Expired

were is best to buy a internet doman name

3 replies
Found 21st Sep 2007
hi every one ,,, my brother has asked me to find out to find out the best place to get a internet doman name

he says he found a cheap place but it only let you rent the name and he wants to own it

can any one help

katie
x

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
4 Comments

]UKReg - the prices exclude VAT, but are pretty cheap

Original Poster

thanks but will he be able to own it or to rent it

katie
x

Katie Greggs

hi every one ,,, my brother has asked me to find out to find out the best … hi every one ,,, my brother has asked me to find out to find out the best place to get a internet doman namehe says he found a cheap place but it only let you rent the name and he wants to own it can any one helpkatiex

Does he actually mean rent/buy or does he not really know what buying a domain entails? You see you will have to pay a yearly fee regardless of where you buy from, in layman's terms I guess you'd say you own the domain name but you have to pay someone to look after all the periphery for you, a bit like having to pay a service charge on a flat you own on leasehold, that's just the way it works.

EDIT: Note you can move the domain to other providers, but let it slip and it will be lost. So while it is your domain, you can't pay once and keep it. It is more like a lease in that sense.

I usually use ]http//ww…uk/ for mine, they're not the cheapest but they've always offered me a reasonable and quick service.

Personally, I would recommend NameCheap

I guess technically you are only renting it, since you pay a fee per year (so you can't just pay a one-off fee and own it forever), but that is just how it is with domain names, for all intents and purposes though, it is your domain whilst it is within the period that it has been registered for
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247669
    2. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…57120
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769607
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314661

See more discussions