Welding beginner, equipment?

Posted 4th NovEdited by:"Inquisitor"
Hello!

I need to make a crude load bearing frame for a pit (3330x1120x55mm). Instead of sleepers (as they're expensive, heavy and annoying to remove) I thought I'd try some metalwork. Picked up a Cosmo 160 arc (hand me down).
Details: 30x30mm (2.5mm) box for horizontals and flat bars 90degrees underneath, covered with piece of 22mm ply.

Questions:
I found some BOC premium rods on ebay as I've read it's good to have 'quality rods' for beginners? (£18.75 for 2.5x350mm x 5kg) recommended?
Gauntlets/gloves, any £5 pair would do? What is recommended?
How does one fix metal to wood (flush would be ideal)? Sorry I normally work with wood and google doesn't help too much, ha.

I bought an auto dim mask from aldi and also have some shaded safety specs for good measure.
Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

2 Comments
I'm not exactly sure what u are doing but normally from experience wood to metal is either screwed or bolted to the metal. You maybe could try construction adhesive but I'm not sure how long that would hold ? Have you tried the new inverter arc welders. I am a DIY welder and I used to use Clarke welders etc then after it packed up a I brought a welder from eBay which was either a Aldi.or Lidl brand. They definitely a lot better to weld with and the rods don't stick to the metal as much as the old welders did. They aren't really that expensive either. I paid £35 for my welder from eBay locally. When I looked at the Lidl or Aldi site they where something like around £50.
kash201305/11/2019 05:52

I'm not exactly sure what u are doing but normally from experience wood to …I'm not exactly sure what u are doing but normally from experience wood to metal is either screwed or bolted to the metal. You maybe could try construction adhesive but I'm not sure how long that would hold ? Have you tried the new inverter arc welders. I am a DIY welder and I used to use Clarke welders etc then after it packed up a I brought a welder from eBay which was either a Aldi.or Lidl brand. They definitely a lot better to weld with and the rods don't stick to the metal as much as the old welders did. They aren't really that expensive either. I paid £35 for my welder from eBay locally. When I looked at the Lidl or Aldi site they where something like around £50.

Good shout on the adhesive, I'll look into that. Thanks.
It's to cover a garage floor, it has a pit in it but would be a shame to fill it with concrete (and expensive).

I've not tried any welding so I'll give the hand me down a go first. I don't really know what to look for in a welder; ac/dc+/dc- etc.. I can imagine getting into metalwork but I need more space for the tools, already having a bit of a collection with woodworking, ha.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants