Weighing a suitcase in Boots: cheeky or okay? Also if anyone has tips on packing for a one way adventure please share!

Found 20th Feb 2016
My suitcase broke my luggage hook scales I bought from B&M.

I don't know if that means it's really overweight or if they were just cheap and nasty.

It tips my neighbours bathroom scales and is so big it covers the reading. She's an old lady and I'm a 45kg girl. So neither of us can do the stand-on-the-scales-and-lift-suitcase trick. I could for about 30 seconds but again it's so bulky it covers the reading.

My suitcase is huge. And weighs nearly 6kg empty ****. Max I am allowed is 23kg.

> 30 inch suitcase
> Length: 75.5cm
> Width: 50cm
> Height: 33cm
> Capacity: 107L
> Weight: 5.5kg

I'm on a one way ticket across the earth so I'm obviously looking to get as close to 23kg limit as possible, all I have in this suitcase is all I have in life and it's not very much!

I'm travelling alone > bus > airport > train so paying for extra luggage isn't an option as I already have a backpack to carry too.

I fly out in 3 days. Any help appreciated.
Community Updates
21 Comments
Do the bathroom scales thing - but put a belt through the handle and over your shoulder (don't have to lift it then ) . Have a good trip
Sit a stable container on the scale, then sit the case on top. you should be able to see the reading then. I did it with a tin of paint and put a tray on top so the bag would balance on top. Then I took a pic of the reading with my phone as i couldnt see it properly. worked perfectly.
therealslimkaty

Sit a stable container on the scale, then sit the case on top. you … Sit a stable container on the scale, then sit the case on top. you should be able to see the reading then. I did it with a tin of paint and put a tray on top so the bag would balance on top. Then I took a pic of the reading with my phone as i couldnt see it properly. worked perfectly.

I'll try this tomorrow, thank you!
rogparki

Do the bathroom scales thing - but put a belt through the handle and over … Do the bathroom scales thing - but put a belt through the handle and over your shoulder (don't have to lift it then ) . Have a good trip

I think there's a high chance I'll pull my shoulder out haha but I'll give it a go tomorrow, thanks for replying!!
narwhal

I'll try this tomorrow, thank you!

You're welcome and good luck! I suggested this to a friend and she posted me a photo of her large suitcase perched on a big terracotta plant pot on the scale, haha!
You could try weighing the contents of the suitcase in batches that will fit on the scales and then add up the results.

Be careful travelling on your own and enjoy your trip.
Bit random but if you know anyone with a wii fit you can weigh things on there and as the board is bigger you can balance more on it. Designed to weigh people for setting up your character. To be honest though I'd nip into town and buy a replacement luggage scale or borrow one from a friend, if you're like me you will be messing around putting odd bits in and pulling them out again until the last minute. Have a good trip x
Get some normal scales for the bathroom etc. Stand on scale yourself, note weight. Stand on scale holding suitcase, note weight. Subtract your weight = weight of suitcase.
ebay.co.uk/itm…080?hash=item2ca166f0a8:g:jfAAAOSwgQ9VohB0
Good luck weighing suitcase have a safe journey and enjoy your travels
WonkyDoctor

Get some normal scales for the bathroom etc. Stand on scale yourself, … Get some normal scales for the bathroom etc. Stand on scale yourself, note weight. Stand on scale holding suitcase, note weight. Subtract your weight = weight of suitcase.

​They've already said they can't do that because once they're holding the suitcase they can't see the display.
If you're close to a home bargains then they do a surprisingly good led/lcd luggage scale which has a strap. you put the strap through the handle and lift up for a few seconds and the weight stays on the screen. only cost between £3-£5 I think it even has 3 year warranty. been using ours for 2 years and given to other family to borrow in their travels too
http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2376048.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/Miranda-Hart-who-is-releasing-a-comedy-and-fitness-DVD-called-Miranda-Harts-Maracattack.jpg
Please may I make a suggestion? Take your (full) suitcase on a test run, getting on and off buses at first. If you are quite a slight person you may well struggle to manoeuvre a heavy case, half your body weight, on and off transport. You don't want to end up in a heap of frustration and upset. It's a bit late to edit a case's contents once you are on your travels. A lighter (smaller?) case might be a very good investment. You'll be amazed what you can manage without. The world is full of (charity) shops to get more stuff. You could have a look here bagsetc.co.uk/sho…age for a bag.
As a friend of mine put it, the essentials are "Passport, pants, money" - anything else is just extra to carry. Have a great trip.
Edited by: "aninginaneana" 20th Feb 2016
aninginaneana

Please may I make a suggestion? Take your (full) suitcase on a test run, … Please may I make a suggestion? Take your (full) suitcase on a test run, getting on and off buses at first. If you are quite a slight person you may well struggle to manoeuvre a heavy case, half your body weight, on and off transport. You don't want to end up in a heap of frustration and upset. It's a bit late to edit a case's contents once you are on your travels. A lighter (smaller?) case might be a very good investment. You'll be amazed what you can manage without. The world is full of (charity) shops to get more stuff. You could have a look here http://www.bagsetc.co.uk/shop/it-luggage for a bag.As a friend of mine put it, the essentials are "Passport, pants, money" - anything else is just extra to carry. Have a great trip.

Fully agree. I made the mistake of getting the largest case possible and ended up ditching it. Now I make sure I have my credit card, travel docs and passport anything extra is a bonus.
get a rucksack, leave the massive suitcase for trips to benidorm, or transporting bodies
or get something like this, gapyeartravelstore.com/van…tml where the straps can be tucked in.

you will regret taking so much stuff.

If you cant carry it with one hand while running for a bus - it is too heavy

move the dial around to 50kg +, then put the suitcase on. This makes it easier to see the reading as it be further up near the middle, then just take 50kg of the total weight showing.
aninginaneana

Please may I make a suggestion? Take your (full) suitcase on a test run, … Please may I make a suggestion? Take your (full) suitcase on a test run, getting on and off buses at first. If you are quite a slight person you may well struggle to manoeuvre a heavy case, half your body weight, on and off transport. You don't want to end up in a heap of frustration and upset. It's a bit late to edit a case's contents once you are on your travels. A lighter (smaller?) case might be a very good investment. You'll be amazed what you can manage without. The world is full of (charity) shops to get more stuff. You could have a look here http://www.bagsetc.co.uk/shop/it-luggage for a bag.As a friend of mine put it, the essentials are "Passport, pants, money" - anything else is just extra to carry. Have a great trip.

You were absolutely right on all counts. Thank you. As much as it pained me shelling out for another bag, I couldn't lift my old one out the door never mind on a bus. I leave tomorrow so I didn't have time to look in charity shops etc, but I did get a lighter, slightly smaller case as well as a backpacker type holdall. I split my stuff between the 2, only essentials in the suitcase and my super lovely neighbour is looking after the holdall until UPS pick it up next month. So a lot more expensive than I wanted it to turn out but much less stress and less chance of broken arms too. Thanks again.
fred box

get a rucksack, leave the massive suitcase for trips to benidorm, or … get a rucksack, leave the massive suitcase for trips to benidorm, or transporting bodiesor get something like this, http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/vango-60-20l-ladies-purple-travel-backpack.html where the straps can be tucked in.you will regret taking so much stuff. If you cant carry it with one hand while running for a bus - it is too heavy

You are absolutely right. Thank you. As much as it pained me shelling out for another bag, I couldn't lift my old one out the door never mind on a bus. I did get a lighter, slightly smaller case as well as a backpacker type holdall. I split my stuff between the 2, only essentials in the case and my super lovely neighbour is looking after the holdall until UPS pick it up next month.

It's not even that I have a lot of stuff. It's just everything is heavy. Since I won't really be moving about again after this (hopefully!!) I don't want to get rid of EVERYTHING I own, I do want some reminders of my life in the UK and Ireland - they've been my adopted home for the past 20 years
samzam

Good luck weighing suitcase have a safe journey and enjoy your travels

Thank you very much
allowed

Hahahahaha X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants