Groups

Website hosting,help needed please

Hi all,basically I am looking to set up a small business website and am after a bit of advice as to the hosting side of things.I have allready bought the domain name but have no idea what road to go down as to the hosting.I have looked on google and got a few ideas,but also whilst looking around ebay last night I noticed you can also buy hosting on there,but would this be any good?An example of one I looked at was 5 years hosting for £3.99(seems to good to be true?),maybe somone with a bit of knowledge on this subject could look at the following item number on ebay and give me their comments...........180537459003.
    As allways,thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

25 Comments

Must have bought too many of those, but only a single one still now works - from what i've seen mostly, they promise you the earth to get your money, in time they will disappear, and your data most probably be lost - can't get money back neither via paypal.

They either stop working quickly or is really slow. if you intend to run a business, its important to establish decent and professional first impression, and if your site is unreliable, or slow, you could figure...

trust your instinct

I would say £3.99 for 5 years is a bit much! I use this site freehostia.com/ and they are free. You need to click on a button once every year to renew your subscription, but that is it. I have had an account with them for a few years now, and I used to use them to show demo's of sites to clients (I used to be a web developer.) It really depends on how much traffic you are expecting to your site, and how complex the site itself is.

Original Poster

hooray290

I would say £3.99 for 5 years is a bit much! I use this site … I would say £3.99 for 5 years is a bit much! I use this site http://freehostia.com/ and they are free. You need to click on a button once every year to renew your subscription, but that is it. I have had an account with them for a few years now, and I used to use them to show demo's of sites to clients (I used to be a web developer.) It really depends on how much traffic you are expecting to your site, and how complex the site itself is.

Hi thanks for the reply.I'm not expecting a great deal of traffic,its basically going to be a basic website for a driving school(should have put that in my first post!).The mainthing I'm looking for is to be able to set site up fairly stress free(I'm a complete novice on this)and be able to get it on google's search engine to get noticed.

I can get you UK hosting for £15 per annum... unlimited email address e.g. [email protected]mydomain.com... You will need to supply a domain name of your choice.

There are hundreds of free web hosts including webs.com, freehostia, officelive, wix.com, moonfruit, 110mb.com if it you want free.

edit: £3.99 for 5 years hosting is way to cheap, to good to be true imho
    Edited by: "faevilangel" 29th Jul 2010

Are you going to want the pages to change without your input? If so then you will need a database (MySQL), and the website written in a scripting language (eg: PHP or ASP) If you just want some static pages with your contact details and a map to your location then your website can be written in plain old HTML and CSS and will not need anything like as complicated as the server in the eBay listing. Where did you register your domain name? The easiest thing to do would be to sign up to a free hosting site, and use your domain registrar to forward to the hosting address.

ukwomble

The mainthing I'm looking for is to be able to set site up fairly stress … The mainthing I'm looking for is to be able to set site up fairly stress free(I'm a complete novice on this)and be able to get it on google's search engine to get noticed.

In my opinion, using a free host won't get you high on Mr G's pages, and the web builders are really poor code wise. Depends if you have a budget, get a pro to throw up a simple site for you, or learn the code (more satisafaction but takes time).

Original Poster

hooray290

Are you going to want the pages to change without your input? If so then … Are you going to want the pages to change without your input? If so then you will need a database (MySQL), and the website written in a scripting language (eg: PHP or ASP) If you just want some static pages with your contact details and a map to your location then your website can be written in plain old HTML and CSS and will not need anything like as complicated as the server in the eBay listing. Where did you register your domain name? The easiest thing to do would be to sign up to a free hosting site, and use your domain registrar to forward to the hosting address.

Hi again,and thanks for taking time to reply.I registered the domain with UK2.net.I'll apologise in advance for this,but when you mention SQL and scripts etc. I have no idea what that means lol,so I guess I'm looking more to HTML(more like using word etc?)

ukwomble

Hi again,and thanks for taking time to reply.I registered the domain with … Hi again,and thanks for taking time to reply.I registered the domain with UK2.net.I'll apologise in advance for this,but when you mention SQL and scripts etc. I have no idea what that means lol,so I guess I'm looking more to HTML(more like using word etc?)

I wouldn't worry about anything like that. Just get a html & css website up. The only time you need sql is when using databases to populate data (which you won't need for a basic website).

Original Poster

faevilangel

In my opinion, using a free host won't get you high on Mr G's pages, and … In my opinion, using a free host won't get you high on Mr G's pages, and the web builders are really poor code wise. Depends if you have a budget, get a pro to throw up a simple site for you, or learn the code (more satisafaction but takes time).

Thats what worries me about a free site,that although it will be on the web,no one will see it.There is another listing on ebay for a website which is basically the way I would like mine to look when I've finished it(maybe without so much content though)The listing number for this is 320566750185. If you have a chance to look at this,it allows you to click a link in the listing to show how website would look.Thanks again for your help,soory to be such a clueless wally

faevilangel

I wouldn't worry about anything like that. Just get a html & css website … I wouldn't worry about anything like that. Just get a html & css website up. The only time you need sql is when using databases to populate data (which you won't need for a basic website).

I agree with this, you probably do not need anything too complicated for this kind of website. I would suggest using a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML editor. It simply allows you to place items on a page without any knowledge of how the HTML works. I know there are lots of free ones available, but I have not used any before so don't know what to recommend. Try googling one, or alternatively find a pro to do it. This kind of website only takes 1-2 hours to build, so don't look at paying more than £20-£30.

ukwomble

Thats what worries me about a free site,that although it will be on the … Thats what worries me about a free site,that although it will be on the web,no one will see it.There is another listing on ebay for a website which is basically the way I would like mine to look when I've finished it(maybe without so much content though)The listing number for this is 320566750185. If you have a chance to look at this,it allows you to click a link in the listing to show how website would look.Thanks again for your help,soory to be such a clueless wally

I will try and explain my reasons below without any tech speak, but do ask if you don't understand anything.

I would never tell anyone to buy a package like that for the following reasons:
    1) It's a mass produced design, so your site will look like hundreds of others
    2) The code is so outdated, even Google won't read it (use frames)
    3) There is no optimisation e.g.Google won't see the site, won't index it and won't rank it
    4) It's about £70 too dear.

The above is my opinion from my experience. Honestly the best way is to either learn to build yourself (http://www.w3schools.com) or pay someone to do it for you. The site in that auction will be a useless site, it might be useful for the pdf documents training modules?

hooray290

This kind of website only takes 1-2 hours to build, so don't look at … This kind of website only takes 1-2 hours to build, so don't look at paying more than £20-£30.

You might get an indian to do it for that price, if your really lucky. UK web designers normally charge £20-£60 an HOUR. 2 hours would just about get a design brief done. I would estimate for 4 page website £150.

ukwomble

Thats what worries me about a free site,that although it will be on the … Thats what worries me about a free site,that although it will be on the web,no one will see it.There is another listing on ebay for a website which is basically the way I would like mine to look when I've finished it(maybe without so much content though)The listing number for this is 320566750185. If you have a chance to look at this,it allows you to click a link in the listing to show how website would look.Thanks again for your help,soory to be such a clueless wally

Ah I see. It might take a little longer than 1-2 hours for one like that, but not by much. That site is not very well designed, I would suggest £50 max for that one, or if you were looking to pay £100, look for something a bit better.

Original Poster

faevilangel

I will try and explain my reasons below without any tech speak, but do … I will try and explain my reasons below without any tech speak, but do ask if you don't understand anything.I would never tell anyone to buy a package like that for the following reasons:1) It's a mass produced design, so your site will look like hundreds of others2) The code is so outdated, even Google won't read it (use frames)3) There is no optimisation e.g.Google won't see the site, won't index it and won't rank it4) It's about £70 too dear.The above is my opinion from my experience. Honestly the best way is to either learn to build yourself (http://www.w3schools.com) or pay someone to do it for you. The site in that auction will be a useless site, it might be useful for the pdf documents training modules?

Yes I totally agree with you on that,as I noticed that I would be unable to change any of the content,therefore wouldn't be able to change things to enable SEO's I would assume.The site itself has the basic look I would like to end up with,so nothing to fancy,but as I said before the main thing is to be able to be found on a google search,otherwise it would be pointless having a site.

ukwomble

Yes I totally agree with you on that,as I noticed that I would be unable … Yes I totally agree with you on that,as I noticed that I would be unable to change any of the content,therefore wouldn't be able to change things to enable SEO's I would assume.The site itself has the basic look I would like to end up with,so nothing to fancy,but as I said before the main thing is to be able to be found on a google search,otherwise it would be pointless having a site.

Best way, work out what you can afford to pay and approach a website designer who knows what they are doing.
    I have to go out but if you send me a PM I will send you a questionnaire I use, which will help you decide what you want from your website and give the web designer you choose all the info they need.

Original Poster

faevilangel

Best way, work out what you can afford to pay and approach a website … Best way, work out what you can afford to pay and approach a website designer who knows what they are doing. I have to go out but if you send me a PM I will send you a questionnaire I use, which will help you decide what you want from your website and give the web designer you choose all the info they need.

PM sent,many thanks.

try wordpress

Original Poster

Quicklite

try wordpress

Thanks for this and all your other replies,just been looking at wordpress also,its a minefield out there when you havn't got a clue like me lol.

Banned

Waste of £3.99

Its just a reseller account and the performance will be crap

They're resellers for Heart Internet. Heart themselves aren't a bad host but if you want their hosting buy directly from them instead of from this reseller.

eBay sellers are just looking for easy money and don't have a clue what they're doing. They just put together a quick shoddy website and call themselves a "firm". I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's just some 13 year old kid using his mums eBay account. You'll probably find that many spam sites (already found a couple of Russian sites on that same server) will probably using the same hosting and will degrade performance for you significantly as Faevil already mentioned, your site will perform poorly on Google too.

Even for a tenner a year you'll find decent hosting for a small business site such as your own.
    As for the full website, I know FaevilAngel from Web Designer Forum and can say that his work is pretty good if you want to get in touch with the guy and get your site done by him (no I don't have any form of affiliation with him!)

If you're looking for reliable and decent hosting stay well away from eBay. Had SO many stories of people who bought from there and within a few weeks the host was gone with their money, their site was dead and their SEO rankings ruined. No doubt there's a few legit businesses trying to boost their businesses on there, but I'd bet a good 99% are just resellers without a clue.
    Edited by: "MrBrightside1987" 30th Jul 2010

MrBrightside1987

They're resellers for Heart Internet. Heart themselves aren't a bad … They're resellers for Heart Internet. Heart themselves aren't a bad host but if you want their hosting buy directly from them instead of from this reseller.eBay sellers are just looking for easy money and don't have a clue what they're doing. They just put together a quick shoddy website and call themselves a "firm". I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's just some 13 year old kid using his mums eBay account. You'll probably find that many spam sites (already found a couple of Russian sites on that same server) will probably using the same hosting and will degrade performance for you significantly as Faevil already mentioned, your site will perform poorly on Google too.Even for a tenner a year you'll find decent hosting for a small business site such as your own.As for the full website, I know FaevilAngel from Web Designer Forum and can say that his work is pretty good if you want to get in touch with the guy and get your site done by him (no I don't have any form of affiliation with him!)If you're looking for reliable and decent hosting stay well away from eBay. Had SO many stories of people who bought from there and within a few weeks the host was gone with their money, their site was dead and their SEO rankings ruined. No doubt there's a few legit businesses trying to boost their businesses on there, but I'd bet a good 99% are just resellers without a clue.

Hey Dude, Long time no speak! Hows things?

Totally agree, pay a bit more and get a better experience. Unfortunately this is a deals site and people will go on price rather than reliability.

I have sorted the OP out with some hosting and given him some advice with the best way to utilise his site and marketing.

I signed up for a Dreamhost deal a while ago. Unlimited hosting with free domain for about 6 quid. Its really a bargain - speed is lower than London server, but stuill good consider they are in America. Like quite a few bigger hosting companies - they comes with wordpress one click installer. Great if you dont want to mess with technical stuff. Beauty of wordpress is, is absolutely free, you don't need programming knowhow to use. It helps, but the graphic UI is really easy to use - plenty of free templates too. Even some site designers integrate it into their design. Some so well you couldn't tell.

Here are some examples of WP sites:

Eg1
    Eg2
    Eg3
    There are rarely fast servers on eBay - managed to get one to do 20mb up and down via ftp. The only problem was, control panel, along with the company just ... disappeared. The site is still fine though.

Don't worry about the ranking. You need a site first, SEO is secondary - it could be done well via wordpress plugins, backlinking, etc.

Edited by: "Quicklite" 30th Jul 2010

Original Poster

MrBrightside1987

They're resellers for Heart Internet. Heart themselves aren't a bad host … They're resellers for Heart Internet. Heart themselves aren't a bad host but if you want their hosting buy directly from them instead of from this reseller.eBay sellers are just looking for easy money and don't have a clue what they're doing. They just put together a quick shoddy website and call themselves a "firm". I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's just some 13 year old kid using his mums eBay account. You'll probably find that many spam sites (already found a couple of Russian sites on that same server) will probably using the same hosting and will degrade performance for you significantly as Faevil already mentioned, your site will perform poorly on Google too.Even for a tenner a year you'll find decent hosting for a small business site such as your own.As for the full website, I know FaevilAngel from Web Designer Forum and can say that his work is pretty good if you want to get in touch with the guy and get your site done by him (no I don't have any form of affiliation with him!)If you're looking for reliable and decent hosting stay well away from eBay. Had SO many stories of people who bought from there and within a few weeks the host was gone with their money, their site was dead and their SEO rankings ruined. No doubt there's a few legit businesses trying to boost their businesses on there, but I'd bet a good 99% are just resellers without a clue.

Thanks for reply,I havn't checked back here for couple of days so sorry for late reply.Faevilangel has got me setup with hosting and he has been amazing with his help with getting a site setup,I'd agree with you 100% that he really knows his stuff and he is a top bloke!

Original Poster

Quicklite

I signed up for a Dreamhost deal a while ago. Unlimited hosting with free … I signed up for a Dreamhost deal a while ago. Unlimited hosting with free domain for about 6 quid. Its really a bargain - speed is lower than London server, but stuill good consider they are in America. Like quite a few bigger hosting companies - they comes with wordpress one click installer. Great if you dont want to mess with technical stuff. Beauty of wordpress is, is absolutely free, you don't need programming knowhow to use. It helps, but the graphic UI is really easy to use - plenty of free templates too. Even some site designers integrate it into their design. Some so well you couldn't tell.Here are some examples of WP sites:Eg1Eg2Eg3There are rarely fast servers on eBay - managed to get one to do 20mb up and down via ftp. The only problem was, control panel, along with the company just ... disappeared. The site is still fine though. Don't worry about the ranking. You need a site first, SEO is secondary - it could be done well via wordpress plugins, backlinking, etc.

Thanks Quicklite,I'm just in the process of setting site up with wordpress now(well,I'm following a step by step guide kindly being provided by Faevilangel).As for the links you posted,they look fantastic,but in reality I can only dream lol.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
      2. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66
      3. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work77
      4. Jeremy Corbyn #traingate1317

See more discussions