Wendy's are launching (again) in the UK!

Posted 26th Oct
3316820-Wospm.jpg
Wendy's, the third largest burger chain in the world, is coming back to the UK! They were here last millennium but exited the market, now they are returning according to leaked investor documents. Many of you may know Wendy's from their amazing social media pages (especially Twitter)! The UK will be the first European market Wendy's enter, and their HQ for Europe will be based here.

Unfortunately this source is from the Daily fail so apologies
Community Updates
Misc
41 Comments
Yay used to love a Wendy’s, hopefully wimpy to follow
Square burgers and foil wrappers, can't wait.

By far the best burgers out of the 3 imo
Stevelow_21226/10/2019 22:28

Yay used to love a Wendy’s, hopefully wimpy to follow

Wimpy are still in the UK
Sc4mp026/10/2019 22:33

Square burgers and foil wrappers, can't wait.By far the best burgers out …Square burgers and foil wrappers, can't wait.By far the best burgers out of the 3 imo

I'm really looking forward to it. Burger King is rubbish. McDonald's is nice but my favourite Signature Collection was axed. Five Guys are too expensive. Hopefully Wendy's can fill the gap!
jamie1526/10/2019 22:46

I'm really looking forward to it. Burger King is rubbish. McDonald's is …I'm really looking forward to it. Burger King is rubbish. McDonald's is nice but my favourite Signature Collection was axed. Five Guys are too expensive. Hopefully Wendy's can fill the gap!

Only been to Five Guys once and that was for a milkshake, never had food from there.
jamie1526/10/2019 22:45

Wimpy are still in the UK

I know but miles away I meant going mainstream
Sc4mp026/10/2019 22:48

Only been to Five Guys once and that was for a milkshake, never had food …Only been to Five Guys once and that was for a milkshake, never had food from there.

It's nice, but £10+ for a burger is overpriced for me. I've never had a milkshake from there because I cannot bear to pay that much after the food.
Didn't realise Wendy's were here years ago

I really liked Wimpy and it features in my favourite movie, Bedazzled (Pete and Dud version)
jamie1526/10/2019 22:46

I'm really looking forward to it. Burger King is rubbish. McDonald's is …I'm really looking forward to it. Burger King is rubbish. McDonald's is nice but my favourite Signature Collection was axed. Five Guys are too expensive. Hopefully Wendy's can fill the gap!

Wendy’s used to be quite expensive. Reckon they will price at similar price point to five guys
Stevelow_21226/10/2019 22:49

I know but miles away I meant going mainstream

My local one closed down this year. It was always empty. I only ate in Wimpy once and it was not worth the money to be honest I don't see the brand expanding much here to be honest.
Yea +1 for wimpy come back one in Newcastle is a miss
Stevelow_21226/10/2019 22:52

Wendy’s used to be quite expensive. Reckon they will price at similar p …Wendy’s used to be quite expensive. Reckon they will price at similar price point to five guys

I hope not. They will be more expensive than McDonald's/Burger King, but hopefully they undercut Five Guys a bit. Though I do suspect that you may be right!
louiselouise26/10/2019 22:51

Didn't realise Wendy's were here years ago I really liked Wimpy …Didn't realise Wendy's were here years ago I really liked Wimpy and it features in my favourite movie, Bedazzled (Pete and Dud version)

They were around 20 years back. Only had a few stores though and it didn't go well, but this time they've apparently done their research. Hopefully it pays off! If both Wendy's and Chick-fil-A manage to expand into London it'd be great as I've always wanted to try both.
TR1GG26/10/2019 22:52

Yea +1 for wimpy come back one in Newcastle is a miss

Just did a search and there are actually 64 in England! Had no idea
Always go to Wendy's when I'm in the states, can't wait!
Time to try that famous wendys chilly
Always find the burgers I make at home are far nicer than burgers bought in restaurants in contrast I can't do pizzas, curries or fried chicken as nice as various restaurants. Most burgers I've had out is probably wetherspoons and I've not had many there. I'd certainly try Wendy's if I come across one. Not been that impressed with McDonalds or Burger King although have a slight preference for Burger King.
We had a five guys but it was far too expensive. Maccy d's and burger king is just bland awfulness.I can go to the butcher and get a really nice burger for a quid and cook it myself. Not a fan of fast food.
Wish it was halal
Wendy's in the States, and the one's we had, are poles apart imo.
psychobitchfromhell26/10/2019 23:12

We had a five guys but it was far too expensive. Maccy d's and burger king …We had a five guys but it was far too expensive. Maccy d's and burger king is just bland awfulness.I can go to the butcher and get a really nice burger for a quid and cook it myself. Not a fan of fast food.

Wendy's make a big deal about using fresh beef instead of frozen. Wendy's always try to be higher quality than McDonald's/Burger King. My only fear is that they will cost as much as Five Guys, hopefully not.
The_Fiend26/10/2019 23:23

Wish it was halal

Maybe it could be. Given the extensive market research they did, I'd be surprised if they didn't spot a gap in the market for that.
Edited by: "jamie15" 26th Oct
jamie1526/10/2019 23:31

Wendy's make a big deal about using fresh beef instead of frozen. Wendy's …Wendy's make a big deal about using fresh beef instead of frozen. Wendy's always try to be higher quality than McDonald's/Burger King. My only fear is that they will cost as much as Five Guys, hopefully not.

if they cost that much they won't get my custom. If I'm spending a tenner on a burger, I want it served on a plate with cutlery not in a paper bag. Maybe I'm fussy but I just don't understand fast food. It's poor quality, it tastes awful and it's riddled with salt and fat. You can let me know if it is tasty
Five guys is expensive but it's really good and you do get a double pattie. I would rather pay £10 for a five guys than £5 for the fast food Alternatives.
The_Fiend26/10/2019 23:23

Wish it was halal

they all are round me but I live in Bradford.
psychobitchfromhell26/10/2019 23:41

if they cost that much they won't get my custom. If I'm spending a tenner …if they cost that much they won't get my custom. If I'm spending a tenner on a burger, I want it served on a plate with cutlery not in a paper bag. Maybe I'm fussy but I just don't understand fast food. It's poor quality, it tastes awful and it's riddled with salt and fat. You can let me know if it is tasty

I don't mind the paper bags at all, but at Five Guys I didn't feel a £10 spend was justified. I did enjoy the burger but it wasn't £10 worth of enjoyment, if Five Guys was £7 or even £8 then I'd probably be more satisfied. It should cost more than McDonald's but not so much more.
psychobitchfromhell26/10/2019 23:43

they all are round me but I live in Bradford.

Same all around London, except from McDonald's. KFC, Nando's, and Bella Italia are all Halal.
+1 for the Chilli, used to get me thru a winters day of despatch riding in London back in the 80's. There's a Wendys near the airport in Punta Cana Dom Rep. that i've used a few times and they haven't changed the recipe at all, or the burgers for that matter. Still junk food I know, but I hope they open nationwide as an alternative to McD's.
neilscutt27/10/2019 00:34

Rather it wasn’t.

It makes a lot of financial sense to do so, at barely any disadvantage. The minority who refuse to eat at Halal places are far outweighed by the Muslim population so it's a gain for any place that serves meat to make it Halal.
jamie1527/10/2019 00:36

It makes a lot of financial sense to do so, at barely any disadvantage. …It makes a lot of financial sense to do so, at barely any disadvantage. The minority who refuse to eat at Halal places are far outweighed by the Muslim population so it's a gain for any place that serves meat to make it Halal.

I’m sorry but you confused my comment about wanting to eat meat that had been humanely slaughtered with one of looking for financial gain from a minority group’s desire to appease a centuries old tradition. If they’d like to carve a name for themselves as a niche in the fast food sector, they would be better placed providing for those suffering from allergies who eat specific diets through no choice of their own. Probably not so publicly pc, but maybe more helpful to society.
neilscutt27/10/2019 01:14

I’m sorry but you confused my comment about wanting to eat meat that had b …I’m sorry but you confused my comment about wanting to eat meat that had been humanely slaughtered with one of looking for financial gain from a minority group’s desire to appease a centuries old tradition. If they’d like to carve a name for themselves as a niche in the fast food sector, they would be better placed providing for those suffering from allergies who eat specific diets through no choice of their own. Probably not so publicly pc, but maybe more helpful to society.

I didn't get confused, I was just hoping you weren't one of those people

Islam is the largest religion in the world, hardly a minority group. The minority group is the one you belong to.

I don't believe Halal meat is inhumanly slaughtered. I don't really care how it's slaughtered to be honest, as long as it tastes good.

As anyone who knows me would happily testify, I am far from PC. Specific dietary requirements are still catered for in the vast majority of restaurants, that is unrelated to Halal certification.
Firstly Islam is the second largest religion in the world with 1.9 billion followers after Christianity with a 2.4 billion following. Secondly, and far more importantly, although 88% of all cattle declared halal are stunned prior to slaughter in the UK with similar percentages for other species including chickens, there remains a percentage that isn’t and until this 100% made a humane process by legislation to that effect I consider the desire of the 9.7 percent of the uk population who are Muslim to be of less concern as to incite a vendor to choose that as a guaranteed meat status. And I’d highly suggest that an argument founded on “I don’t believe “ and “I don’t really care” is ill informed but also representative of a lack of conscience. Please consider whether “one of those people” is an appropriate insult, considering.
jamie1527/10/2019 01:19

Comment deleted

Just so you know, Five guys in Luton closed down. It closed down because Lutonians cannot afford their burgers AND the large Muslim community were putting pressure on them to go halal. I knew the manager that worked there before it closed down, she said they looked into halal meat suppliers as Muslims were contacting them daily about it, and were on track to go halal just for this store, however, they couldn't find a high quality supplier and therefore closed down and opened up in the airport instead. 99% of chicken shops in Luton are also halal, the meat is 100% inferior. Im not saying its inferior because its halal, its inferior because its cheap, small, tasteless and low quality meat which so happens to be halal. They want their meat cheap, so quality will be effected. Theres 1 and only 1 chicken shop in the same town which isn't halal and it wins awards every year for the quality of the meat, you can also taste the difference.

As for your comment .. "Especially given the location of Halal restaurants are generally based on an area's demographics." wrong. Some tiny towns only have 1 takeaway and its nearly always halal (unless a chippy). Turkish kebab shops are generally halal. And before you say there must be lots of muslims in the said town, no, there isn't. Also, for example, Nandos offer halal resturants and non halal, however, it states on their website that they may use halal suppliers in non halal restaurants if theres a supplier issue, and every now and again you do feel they used this other supplier as the quality drops.

Personally, I couldn't care if it was halal as long as I knew it was humanely slaughtered (stunned). But I don't think theres a way to ascertain that.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 27th Oct
neilscutt27/10/2019 01:14

I’m sorry but you confused my comment about wanting to eat meat that had b …I’m sorry but you confused my comment about wanting to eat meat that had been humanely slaughtered with one of looking for financial gain from a minority group’s desire to appease a centuries old tradition. If they’d like to carve a name for themselves as a niche in the fast food sector, they would be better placed providing for those suffering from allergies who eat specific diets through no choice of their own. Probably not so publicly pc, but maybe more helpful to society.

I’ve just never understood the argument that halal/kosher meat is more cruel than any other type of meat.

Whatever meat you eat is surely equally as horrible, you are killing an animal and then butchering it end of.

It’s an awful process stunned or not stunned when you actually think about it.

I find it incredibly hypocritical when those who eat meat, have a go at Halal/Kosher

The only people who should be arguing about animal cruelty are vegetarian and vegans surely.
Yayy! Excited for this
I love Wendy's !!
Father in law has been saying this to me over last week or so. Hope they do well as nice burgers
myusernamehasgone23427/10/2019 05:00

I’ve just never understood the argument that halal/kosher meat is more c …I’ve just never understood the argument that halal/kosher meat is more cruel than any other type of meat.Whatever meat you eat is surely equally as horrible, you are killing an animal and then butchering it end of.It’s an awful process stunned or not stunned when you actually think about it.I find it incredibly hypocritical when those who eat meat, have a go at Halal/KosherThe only people who should be arguing about animal cruelty are vegetarian and vegans surely.

If you were on death row and you could choose how you'd die. Would you choose

A) throat slit (you don't actually die for a few minutes)
B) stunned so you have no idea whats going on. Thus not feeling your slow death
C) I dont care. I am going to die anyway.

Or better still. Would you prefer to have a operation in hospital wide awake or put to sleep?

Hope you understand now.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 27th Oct
J4GG427/10/2019 10:40

If you were on death row and you could choose how you'd die. Would you …If you were on death row and you could choose how you'd die. Would you chooseA) throat slit (you don't actually die for a few minutes)B) stunned so you have no idea whats going on. Thus not feeling your slow deathC) I dont care. I am going to die anyway.Or better still. Would you prefer to have a operation in hospital wide awake or put to sleep?Hope you understand now.

Well I had surgery awake last week, my choice I could have been put to sleep.

Thankfully the local anaesthetic worked so I didn’t feel it during the op just the odd sensation of pushing and pulling but boy did I feel butchered after it had worn off.

I see the point you are making though.

Pretty grim killing animals whichever way you do
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 27th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants