Wedding Songs... Any suggestions??

Hi All,

Im starting to plan my big day for next year.. No dates set yet as were still in the very early stages. However from the expereince of planning my sister's wedding i know how quickly time flies by. I want to put a selection of songs together for our first dance. Any ideas would be welcomed. I dont want anything too soppy as im soooo sensitive by nature i'd probably break down... not a good look for a wedding day. LOL

Look forward to hearing your suggestions folks!

PS : If anybody has any other advice on preparing a wedding... im all ears!

Thanks again! x x x

45 Comments

One advice, Be calm and not stressed with family.

Original Poster

strike;2863803

I wish I could.... Im already having acupuncture because my chinese doctor says im very stressed out and its affecting my spine causing me back ache :cry:

I can suggest my song " Closest thing to Heaven " by lionel ritchie.
It may take a few listens to love it as hubby hated it at first but was glad i put my foot down.
Its just perfect for a first dance and in 1998 when i got wed it was very original as it had just charted at no.34 in teh UK charts 6 weeks before.
Everyone commented how beautiful the song was and how perfect for a first dance.
I liek being different and people still say they never heard this again.

youtube.com/wat…dOk
If you dont like this you could try you tube and spending time lsitening to lionel ritchie, luther vandross people like that songs as im sure theres many from their albums people havent heard or dont remember but taht will be just perfect

We had Aerosmith - I don't wanna miss a thing.

Good luck with it all - don't get too stressed, its a day to enjoy.:friends:

Original Poster

strike;2863803

DIVA1977;2863832

I can suggest my song " Closest thing to Heaven " by lionel ritchie.It … I can suggest my song " Closest thing to Heaven " by lionel ritchie.It may take a few listens to love it as hubby hated it at first but was glad i put my foot down.Its just perfect for a first dance and in 1998 when i got wed it was very original as it had just charted at no.34 in teh UK charts 6 weeks before.Everyone commented how beautiful the song was and how perfect for a first dance.I liek being different and people still say they never heard this again.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH4hgv-vdOkIf you dont like this you could try you tube and spending time lsitening to lionel ritchie, luther vandross people like that songs as im sure theres many from their albums people havent heard or dont remember but taht will be just perfect

Great Suggestion.... I love the golden oldies. I'm gonna grab my notebook. Thanks again. If you think of anymore, please keep posting as i will keep checking back! :friends:

Original Poster

paddytat;2863848

We had Aerosmith - I don't wanna miss a thing.Good luck with it all - … We had Aerosmith - I don't wanna miss a thing.Good luck with it all - don't get too stressed, its a day to enjoy.:friends:

Great Song.... But i think i need something a little less rocky. Most of my family are indian so the "whole first dance thing" is very new to indian weddings.

Original Poster

paddytat;2863848

We had Aerosmith - I don't wanna miss a thing.Good luck with it all - … We had Aerosmith - I don't wanna miss a thing.Good luck with it all - don't get too stressed, its a day to enjoy.:friends:

Thanks for your support :friends:

Everything I do, I do it for you. Think its Bryan Adams - lovely song :~)
Hope all goes well !!!!!!!!!!

Original Poster

buzylizzie;2863933

Everything I do, I do it for you. Think its Bryan Adams - lovely song … Everything I do, I do it for you. Think its Bryan Adams - lovely song :~)Hope all goes well !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Original Poster

jellybaby22;2863961

hope it all goes great for you...dont get too stressed out and remember … hope it all goes great for you...dont get too stressed out and remember to enjoy your day.....best of luck :friends:

Thank you!

Original Poster

jellybaby22;2863961

hope it all goes great for you...dont get too stressed out and remember … hope it all goes great for you...dont get too stressed out and remember to enjoy your day.....best of luck :friends:

Thank You!

joan armatrading
love & affection

she sang this at glastonbury this year - 29years later still as brilliant as ever
youtube.com/wat…jMI

Always - Bon Jovi

OR this just in case it goes pear shaped :whistling:
youtube.com/wat…Xmo :w00t:

Banned

Always look on the bright side of life, by monty python

toshapetriji;2864437

lol,

depends if u wanna be stereotypical or look for something with words that you want to mean alot if u know what i mean.

common ones are,

amazed - lonestar
bryan adams - everything i do
shania twain - from this moment on

perhaps look for something modern ish, early 2000's or late 90's love songs are ones that people havent heard for a while, again if u know what i mean. try to get something that you love, that means alot, but not too mainstream.

Original Poster

toshapetriji;2864437

What are you trying to suggest? LOL

Original Poster

aircanman;2864469

lol, depends if u wanna be stereotypical or look for something with words … lol, depends if u wanna be stereotypical or look for something with words that you want to mean alot if u know what i mean. common ones are, amazed - lonestarbryan adams - everything i doshania twain - from this moment onperhaps look for something modern ish, early 2000's or late 90's love songs are ones that people havent heard for a while, again if u know what i mean. try to get something that you love, that means alot, but not too mainstream.

Great advice... Many thanks! keep posting if you think of anymore :thumbsup:

i got married in feb this year and had Amazed by lonestar lovely words:thumbsup:

Original Poster

julie 2;2864900

i got married in feb this year and had Amazed by lonestar lovely … i got married in feb this year and had Amazed by lonestar lovely words:thumbsup:

Congratulations! :friends: I think I may need to listen to that song... I don't remeber the words!

Here are some interesting statistics from people after the big day.

They were published in St. Louis Bride and Groom magazine 2003. Sources includes Simmons, 2001; USA Today, 2002; National Bridal service, 2001; The Knot, 2002; Brides Magazine, 2001.

What people said AFTER the wedding day:
72% of all brides say they would have spent more time choosing their reception entertainment
Almost 100% said they would have spent more of their budget on the entertainment
78% of brides say they would have made the entertainment their highest priority
81% of guest say the thing they remember the most about a reception is the entertainment

Aside from the music I think the very best wedding entertainment for both children and adults is magic. I do admit to some bias being a wedding magician, but seriously I'm told over and over how it has been the making of the day.

i had daniel bedingfield if you're not the one. been married for 5 and a half years. hope you have a truly amazing day, just be ready to feel down afterwards coz you take a very long time preparing for one day which seems to go by faster than you can imagine. good luck :-D

I also had Aerosmith "Dont want to miss a thing" only cause hubby said it reminds him of taking our son home from the hospital after he was born. What about Madness "Must be love" or "For a moment like this" think her from x factor sang it but there are better versions.

amydevaney;2865074

I also had Aerosmith "Dont want to miss a thing" only cause hubby said it … I also had Aerosmith "Dont want to miss a thing" only cause hubby said it reminds him of taking our son home from the hospital after he was born. What about Madness "Must be love" or "For a moment like this" think her from x factor sang it but there are better versions.

We got married in Disney and had 'a whole new world' but for our reception at home we also had aerosmith, 'don't want to miss a thing'. A popular choice :thumbsup:

I got married last year and for our first dance we had Al Green - Let's stay together.

It's a really cool, soulful song with great lyrics without being cheesey.

My advice for the big day is to try and take a step back at some point in the day to absorb everything that's happening. We had a fabulous day but it's all a big blur in my memory now!
Lots of luck and enjoy your special day.

i love lonestar the words are amazing

Endless love by lionel richie is also lovely . . . .

its your party and you can cry if you want to! :thumbsup:

Every time our eyes meet
This feeling inside me
Is almost more than I can take
Baby when you touch me
I can feel how much you love me
And it just blows me away
I've never been this close
to anyone or anything
I can hear your thoughts
I can see your dreams

I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by you

The smell of your skin
The taste of your kiss
The way you whisper in the dark
Your hair all around me
Baby you surround me
You touch every place in my heart
Oh it feels like the
first time every time
I wanna spend the whole
night in your eyes

I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Baby I'm amazed by you

I'm so in love with you
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Oh, every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by you

Amazed by lonestar lyrics HTH!!

teenage wedding by chuck berry :whistling:
good luck for your big day

Original Poster

Aimee1985;2865821

We got married in Disney and had 'a whole new world' but for our … We got married in Disney and had 'a whole new world' but for our reception at home we also had aerosmith, 'don't want to miss a thing'. A popular choice :thumbsup:

Really??? How amazing! I love Disney World. Must of been so magical

Original Poster

Ok Guys... the latest contenders so far...

Always & Forever - Luther Vandross OR Finally Found Someone - Bryan Adams and Barbara Streissand.

What do you wreckon? Keep the post coming as I'm still deciding!

Thanks again!

We went to a wedding fair yesterday and have booked the best entertainment act ever for our wedding in 82 days, but shhhhh it's a secret act (Bloody expensive at £700,but anyway....)

We have a fake guest, he'll pretent to know me or h2b. He just blends in and behaves, it's nothing tacky. We have a harpist to play music during the ceremony (cost £250)

A close up magician to entertain guests whilst photos are being taken (cost £250)

Then, after the meal has been served, and while the dishes are being cleared away, there is always that lull while the evening entertainment is set up and the evening guests arrive and dinner settles etc. Well, one of the waiters who has been working hard all afternoon, chatting to guests etc takes a mic to address some complaints that he has had about some of the wine served. He then bursts into song, full opera stylee Then, in his next song, the fake guest who has fully mingled with the other guests, had his dinner and whatever, whips a radio mic out of his inside suit pocket and bursts into song too. Then, when the gusts have got over that, one of the waitresses who has been standing and staring and laughing joins in too, they then get guests singing along and dancing. I think it'll be great, I really don't think we'll look back and say we didn't do enough entertaining Website here [url]www.cameoflage.net[/url]

We've also taught ourselves to waltz for our first dance so we can glide around the ballroom floor in our castle, the we're having a disco and a buffet. Then we'll probably have to file for bankruptcy lol

Banned

She just blends in and behaves, it's nothing tacky.

Thanks for the invite

tessb;2868646

We went to a wedding fair yesterday and have booked the best … We went to a wedding fair yesterday and have booked the best entertainment act ever for our wedding in 82 days, but shhhhh it's a secret act (Bloody expensive at £700,but anyway....)We have a fake guest, he'll pretent to know me or h2b. He just blends in and behaves, it's nothing tacky. We have a harpist to play music during the ceremony (cost £250)A close up magician to entertain guests whilst photos are being taken (cost £250)Then, after the meal has been served, and while the dishes are being cleared away, there is always that lull while the evening entertainment is set up and the evening guests arrive and dinner settles etc. Well, one of the waiters who has been working hard all afternoon, chatting to guests etc takes a mic to address some complaints that he has had about some of the wine served. He then bursts into song, full opera stylee Then, in his next song, the fake guest who has fully mingled with the other guests, had his dinner and whatever, whips a radio mic out of his inside suit pocket and bursts into song too. Then, when the gusts have got over that, one of the waitresses who has been standing and staring and laughing joins in too, they then get guests singing along and dancing. I think it'll be great, I really don't think we'll look back and say we didn't do enough entertaining Website here [url]www.cameoflage.net[/url] We've also taught ourselves to waltz for our first dance so we can glide around the ballroom floor in our castle, the we're having a disco and a buffet. Then we'll probably have to file for bankruptcy lol

That sounds fantastic!! Will make it a day to remember, good luck and al best wishes for a happy future together :-D

Back to the original question............

We had (DJ chose, so we had no idea of what 'our' song would be!) Foreigner - Waiting for a girl like you. Back in August, 1984 :-D

jtx;2864116

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqiw-Kqtlr0

Still think you won't top this;-)

jtx;2869610

Still think you won't top this;-)

:giggle: that was sooooooooo cool!!!

DLM;2868656

She just blends in and behaves, it's nothing tacky.Thanks for the invite … She just blends in and behaves, it's nothing tacky.Thanks for the invite

You didn't read the bit about having to get up and sing (in tune) and amuse guest after dinner - or did you :whistling:

suze;2868750

Back to the original question............We had (DJ chose, so we had no … Back to the original question............We had (DJ chose, so we had no idea of what 'our' song would be!) Foreigner - Waiting for a girl like you. Back in August, 1984 :-D

Part of the original question was "PS : If anybody has any other advice on preparing a wedding... im all ears!"
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio11
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764199
    3. WWE SummerSlam 2017 discussion thread!11
    4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1523

See more discussions