Went 36-37mph over a 30mph Gatso Camera

Found 1st Oct 2014
Darn how frustrated I am. I've had my license close to 6 years, since I was 19. I was about to get a reduction in my insurance premiums as I'm now 25 so next renewal would've been cheaper but now all of this waiting and paying absurd somes of money for insurance will continue to happen for the next, 3 years? I always pootle along the roads, always pretty much stuck on gears 2-3. My head just wasn't there. I even knew of that camera, but nothing clicked in my head until I was half way over it. I blame this on my medical condition. I should've never driven. Blood pools into my legs when still for too long leading to less blood in the brain which can have me acting pretty dumb at times.That's when I suddenly looked at my speedo and noticed I was over the speed limit. I didn't notice the camera flash as the car has a low roof and secondly as I was staring at my speedometre. I had been driving into central London which took 2 hours to reach and another 1 hour and 30 minutes to get, only to get done by the last Gatso camera on the stretch of road that leads to my home. How unbelievable. This is the first time I've ever had any kind of motoring penalty. What's even more shocking is that I found out by googling that the price is now £100! Here I was thinking it would be cheaper by car and more comfortable. Sure was comfortable not sure about being cheaper anymore. Damn!
Community Updates
MiscCamera
34 Comments
Banned
gatsos are evil.
I was done in a 30 zone a few years back. when i rang the insurance company to tell them I now an sp30 conviction on my licence, the response I got was "who hasn't?"!!
I wouldn't fret too much about it from an insurance premium perspective. I suspect your 100 quid fine (which may halve if you don't contest it and pay quickly) will be bigger than your premium increase for next year.

also, if this is your first time getting caught, you may well be offered a driver education course rather than points on your licence. OK, you still have to pay the fine, but at a least you don't end up with points on licence.
and is your insurance company aware of this medical condition that makes you unfit to drive? Perhaps best you don't share too much info in the public domains!
I am sorry for your medical condition but you have openly stated that you are not always composed mentis but are happy to drive a vehicle! You are a danger not just to yourself but to other road users, pedestrians and hedgehogs crossing the road.

Either pull over to a safe position at regular intervals to prevent the blood pooling or use public transport.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130129155955/glee/images/4/4d/This_isnt_fair....gif
Original Poster
Yeah I'm so angry with myself that I don't even want to drive anymore. I'll stick to the original plan of using the car for shorter journeys. Public transport strikes as a winner here in London at least.
Edited by: "PraxxtorCruel" 1st Oct 2014
You may not even get a fine. I had a camera flash at me once and nothing came of it.

But yeah, don't drive if you don't feel you "act dumb" some times, don't want to be acting dumb and cause some damage to yourself or others
PraxxtorCruel

Yeah I'm so angry with myself that I don't even want to drive anymore. … Yeah I'm so angry with myself that I don't even want to drive anymore. I'll stick to the original plan of using the car for shorter journeys. Public transport strikes as a winner here in London at least.

Speed on brother,hell ain't half full yet!!!
Don't drive.

Learn paragraphs.

But if you haven't had the fine come through don't worry until it does as you may get away with nothing and even at those speeds should be offered the speed awareness course so no need to worry yet.

If you have got the fine though, please refer to paragraph two.

HTH.
Mod
3 points didn't really do much to my insurance premiums.

Also, you drive at 30mph in 2nd/3rd gears? oO

I blame this on my medical condition. I should've never driven. Blood … I blame this on my medical condition. I should've never driven. Blood pools into my legs when still for too long leading to less blood in the brain which can have me acting pretty dumb at times.

Yes and Yes

Please sell the car or garage it until you are fit to drive. OP you clearly are putting other people's lives at risk as much as your own. I don't have a medical condition yet my blood boils when I hear stories like this, even more so when you are speeding at the same time. You are lucky that you are getting a fine for speeding and aren't being buried or banged up for death by dangerous driving.
Original Poster
I'll learn to add paragraphs if I don't get the NIP :)! I'm a worrier, alright. As for the speed course, I doubt it. Not here in London. Not exactly BeerDrinker hehe! Obviously if I'm going above 30 I'll be in gear 4, but mainly I pootle at speeds ranging from 15-25mph so I use gears 2-3. What I mean is most often I'm driving at 25mph in a 30 zone. Today was an exception. oO
Original Poster
simplyjimbo

Yes and YesPlease sell the car or garage it until you are fit to drive. … Yes and YesPlease sell the car or garage it until you are fit to drive. OP you clearly are putting other people's lives at risk as much as your own. I don't have a medical condition yet my blood boils when I hear stories like this, even more so when you are speeding at the same time. You are lucky that you are getting a fine for speeding and aren't being buried or banged up for death by dangerous driving.

Duly noted. I wasn't expecting there to be so much traffic at 1pm so I thought I could get into the centre and out in a short amount of time. I was wrong and will in the future use other means of transport. Besides in my initial post I might've exaggerated things a little as I'm upset about this as I'm a very careful driver. Might be hard for you lot to believe this but I am. My trips in the car are always short because I know I cannot tolerate being still for a long time and by doing short trips I'm always okay. It was a surprise today when there was so much traffic at 1pm. I left at this time as I was hoping to skip the traffic, that's the whole reason I chose to drive there. Had I been leaving in the morning or during afternoon/evening rush hour I'd have never opted for the car, instead I always take public transport during those times. When you have good periods for a long duration, you begin to think you've perhaps recovered and forget what one might have. I know I did wrong, and I know that long journeys are off limits by car for me.

Slow drivers are one of the biggest dangers on the road and should be treated like speeders.
Nearly a third of motorists have had a 'near miss' caused by someone travelling slowly.
These drivers create such frustration that six out of ten motorists feel stress rise and about half are tempted to 'undertake'.

PraxxtorCruel

but mainly I pootle at speeds ranging from 15-25mph so I use gears 2-3. … but mainly I pootle at speeds ranging from 15-25mph so I use gears 2-3. What I mean is most often I'm driving at 25mph in a 30 zone. Today was an exception. oO

Edited by: "Mark2111" 1st Oct 2014
I got done by a camera van doing 37 in a 30 (no excuse). I was offered the speed awareness course at a cost of £85 quid. It's likely you'll get offered this if you've no previous driving convictions, however it does vary force to force. You don't need to declare a speed awareness course to your insurer.
Original Poster
Paddy_o_furniture

I got done by a camera van doing 37 in a 30 (no excuse). I was offered … I got done by a camera van doing 37 in a 30 (no excuse). I was offered the speed awareness course at a cost of £85 quid. It's likely you'll get offered this if you've no previous driving convictions, however it does vary force to force. You don't need to declare a speed awareness course to your insurer.

Are you based in London Paddy? I've never heard of anyone getting the S.A. course here. It's always been a fixed penalty and 3 points. I'd liked to be proven wrong though. I normally am a very careful driver (yes that's what they all say). I've driven for 6 years and never been in trouble with the law.
Nah I'm Newcastle.

ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) guidelines suggest a speed awareness course should be given. Look at 9.6

acpo.police.uk/doc…pdf
Banned
I blame this on my medical condition. I should've never driven. Blood pools into my legs when still for too long leading to less blood in the brain which can have me acting pretty dumb at times.

Then you are a total liability and danger for everyone else on the roads and pavements. How can you make such a stupid statement and expect people to give you genuine sympathy? Will that be your excuse in court when you hit a 5 year old child walking on the pavement or a bus stop full of people? "Well your honour I do drive a bit dumb at times but it's not my fault".

The fact you were caught speeding in a 30 by 20% over the speed limit shows you have the wrong attitude and then to blame it on a medical condition that sees your brain go funny and make you drive a bit dumb is nothing short of incredulous. I hope your insurance goes up that much that you will be back to walking but lets just hope the next person driving past you "doesn't go a bit dumb at times" due to a build up of blood in his legs!

******* medical condition!
Edited by moderator: "Swear filter bypass" 1st Oct 2014
Op I admire your honesty but it's very selfish to drive with a total disregard to everyone else, You clearly admit you've got a medical condition that effects your driving yet still put yourself and others at risk, Medical conditions can be as bad or worse than drink drivers. You should be in control of you're vehicle at all times, It certainly isn't an excuse to break the speed limit.

If you was in a court and that was your excuse I think the room would be in hysterics and throw whatever book at you they could.
just so we are clear...
u were speeding.... and even at 10% discrepancy you were 3mph over....

u need to learn how to control your vehicle....

any punishment for you would not be severe....
34 in 30 limit for me I was offered the speeding awareness course and really got a lot from it. Lots of tips on saving fuel and better driving. All the people on my course were almost identical conditions to me and snapped at the same three locations! My insurance didn't change.
If you do have a condition that affects your driving performance, please don't drive. Several years back a man with MS lost control of his car in town and mowed down several pedestrians when he went up the pavement. You wouldn't want that on your conscience.
Edited by: "13norfolk" 1st Oct 2014
" I blame this on my medical condition. I should've never driven."

As others have stated, you are fortunate you haven't killed yourself or anyone else. You should notify your insurance and the DVLA

gov.uk/dri…ons

You could be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a condition that might affect your ability to drive safely. You could also be prosecuted if you have an accident.

You must surrender your licence to DVLA if your doctor tells you to stop driving because of your medical condition, or if you don’t currently meet the required standards for driving.

Health – if you learn that you or a named driver on your policy has any physical or medical condition that affects their ability to drive, your insurer needs to be informed.

I don't understand the point of this post. Is it to let off steam because you got caught breaking the law or to confess that you have a condition that renders you unfit to drive (again breaking the law) ?

Unless you're really needy I would resist the urge to share these things on a public forum. In the meantime learn the lesson that breaking the law comes with penalties and sell your car so that you won't put yourself (or others) in danger!
Edited by: "gerrymig" 2nd Oct 2014
deleted265520
#1 - if you normally go along in 2nd gear you shouldn't be on the road. Driving too slow is also dangerous.

#2 - you shouldn't be on the road with such a medical condition
Get into a higher gear and then when travelling at slower speeds a tap on the accelerator will not have as big an impact as if you are in 2nd or 3rd gear. Also you will save your fuel bill.

As others have said though, driving whilst having a medical condition such as yours is extremely selfish and in my opinion would put it in the same bracket as a drink driver with regards ignorance and total disregard for other road users safety.
Banned
Shouldn't be driving at all if you have a condition where you cannot focus.
If the speedo said 36-37, you'll have only been doing 33-34. Reckon you'll be ok.

This is why I dont drive myself. Im in poor health and take lots of strong meds, making me tired. I would be a liability on the road. I would not trust myself. I bet there are lots driving that shouldn't be. Can't blame being poorly, as you should not drive if your mind isnt 100% on it.
TL:DR, if it is your first speeding ticket, you will get the offer of doing a speed awareness course instead of the 3 points and fine, it costs a few quid, but should be offered.
HistoricDealer

If the speedo said 36-37, you'll have only been doing 33-34. Reckon … If the speedo said 36-37, you'll have only been doing 33-34. Reckon you'll be ok.

based on?
Lucifer_UK

based on?

Scientific research using the most accurate measuring devices known to man and a thorough study of no less than 100 of each make and model on the road at this time.

Or......He took a wild guess then stated it as fact!

Banned
if you were doing 36=37 by the speedo you probably weren't even doing a true 34mph and you would of noticed the flash around you no matter what you were driving
What's the point in stressing yourself out about something that might not even happen? This is the main reason people get themselves into a state unnecessarily. Learn to be more mindful both in your driving and in your everyday life and you'll save yourself an awful lot of unnecessary worry.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants