB of data transfer per month
* Frontpage extensions version 2002
* Unlimited POP3 [email protected]
* Unlimited mail forwarding [email protected]
* Webmail for POP3 accounts
* Email is filtered for Spam and Viruses
* Unlimited subdomains of your domain name
e.g. subdomain.yourdomain.com/
* CGI-BIN directory
* Control Panel
* Perl 5
* PHP 4
* SSI (server side includes)
* MySQL Database
* phpMyAdmin for MySQL management
* SSH access
* Full FTP access
* Detailed visitor statistics
* Close control downflow air conditioning units.
* UPS system and Generator back-up

Have you got close ties with a hosting/isp company then to get a better deal? Or do you have your own server(s) hosted somewhere already?
I'm all for cheaper hosting options!

I paid 99 quid/year for 500MB Linux hosting (inc 5 MySQL DBs) + 30GB traffic (and yes, I really needed that much!). I can post details of hoster here, as long as it doesn't upset the community

Original Poster

Well JSP hosting i know is expensive, so that's one of the main features you probably wont find elsewhere.

Also, IMAP email access is also a lot less common but i believe better as i access the net from many different locations

Scrooge, thanks for the website, i was being conservative with my first post as there are a few options i might go with, all of which offer better options i'm afraid, thanks again tho

i'm more interested in people that are interested in a larger hosting package but at a cheaper price, that's the market i'm aiming for. I know pretty much everyone has some free webspace somewhere, but it's so limited sometimes

What i'm going to offer is a package you would normally pay a lot more for, something around 3-4 times cheaper, but by working together as a cooperative we split the cost of the better packages on offer.

Thanks again for all the help, and please feel free to post more, preferably if you're interested in some hosting with a lot less limits than you would normally

i forgot to mention there would be no contracts to tie you in, you simply would pay in advance for each month

Why not offer reseller packages Reaps? I think that would be more of a reason to form a cooperative rather than just "one domain and account" hosting. Then people could set up unlimited domains and have much more control over things.

The first web hosting I ever used was a concept just like you are trying to work out. A bunch of people from a forum who got together and combined resources to get a dedicated server.

The only thing I have to say is that whoever is going to be server admin is in for a lot of headaches

Another good host I've had good experiences with is [url]www.nearlyfreespeech.net[/url]

USA based but can be very cost effective depending on your requirements.

[url]www.1and1.co.uk[/url] - .co.uk domains £1.99 per year.

Original Poster

I appreciate all the info about hosting packages but i'm really more interested in finding out if anyone would be interested in an account

it's hard to explain what i'm offering, basically you'd be paying the price of a really cheap hosting package, but you'd be getting the features of a really expensive hosting package (unlimited bandwidth, unlimited pop3/imap accounts, unlimited ftp, a whole lot more webspace... 100mb probably being the very minimum, hopefuly more like 200mb to as much as 500mb).

I'm even offering to do all the hard work of managing this whole project, saving you a lot of hard work (as i'm sure admin will agree with)

I really think this can succeed, and the more people I get involved, the cheaper it becomes for everyone.

Let me know if you would like an account, and then if i get enough interest, i'll start the wheels rolling

Reaps

I appreciate all the info about hosting packages but i'm really more … I appreciate all the info about hosting packages but i'm really more interested in finding out if anyone would be interested in an accountit's hard to explain what i'm offering, basically you'd be paying the price of a really cheap hosting package, but you'd be getting the features of a really expensive hosting package (unlimited bandwidth, unlimited pop3/imap accounts, unlimited ftp, a whole lot more webspace... 100mb probably being the very minimum, hopefuly more like 200mb to as much as 500mb).

bottom line is you'll be competing with all the other packages out there hence the comparisons. A projected starting price and list of services would be a good starting point? Then I presume you'll work out a price tier based on the uptake?

If I was looking to move hosts I want to know how much it's going to cost and what I'm going to get! Will you have an SLA?

Original Poster

scrooge

bottom line is you'll be competing with all the other packages out there … bottom line is you'll be competing with all the other packages out there hence the comparisons. A projected starting price and list of services would be a good starting point? Then I presume you'll work out a price tier based on the uptake?If I was looking to move hosts I want to know how much it's going to cost and what I'm going to get! Will you have an SLA?

Sorry i phrased my last post slightly wrong, at this stage i'm only trying to guage interest in the project. I'm not trying to setup a hosting business, just trying to organise some people together to benefit from a larger hosting package, e.g. 10 people sharing a large package would work out better than each person having hosting on their own

The SLA would be from the hosting company i have an agreement with, and they would be responsible for all the actual hosting

Please understand, i'm not looking to make money from this, just thought it would be a good idea. By working together we can get better hosting for cheaper

Original Poster

Ok i've put together a VERY ROUGH pricing scheme for the host with JSP support (normally very expensive)
bandwidth, email accounts, ftp, mysql dbs, etc etc are all unlimited, 1 domain each (you can have more if you pay more of a share)

PRICES INC VAT!

People - Cost/Month - Disk Space
2 - £10.50 - 500mb
3 - £7.00 - 333mb
4 - £5.25 - 250mb
5 - £4.20 - 200mb
6 - £3.50 - 166mb
7 - £3.00 - 142mb
8 - £2.63 - 125mb
9 - £2.34 - 111mb
10 - £2.10 - 100mb

Another host without JSP will be about the same price, but double the disk space, and add on IMAP email as well (very useful i think) (bandwidth is limited tho)

anyway, let me know what you guys think, and be nice remember i'm just trying to help people here
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Hi all does anyone have an idea for n what a good price for a sun room / ex…11
    2. Consumer Rights - Wrong Description of Fridge22
    3. Headphones for Ps4?11
    4. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?1019

See more discussions