Posted 26 November 2021

Weird free PayPal “Your offer covered your entire purchase”??

I ordered my Xbox 12 months from cdkeys, I used PayPal to pay for it. Should be £33.99 but the weirdest messages is on my receipt and I’ve been charged zero

“Your offer covered your entire purchase”

DESCRIPTION UNIT PRICE QTY AMOUNT
12 Month Xbox Live Gold Membership - (EU) £33.99 GBP 1 £33.99 GBP

Subtotal £33.99 GBP
Special offer -£33.99 GBP
Total £0.00 GBP

I’ve used PayPal for years and never seen this - will I be charged properly later? I’m happy to pay but it’s odd!!

Checked my app it it says £0.00 charged
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You've won on a recent competition - every time you spend more than £10 on PayPal you get a free entry. I won £25 last week so you must've won a bigger prize than me! If you log into you PayPal account its under "rewards" (on the app at least). They do a draw every week.

Edit: haha, I posted this and as I pressed post I had an email saying I'd won another £25! (edited)
    abigsmurf26/11/2021 22:24

I got £25 off earlier, no notification from paypal. Just got the email …I got £25 off earlier, no notification from paypal. Just got the email half an hour ago. Either I've won twice or their notification system is a bit laggy.Any way to check the prize draw? it says you can check in the app but I can't see anything.

It doesn't get added to your PayPal balance (so you can't withdraw it), the £25 off gets taken off your next purchase when you pay with PayPal.
    gravityorgan26/11/2021 23:58

Can someone help explain this please?What's the catch, is there one? From …Can someone help explain this please?What's the catch, is there one? From what I can see, it says no purchase necessary so if I opted in, is that it? Automatically included in the draw? And how would I know if I won something? Thanks in advance. I saw this when it first got announced but didn't think much of it at first.

Look through the t&C's and there is a link to click for free entries. You'll be notified if you win but the emails come a few days after you actually win, hence lots of people being surprised!
    The thread about this for the confused (incl. link for 50 free entries) is here hotukdeals.com/dis…e=3 and you can post in the winners circle.

You should get an e-mail about it in the next few days. I won and they didn't tell me until two days later. My face was: for an hour as I tried to figure it out, thinking that I'd signed up for credit by mistake.
    sharon.stone29/11/2021 20:30

I got £25 too!!Was very confused till I found this thread, thought I'd …I got £25 too!!Was very confused till I found this thread, thought I'd applied for credit.If I return my purchase does it get credited back to my PayPal?

Credited back to your rewards account to use again
    You've won a prize in the PayPal competition. I won £25 this evening and used it for something I had in my eBay basket from yesterday. Ended up paying just £15
    Author
    Woohooo I won £50!! Free Xbox subscription with 54p Quidco thrown in!

Thanks guys! That’s made my week!
    I came here with same question I haven't had a email but I've won 50 quid,. I won 25 last week too.
    It's a Christmas competition.
    I got £25 off earlier, no notification from paypal. Just got the email half an hour ago. Either I've won twice or their notification system is a bit laggy.

Any way to check the prize draw? it says you can check in the app but I can't see anything.
    Ilikehotdeals126/11/2021 21:52

Woohooo I won £50!! Free Xbox subscription with 54p Quidco thrown in! …Woohooo I won £50!! Free Xbox subscription with 54p Quidco thrown in! Thanks guys! That’s made my week!

Make sure to max out the 3 years if you're doing the gold to GPU trick.
    _stan26/11/2021 21:31

You've won on a recent competition - every time you spend more than £10 on …You've won on a recent competition - every time you spend more than £10 on PayPal you get a free entry. I won £25 last week so you must've won a bigger prize than me! If you log into you PayPal account its under "rewards" (on the app at least). They do a draw every week.Edit: haha, I posted this and as I pressed post I had an email saying I'd won another £25!

Lol same thought I hadn't won this week because last week I got my offer on Tuesday. 3rd time the charm next week maybe?
    Paul202027/11/2021 08:58

Look through the t&C's and there is a link to click for free entries. …Look through the t&C's and there is a link to click for free entries. You'll be notified if you win but the emails come a few days after you actually win, hence lots of people being surprised!

I see. Yes, I noticed that yesterday too when I read up on it. Thank you.
    Author
    Since I made post a week ago I have won 2 x £25 + £50 - absolutely nuts but I’m very grateful for it. It replaces the funds I would have used from the double points event at Sainsburys so making a big difference
    Can someone help explain this please?

What's the catch, is there one? From what I can see, it says no purchase necessary so if I opted in, is that it? Automatically included in the draw? And how would I know if I won something? Thanks in advance. I saw this when it first got announced but didn't think much of it at first. (edited)
    I got £25 too!!
    Was very confused till I found this thread, thought I'd applied for credit.
    If I return my purchase does it get credited back to my PayPal?
    Am I just being dumb with redeeming my prize? Don't use the app just access PayPal via the Web, but it says on the offer, click "Use Offer" and it's nowhere to be found on the page or anywhere else???
    Author
    tabletdude01/12/2021 21:56

Am I just being dumb with redeeming my prize? Don't use the app just …Am I just being dumb with redeeming my prize? Don't use the app just access PayPal via the Web, but it says on the offer, click "Use Offer" and it's nowhere to be found on the page or anywhere else???

Is there somewhere on the screen called Rewards? On the app my balance for the prize sits under that
    Ilikehotdeals101/12/2021 22:21

Is there somewhere on the screen called Rewards? On the app my balance for …Is there somewhere on the screen called Rewards? On the app my balance for the prize sits under that

Thanks. Looks like its possibly App or Merchant specific. Resorted to downloading the app and worked as described when purchasing from Ebay. Tried another merchant and there's no option to take advantage of prize. Not that clear in T's and C's though.
's avatar