Wedding tips and tricks

Found 11th May
Hey guys,

Basically looking for all those wanna be wedding planners out there to give me some tips and advice.

Getting Married 6th June next year and thought maybe was the time to start getting all the little odd bits organised (Really should have started sooner).

So the package that we have includes the cars, cake, meals and so on so fourth.

We want the wedding favours to be personalised but not too expensive (every penny is a prisoner) and we were thinking of personalising M&M's on their website and buying clear pouches and putting them out.

Anyone have great cost saving ideas?

Also, does anyone know any good website that does invitations for a good price?

Any other wedding ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
If you’re really fixed on the m&m’s wedding favours, see if any discount codes on here are working HUKD, Alternatively they’re currently doing 15% off using generic code FLASHBLUE-UK.
personally I Like the personalised heart shaped biscuit idea, you could make them in advance and put a ribbon through them etc and then place in a clear bag.
haha Im getting Married 22nd June next year

Tbh all I have found that people want to charge more because you said wedding I used vita print and created our own "save the dates" (what is the point in that grrrrr) and will use the same to design our own. THat wasnot bad. I use a site called Joy where you can get people to log in, accept or declne and spcify any allergies, if they are stay, if they need transport etc. Little easier to managed (currently got 107 people coming).

basically, google the hell outta it! or at least thats what im doing ha!
Toptrumpet10 m ago

If you’re really fixed on the m&m’s wedding favours, see if any discount co …If you’re really fixed on the m&m’s wedding favours, see if any discount codes on here are working HUKD, Alternatively they’re currently doing 15% off using generic code FLASHBLUE-UK.personally I Like the personalised heart shaped biscuit idea, you could make them in advance and put a ribbon through them etc and then place in a clear bag.

The M&M idea is my partners, she is stubborn and wont budge haha. Personally I wanted to do something simple and a little stupid.

My idea was to have a scratchcard placed for everyone with a note beside saying "I was lucky to find the one I love now let's hope the drinks are on you"

Would be fun seeing who wins and stuff.

darthvader666uk10 m ago

haha Im getting Married 22nd June next year Tbh all I have found that …haha Im getting Married 22nd June next year Tbh all I have found that people want to charge more because you said wedding I used vita print and created our own "save the dates" (what is the point in that grrrrr) and will use the same to design our own. THat wasnot bad. I use a site called Joy where you can get people to log in, accept or declne and spcify any allergies, if they are stay, if they need transport etc. Little easier to managed (currently got 107 people coming).basically, google the hell outta it! or at least thats what im doing ha!

Vistaprint is the place I have been looking at so far. Can get my invites done for about £80 or there abouts which I think is actually ok. Less than what I budgeted for anyone but you know what it's like, always wanna save a little more.

I feel like I am so behind only starting things at this point but also keep thinking to myself its ok got tons of time haha
My brother bought everyone at their wedding scratch cards, nobody won anything big but a couple of people won £20. It's a nice gesture nonetheless. Hope the wedding planning goes well for you! Don't stress too much. Be selfish! Haha
We bought some purple bags, big bags of wrapped sweets online cheap and just put them in ourselves. Much cheaper.

For kids (to keep them entertained ) we went to a couple of discount stores and got colouring books/pencils etc think that cost about £3-4 per child but were quite generous vs other weddings we have been too.

Printing, got wife’s brother to put together a design and sent it to a printing company in the US, think our invites with some spares cost about £35 inc shipping.

As we have a house and lots of stuff already we asked people to kindly donate some cash towards the honey moon whatever they wanted really and hired a post box from our cake lady for £15 for them to put the cards into (it was painted white). A few people bought us wine/champagne we didn’t mind that, just didn’t want more cups/plates/pans as we have it all already.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 11th May
We had a steampunk themed wedding.
My wife being a big fan of bunnies and me being a fan of transformers...

Our favours comprised of 2nd had Sylvanian family bunnies customised with little steampunk outfits for the ladies and little transformer lego figures for the gents!

Yes. We were nerdy with it.
But a lot of our stuff was handmade.

We borrowed a guillotine and cut out multiple wedding invites out of card. Bought some rubber stamps from ebay and an ink kit and created the invites ourselves.

We also got a basic plain wedding cake from M&S and decorated it ourselves using moulds for chocolate also bought from ebay.
All good fun and certainly made us feel like we were making something unique for our special day.
I bought miniature alcohol bottles for the men with a shot glass. The wife got the woman Yankee candles with sweets, all in a nice bag with ribbons and a poem. It was relatively cheap, remember you get bits n bobs nearer the time so it spreads the cost.
Sounds silly, but nearer the time they amend/adjust your wedding package. We were paying too much, so rather than cut stuff back, we added extras on for our guests. Supposedly that's pretty common? So double check with your organiser nearer the time.

One tip, obvious, remember this will be the quickest day of both your lives. Take 5 mins once everyone is in, fed, drunk and enjoying themselves lol. Sit with the new wife and soak it up. That was when it hit me, I thought wow, we pulled this off!!
Good luck mate
Edited by: "STRICKIBHOY" 11th May
I had the Love Hearts as my favours, personalised mini packs. They looked lovely. To save money on food I had a hog roast. Got married at 4 so only had to feed them once. Then pudding was wedding cake and cup cakes (made by me) and an ice cream van came for an hour, prepaid by us so everyone could have what they wanted. Kids loved that, some had 6 or 7! I went to the Range and bought giant Martini glasses (which I later sold), filled them with coloured water beads and waterproof tea lights. I got a friend to take photos but I wouldn't recommend that as I didn't get what I wanted, but maybe I should have been more specific.
Some really great ideas here! I'm really gonna push for the scratchcard idea, I do love the sound of it and think it would be fun to watch the expressions of the winners and losers.

We are also gonna ask for money towards the honeymoon as we really have everything we want/need anyway.

Our package is pretty much set in stone. We are getting married in local chapel and then our meals/pre drinks/reception is all at a 4 star hotel near bye. Price is £4395 but that includes alot of additional extras (Cars, cake, linen, honeymoon suite and a few more things)
Don't invite or tell anyone apart from parents that you're getting married, organize some food for the pub/club, then once the ceremony is over phone the rest of your family and mates and tell them to meet you at the pub/club for the wedding party.

That's what I did

Cheap as chips
Edited by: "Darzen" 11th May
Avoid wedding fairs like the plague, they are full of "great must have" ideas of how you can be parted from your hard earned.
Think of a theme and then go on pinterest and search for terms related to that theme, we are going for a gardening/allotment flower sort of theme such as sunflowers so searched that on pinterest and came up with all sorts of ideas.

29th June next year so seems June is the month to get married!

In terms of asking for money for honeymoon have you looked at honeyfund.co.uk/ ? Makes giving money for a honeymoon abit more personal as the giver can pick a thing that you want to do on the honeymoon and effectively pay for that. - All the money goes into your paypal anyway but feels abit more personal than bunging £20 in an envelope.. Not for everyone but my friend did it for his and think we're going to do the same
Edited by: "winifer" 11th May
Darzen1 h, 34 m ago

Don't invite or tell anyone apart from parents that you're getting …Don't invite or tell anyone apart from parents that you're getting married, organize some food for the pub/club, then once the ceremony is over phone the rest of your family and mates and tell them to meet you at the pub/club for the wedding party. That's what I did Cheap as chips

We did something similar. Just familys and close friends to wedding. Then had a meal afterwards for about 20 odd of us. Invite only.

Then we just had a night do with buffet etc for work mates etc to come along to.

Total cost was roughly £750 all in.

Couldn't be doing with all that faffing on with wedding cars etc. I just put ribbons and stuff on mine and brothers car.

Great day, and just as memorable as if we had spent a fortune.
I would be happy to do the whole close friends and family with a small occasion wedding. To me, its about getting married to the one I love (yeah yeah I'm soppy) and not about the spectacle. But to the mrs.....That's a different story.

I can understand that she wants this to be the one day, the biggest day and that's what I hope to give her.

Plus my wedding menu is food I love so yeah I'm looking forward to that haha
You can buy many favours from ebay including the m&m.

You can also buy a giant Gift box for all the cards you will receive (hopefully with money in it too) from amazon for cheap and good quality.

There are a lot of cake bakers on instagram. If you want a custom cake or just ideas, you can have a look on there.

I’m getting married in the next 3 months...
uzz16 m ago

You can buy many favours from ebay including the m&m.You can also buy a …You can buy many favours from ebay including the m&m.You can also buy a giant Gift box for all the cards you will receive (hopefully with money in it too) from amazon for cheap and good quality.There are a lot of cake bakers on instagram. If you want a custom cake or just ideas, you can have a look on there.I’m getting married in the next 3 months...

Yeah been having a look on amazon and stuff for the place cards.

Wow it's so close!! Hope you both have a fantastic day
elope we got married in vegas at drive thru wedding no stress at all
last wedding I went to was 10 years ago and cost the couple £30 grand. It was a good day. but so expensive as we stayed overnight (over £100 for a room even then and that was with a contribution from the happy couple) - but reading this thread I would say you are doing the right thing, keep it as simple as you can, I certainly couldn't be bothered doing favours - who would choose to have them, a scratchcard on the other hand is a great idea!
have fun for the next 13 months planning ......
We got engaged on Xmas day and married in april . We just wanted to get married without the fuss and expense .We only had 30 guests which were family and close friends only and made our own buffet and played our own music in a free to hire room followed by a night on the town. Best day ever
Edited by: "loumar76" 11th May
Check out discount shops like home bargains and B&M they do wedding stuff or things thay can be used for weddings.

I'm Asian so our weddings are totally different and last days have fun and just keep calm hopefully it'll be a great day.

Instagram for great ideas and local people doing things or Facebook marketplace is a great place to pick up another couples wedding decor that can easily be reused.
DKLS8 h, 10 m ago

Avoid wedding fairs like the plague, they are full of "great must have" …Avoid wedding fairs like the plague, they are full of "great must have" ideas of how you can be parted from your hard earned.

Actually I went to a few stole all the good ideas and did it more cheaply myself.
I’ve been a to a good few weddings as a guest. I’ll tell you something, other than thoughts on the day. Not much lasts as a memory for a guest.
Make sure you make memories for you, not them. Get a photographer and videographer. It goes by so fast.
For favours, one that stands out was all the tables were named after whiskies. The men got that whisky as a miniature and the women got a gin miniature. Each with a ribbon tied round it.
If you want something different for the evening. Avoid buffet type things. Just get servings of Stovies. Followed by maybe a rented Candy cart, look for startups on Facebook.
Keep costs down, wedding list your honeymoon. That seems to be the rage these days.
I bought 2 round the world plane tickets, got married in Sydney for £100, and went for a drink overlooking the opera house afterwards, that way I didn't have to invite relatives I didn' like!

Flowers always cost a fortune, have you asked friends or relatives if they know anyone who can help, someone has probaby taken a class.

Congratulations
cideristhefuture2 h, 16 m ago

I bought 2 round the world plane tickets, got married in Sydney for £100, …I bought 2 round the world plane tickets, got married in Sydney for £100, and went for a drink overlooking the opera house afterwards, that way I didn't have to invite relatives I didn' like!Flowers always cost a fortune, have you asked friends or relatives if they know anyone who can help, someone has probaby taken a class.Congratulations

You don't have to have flowers, I didn't because I don't like them so that would've been a waste of money. But I do love chocolate so I had a bouquet of red and white lindor chocs . They were yummy and handy for keeping the little ones quiet
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants