Groups

Weird microsoft bug!!

Try creating a folder and renaming it con it will not happen!!

11 Comments

Just tried it - how strange!

weird.
    but why would you be calling a folder con anyway

Looked it up, is something to do with the old DOS Naming Conventions still in use today. None of the below should work:

CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.

melu;1690039

DOS Naming Conventions

Brings back memories. :geek:

ohh strange

ooo had to try it lol...didnt work for me either. Not that i thought it would

in Notepad, write "Bush hid the facts" without quotation marks.

save it. close it. re-open it. its a neat trick. but only works with Windows XP.

Kichigai;1690284

in Notepad, write "Bush hid the facts" without quotation marks. save it. … in Notepad, write "Bush hid the facts" without quotation marks. save it. close it. re-open it. its a neat trick. but only works with Windows XP.

What do you save it as?

Ok, forget that. Got it, and it just changed the text to little boxes! :? Am I missing something?

Apparently it works with any sentence which has A 4 letter word (with a capital letter) then two or more 3 letters words and finally ending with a 5 letter word. (all lower case). Haven't tried myself as I got vista. Boo!

Its not actually a bug, its a feature to maintain backward compatibility with older programs.
    The "con" is the console ie your keyboard

Not quite your keyboard, but as good as. CON is the input device and when we only had DOS it invariably was the keyboard.

If you type 'copy con test.txt' at the dos prompt you can copy the console output to a file (press ctrl + z to finish). You could also redirect com ports to the console by typing 'com1 > con', this would allow you to control a PC remotely.

Now you know some more useless info :whistling:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Did you know?2951
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66

See more discussions